New project - TG’s Faital 3 way classic 15”

Ok, Wagner are ordering me a replacement tweeter ring, they have a shipment leaving SB Acoustics tomorrow so that's good timing, will have it by the end of the month.

What do we think it will cost, guesses?  The guy didn't have a price for me yet so will wait and see what price is on the link he sends through today for me to order.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woohoo!!   for reference, that’s a 60 inch TV.  It’s a bit difficult to get a perspective on that photo.  The entertainment unit is 2m wide.  

Howdy folks, ordered and paid yesterday for the tweeters, crossover components and various bits and pieces from Jantzen Audio, I went for the more basic kit with fabric tweeters and the lower (but sti

Well, the wood screws provided appear to be a slightly narrower head diameter than the holes on the 15" woofer.  Enough to have a listen, but a couple have just screwed straight through flush on the w

Pulled out the woofer to drill for the larger screws.  Found this floating around inside.  Had used it to clamp the tweeter box.  Whoops..

79E346B9-65A2-46F0-8852-83F183111B00.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Pulled out the woofer to drill for the larger screws.  Found this floating around inside.  Had used it to clamp the tweeter box.  Whoops..

79E346B9-65A2-46F0-8852-83F183111B00.jpeg

Haha! That would have caused no end of pain!

My friend thought he heard something clunk inside when we first moved the speaker.  I didn't hear anything, i guess as a studio guy he has pretty keen ears.  Anyway glad i found it!

Prepping front baffle tonight, the woofer hole needs to be slightly widened, the woofer's too tight at present.  Few coats of poly before it's ready for installation.  I'll do a dry fit at lunch today with vinyl to ensure it fits.

Fits ok, next up more coats of poly.   

FA131646-410F-4649-8478-4001CFA0679B.jpeg

55820CF6-2EAE-42D8-A1A8-CC36E6872989.jpeg

Wait... not quite. 

being thorough is a PITA ;)

EA66113A-8BAE-4E41-AECD-B4120C358BF9.jpeg

89E9232A-3C2B-49F9-9963-0C54B9117CF3.jpeg

• Like 1

Moral of the story: Patience.  
thought I could poly over the spray black on the rear baffle tonight after spraying a second coat coat at 7:30 this morning.  No dice. 
will give it a spray again tomorrow. 

Front baffle first coat of wipe on poly done.  
Realised the poly will need till next week to harden up enough for clamping.  Away this weekend so no stereo till then..

9E3FF1D5-59C4-4DC8-A88A-2488F97D0CBC.jpeg

Edited by Janus77

What does everyone think on grill socket placement?

I'm thinking this looks pretty decent:

1586554806_grillsocketplacements.png.cc550e9c569b20684984360c84cf3b40.png

12 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

What does everyone think on grill socket placement?

I'm thinking this looks pretty decent:

Love the symmetry of where you've put the holes!

6 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Thanks, or do i make it a little more simple?

I think so. This one is prob all that’s needed. 

• Like 1

Thanks @aris that's the way i'm leaning too.  The first is a little too busy at the top.  The frames are quite strong so i think the 2nd will work well.

• Like 1

Or a 3rd option:

It's a rough quickie, the 2nd and 3rd sockets from the top would each need to be slightly lower to line up.  Idea would be more even spacing (thanks Brian :) )

does this site have a vote function?

413196516_grillsocketplacements.3.png.06e4cfea6ccd60ab76b98a6f06b8f778.png

Edited by Janus77
2 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

I think i'm liking no.3..

number 2 IMO less is more.  In fact I would suggest no cover, enjoy all that hard work each time you sit down.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, PKay said:

number 2 IMO less is more.  In fact I would suggest no cover, enjoy all that hard work each time you sit down.

The covers will be off regularly, however with small kids around i'd like to remove the temptation to touch the dust caps when not using them. 

3rd one, with 2nd and 3rd ones down a bit more.

