New project - TG’s Faital 3 way classic 15”

Janus77

12 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

This is probably not so helpful, but it's good to see you put your pants back on for the second photo :)  :)

there are some benefits to working from home..

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

I doubt that your balanced amp likes having one of the signals shorted to its earth.

I can't see a way around this. In the other direction (balanced pre to unbalanced power) it would seem a more possible compromise.

How good is it, listening to the pawnshop sessions on 1 speaker, and my kids start clapping after the song along with the crowd.  

I’ve mixed feelings on this amp channel. This may bring some plans forward pretty quickly.  
next thread: “which dac/pre for Hughie?”

the Brooklyn is a nice looking unit, but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra coin over the RME for only MQA..

maybe it’s just the xylophone and a glass of wine turning my mind to fancies?

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 1

@Janus77

Just spend a few Dollars and buy this cable: https://djcity.com.au/product/connex-xmrc-3t-xlr-to-rca-twin-cable-3m/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAst2BBhDJARIsAGo2ldWPXZDiFP7gVpjB1JmG48pmlKXbqitf5tV9H-FUc8Sa6TmasfKx-78aAvC1EALw_wcB

At least then you can test properly

Otherwise keep up the good work, I really enmjoy your posts

• Thanks 1

I have used those adapters from Jaycar with zero issues.

Jaycar also sell a rca to xlr cord and they have a pretty decent rca cord for around $30.

The idea behind balanced connections is for long runs on stages.  As interconnects they are apparently no better.

I set up an awesome system for a mate of mine using two of the yamaha px8 class D amps - one on the 18 inch subs and one on the 15 inch full range. They are only about $1k each brand new. I have used both houshold pre amps with xlr to rca cords and  mixers with fully balanced connections on these amps. They are fully digital and configurable with crossover points and high and low pass filters. Some audiophiles might laugh, but these produce an extremely clean and powerful signal. The volume of my mates system is obscene if you want to drive it hard with zero distortion and also produces very nice, full background music on speakers that are designed for stage rather than house.

What amp exactly are you trying?

Those amps are generally measured in "20millisecond burst power" so hard to compare to rms but we did run a 200 watt rms Ross on the 96dB 15 inch and once we hooked up the px8 (800w) we did get a nicer sound once pushed hard, probably because it is a much more modern amp. The important thing though is that the px 8 has the power to effortlessly drive the big subs. 

I'll be interested to hear how it sounds for you once you get it running.

• Like 2

The pre amp is a Yamaha ax570, a channel blew previously and I had it repaired.  I think it’s just at the end of its days.  
the power amp is a home made unit a friend lent me, he’s a sound engineer.  

aris mentioned he was very impressed with the PX5 too.  

I posted up in the chat about using a dac as pre amp, wish I could demo a few amps just to see.  Part of me thinks just buy a nice integrated to keep it simple.  

need to pull the AX back out of the entertainment unit and do a bit more testing.  No idea why I was getting feedback the first time I tried using it as a pre amp into the class d power amp.

Edited by Janus77

I swapped out the fans with slower RPM computer ones on my Yamaha PX5 to quieten it down for domestic use.

On the 3WC-15’s I use the PX5 on the bass and have tubes on the mid/treble, both running from a tube preamp. 

I’ve tried the PX5 full spectrum and found it clean on the top end but prefer tubes on these speakers, there’s just that bit more finesse and space. For the bass, there’s no contest, the PX5 is just tighter.

I’d be interested in how @Janus77 you find the Class D sounds vs the AB Yamaha. 

Aris

Edited by aris
  • Like 2

My mate works 7 days a week and his wife just had a baby so I don’t want to bother him too much about the amp.  

I’ll have a play around later, I want try direct out of the dac which has RCA out, and bypass the ax570.  

• Like 1

Ok the RCA out from the dac, to the power amp xlr inputs via adapters works, but I still get a feedback sound, and for some reason one channel has less gain than the other.  I’ve swapped the cables around and it’s definitely the power amp.  
the feedback sound isn’t bad and definitely doesn’t change if I adjust the volume.  

hmm.  Guess I go back to my 40w Rotel for the moment .

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, aris said:

How’re the 3WC-15’s settling in? Did you get the class d amp working on them?