I'd probably want to reduce line-up risk by only using 4 per side, but I don't really know what "pegscatchers" you are using.

Which is which? Looks like both need pretty large holes.

Does that mean a smallish pilot hole, then a spade bit?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/tools/tool-accessories/drill-bits/spade-drill-bits?page=1&facets=CategoryIdPath%3D60006b20-9723-40c3-b004-ec1d420f8129%2CSubCategoryIdPath%3D6ba124f8-9d89-4388-9047-1fe3e1df5a8d&sort=BoostOrder&pageSize=60

It allows you to drill a hole with a flat bottom (apart from the centring part in the middle). Cheap and good, especially modern ones.

You need the pilot hole to be not too big, or it could wobble destructively. Apart from that, they cut cleanly and are quite fun. They also let you know (just when the spade part makes its first contact) if you are holding your drill perpendicular or not. Drilling to a specific depth might be challenging.

Ah thanks I know the bits just didn’t know their name.  

I’d planned to just use a regular drill bit and some glue.  Using a 2.5mm first for accuracy then a larger at the diameter of the socket.  

so my next job is drilling the grill frames and baffles, but I can’t lift the speaker anymore so I’m waiting to run into someone in the hallway who can help me out.  Just hanging around really listening for the sound of doors opening.  Hah. What a creep!

• Like 1

They've probably heard some of the stuff you're into ... and hear you coming.

Got any DIY mechanic mates?

SCA Engine Crane Folding 1000kg, , scaau_hi-res

• Haha 2

Any ideas on the best way to cut this line?  Haven’t cut a curved line before.  
I have access to hand saws and a jigsaw.  

CA4736A5-B38E-4A30-ABAB-5D8354DE90AF.jpeg

Ok one speaker completed!!!

the mesh might be a little tight.  I actually didn’t drill the middle plug but I might need to just to hold it straight.  

still it looks good.  

5E18EFFF-46A7-4049-BAB6-3EEE80B73E4F.jpeg

AB53ECA7-561F-40AF-BC32-34DB70A3BEDB.jpeg

94BAF614-2648-4B4E-B1F3-0D6375E35582.jpeg

848BA59C-2F4A-4B15-8EAC-8467C0A19D96.jpeg

E7C07E00-C596-4545-974F-4433E08E3817.jpeg

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 3

And I’ve locked myself out of the apartment.  Well, no more building till next week.  Baffles need to cure properly anyway..

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

And I’ve locked myself out of the apartment.  Well, no more building till next week.  Baffles need to cure properly anyway..

Oh no. Definitely looks much better with the red front. 

Agreed, the whole point is to have them look good with the grills off.  Grills on I wanted them fairly innocuous.  Pretty pleased with the first speaker.  
hopefully the second finishes up just as well.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

Agreed, the whole point is to have them look good with the grills off.  Grills on I wanted them fairly innocuous.  Pretty pleased with the first speaker.  
hopefully the second finishes up just as well.  

The second should be even better and hopefully quicker.  You should be very proud of your new speakers. I would be if I made something as good as that. 

Hopefully when I retire the men’s shed will have enough tools. Only problem is that it will take about 4 old blokes to move those things. 

They are quite heavy.  
hopefully have no.2 finished Tuesday.  
Am ready for a rest.  

• Like 1

$175 locksmith call out later..

Drilled the middle plug hole in the grill frame.  I moved the jig in slightly to force the edge out a bit.  It’s countered the very slight bow nicely :)

Will liquid nails the plugs in next week. The sockets are in firmly, they won’t come out easily.  

Another coat of poly this evening on the front and rear baffles.  Cabinet is ready for vinyl.  
Sunday night vinyl and rear baffle with crossovers in.  Drill front baffle for drivers if I have time. 
Monday night front baffle into cabinet.  
Tuesday drill front baffle for grill sockets and drill grill frame, install fabric mesh and glue plugs into place on both grill frames.  

And that’s it folks.  So close.  