Hi Aris, the 3wc just keep getting better, i'm very happy.  I didn't manage to get the class D amp working, i plugged it in using adapters but one channel was much louder than the other, and  there was some horrible feedback.  After trying, my Yamaha amp blew a channel, so i had to go back to my 40 Rotel (with no pre out). 

Still hoping to try the class D amp out.  I picked up a 2nd hand 150w/8ohm amp yesterday which is delivering a significant improvement in bass, it's just tighter, punchier and much more resolved in general, wow.

The new amp has pre out so i might have another go at the class D amp for fun.

Have you decided on your next project yet?

• 2 months later...
On 30/01/2021 at 1:02 AM, Janus77 said:

Well wow, the amount of sound coming out of these speakers is phenomenal, and not just volume but range.  I almost think that I could feel the breath of wind of someone walking past in a recording.  Gave them a solid 5hrs.   
Not exactly sure how to explain how good these things are.

Even at low volume late night listening, the full spectrum of sound is there, the low end is incredible.  I understand what Troels meant about “lightness of bass” in his review when talking about high efficiency.  The woofer just puts so much sound out there, but it’s the other end of the spectrum from “doof doof”, it’s warm and it goes very very low.  
stayed up way too late listening.  I think I’ve just had a lesson on what bass is, I’ve been confusing it with sub woofer style performance, but there’s far more to it than that.  

listening position still not perfect.  Will have to use the wheels.  The speakers are too high and they are just way too imposing like they’re set up at the moment.  Drop them maybe 12-15cm.   My friend across the hall suggested to push them back closer to the wall to tighten up the sound even more, which will help as my wife was/is a bit shocked by the size.   

The sound performance of these speakers is incredible.  Even at low volume it’s detailed and warm.  WOW.  Very happy boy :)

Aris I’m keen to get your thoughts on my thoughts ;) like a reaction to reaction post.   Hehe.  

time for bed.  

Simply awesome. I reckon you could charge by the hour for guys like me to come and listen to them.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i have a Dayton Audio Umm6 measurement microphone on the way for my current micro bookshelf build.  Side effect of this is i'll end up measuring my 3wc's too, which may lead me to the room treatment section of the forum.  Will be interesting learning about measurements and room effects etc.

fun fun.  Still falling down the rabbit hole.

will be sure to post some results (and further questions)

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you are set on pre-pro route Hugh then I've really enjoyed my Crown XLS 2500 at the end of an Onkyo surround preamp. 

But I've given up chasing big power as high efficiency speakers just don't need it IMHO.

Actually I love old Yamaha integrated amps like yours. I've got an AX-570 powering my KG 5.5's in the lounge, AX-592 in the games room running mint condition T-120's and an AX-550 in my HT!

I got as high end as a Rotel RB-1092 (500x2 ice amps) which was tops but no better than the XLS at a fraction of the cost and I just got bored with interconnects, feedback loops etc.

It's been relief to step off the upgrade OCD train and just enjoy simple, cheap and great sounding electronics.

I think it's telling that Dr Geddes would demo his OS waveguide high efficiency speakers at trade shows with a $1000 Pioneer receiver....

So impressed with your build. Inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Maz4bz

Thanks Maz for the kind words. 

I ended up buying a 2nd hand Vincent SV-237, which has a tube pre amp and Class A(to 10w)/B power amp section delivering a healthy 150wpc into 8 ohms.  It sounds great. 

This amp gives the bass much more kick (in email discussion with Troels he confirmed he finds higher power amps do something more for even the high efficiency bass drivers).

I gave up on the idea of putting an amp together myself, it's beyond my skillset, and frankly I don't think i have the capacity to learn what's required to get a good result there.

I need to do some measurements and room correction - there's some bloom in the bass region, however the sound is still engaging at all volume levels.  I do enjoy the loudness function on the amp at very low listening levels which boosts the bass and treble.

Listening to my next door neighbor's new Duntech Princess, the bass is so clean and tight which is likely due to them being a sealed design, however it does make me realise the tighter bass is the more enjoyable for music, you notice it less, but the overall balance is better.

It's an addictive hobby this one, and plenty to learn which is proving to be a lot of fun :)

I'm looking forward to getting some free time to read through your KG5.5 update and 2.5 way conversion thread.

Edited by Janus77

• 2 years later...