I have this vision of the speakers on wheels, however I’ll wait till I’ve heard them on stands first, then try the wheels and see if I can tell any difference in SQ.  I don’t think I will, not at the volumes we’ll play them at given we live in an apartment block.  

9CB27D29-8002-4850-9B31-53C0351B2745.jpeg

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Janus77 said:

$175 locksmith call out later..

Drilled the middle plug hole in the grill frame.  I moved the jig in slightly to force the edge out a bit.  It’s countered the very slight bow nicely :)

Will liquid nails the plugs in next week. The sockets are in firmly, they won’t come out easily.  

Another coat of poly this evening on the front and rear baffles.  Cabinet is ready for vinyl.  
Sunday night vinyl and rear baffle with crossovers in.  Drill front baffle for drivers if I have time. 
Monday night front baffle into cabinet.  
Tuesday drill front baffle for grill sockets and drill grill frame, install fabric mesh and glue plugs into place on both grill frames.  

And that’s it folks.  So close.  

I have this vision of the speakers on wheels, however I’ll wait till I’ve heard them on stands first, then try the wheels and see if I can tell any difference in SQ.  I don’t think I will, not at the volumes we’ll play them at given we live in an apartment block.  

9CB27D29-8002-4850-9B31-53C0351B2745.jpeg

Ready for Australia Day party on Tuesday. Congratulations on an awesome job.  How many hours of time so far and to finish?

13 hours ago, PKay said:

Ready for Australia Day party on Tuesday. Congratulations on an awesome job.  How many hours of time so far and to finish?

Thanks PK.

**edit - Very hard to say, I reckon I’m probably 100hrs in, and maybe 4hrs of work left to finish the 2nd Speaker.  
the workshop course was officially 15hrs, I probably used it another 50hrs outside of class times, the finishing has taken quite a bit of time.  Hmm maybe not even 100, sorry I haven’t kept track (wish I had).

Edited by Janus77

Thanks, Hugh, I've just finished something on my own build!  12ga screws epoxied black, fitted to my 15" woofers. (Now they sound good ☺️).

So just to finish from my perspective, what I had in use were 10ga x 38mm self-tappers, and I'm sure these are quite adequate for the job.

What I put in were what I advised a few posts ago: 12ga x 38mm. The baffles needed re-drilling with the 4.5mm pilot hole, as discussed. The bigger screws only just fitted in the woofer holes, which is great I guess, but they transition to needing a Phillips #3 screwdriver, so really quite a serious size.

May our woofers never fall out!

• Like 2

Great Project.

Have you done any  live measurements ? 

Personally a https://cannonsound.com.au/collections/duratex  bloke although it's not for everyone. Have found tho, my own projects after decades of use re coat really nicely and in a jiffy.

Well done, I hope you enjoy them for many years to come. 

Edited by Dirkgerman
  • Like 1

Thanks, no I haven’t finished the project yet so no measurements. Don’t think I’ll bother, Troels lists on axis measurements on his website, off axis I’m not too bothered they sound a lot better off axis than my current speakers so doesn’t worry me.  

• Like 2

Back into it.  Aim to have rear baffle glued tonight.  

blue mountains really is a stunning part of Australia.  The vegetation is so nice and varied.  

64AB3347-D801-4720-92CB-5AF32CBFEA35.jpeg

4F6ED766-02A8-4B72-B3A7-33B60F6D15ED.jpeg

• Like 2

Maybe not feasible. Need help lifting it on.  Will wait till tomorrow night.  Poly could use another day to cure. 

600E2A08-87A8-4050-918C-F9D8BB2A7170.jpeg

On 12/01/2021 at 7:21 PM, Janus77 said:

Anyone feel like coming over to cut some felt,  had enlisted help which is now asleep on the couch.  4 cuts in..

82CCCE2C-64C0-43AB-BEB7-C0CAB7DF2DFB.jpeg

Hello Hugh

Can you please tell me which felt you're using and where you purchased it? 

Cheers

Pete