New project - TG’s Faital 3 way classic 15”

Janus77

9 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

11 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

More and more I’m hunting for live recordings, seems there’s nothing better than a really good live recording for me, lots of nuances in the crowd participation etc.  

If you like a little Jazz, check out the Live at the Pawnshop series.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, aris said:

Make sure (I’m sure you know this apologies for preaching to the choir) to match the gain of top and bottom end power amps.

Staightforward but must be done. 

Thanks Aris.   I’m only using 1 power amp for all drivers though so shouldn’t be any need to worry about gain I think?

28 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

If you like a little Jazz, check out the Live at the Pawnshop series.

First track I’m listening to has the biggest (and probably only) xylophone solo I’ve heard.  
good tunes thanks :)

• Like 1

Listening to some Jeff Buckley live the other night I forget what the concert was. Sine E or something, sensational.  

this Pawnshop series is great so far, good call.  

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BioBrian said:

That's heartening to hear, it's just that these days I'd be worried about the stream of counsellors and lawyers (or worse) knocking on the door claiming abuse, and whatever other trendy accusations they can conjure up. Some aspects of the present are pretty dismal!

Amen to that.

I'll try to be polite ;) 

4 hours ago, BioBrian said:

I agree, and this has had surprisingly little discussion, to my knowledge. Since joking about putting them up as surround speakers once, I've often wondered about how to measure them in free air - and the tractor's the only way I can think of, but I'm really not up to that right now, however appealing the concept is.

I feel this thread should not be swamped with miscellaneous adventures unrelated to Hugh's project, or at least the Faital 3WC-15 design in particular.

See @Sierra's "Another Troels Gravesen's DTQWT Project Build" thread as an example: from memory, I'm guilty as the initial perpetrator of its becoming a general repository for anything DTQWT-related, despite his extraordinary generosity and encouragement.

I'd like to see more reporting of Hugh's comparisons and tweaks, as they unfold, all in good time - nails getting short here, Hugh...

Hey Brian - Yes it had become quite the repository for DTQWT information.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Janus77 said:

Thanks Aris.   I’m only using 1 power amp for all drivers though so shouldn’t be any need to worry about gain I think?

Apols, I keep thinking you'll be bi-amping; with a single amp of course gain is what it is.

6 hours ago, aris said:

Apols, I keep thinking you'll be bi-amping; with a single amp of course gain is what it is.

:) I appreciate the comments anyway, I hope to buy-amp eventually.  Will have a few questions on how to get this done when the time comes.  Thanks. 

12 hours ago, Janus77 said:

First track I’m listening to has the biggest (and probably only) xylophone solo I’ve heard.  
good tunes thanks :)

Don''t want to turn this into a suggested music post, but one album I discovered recently is well worth the listen is Ernest Raglan Below the Bass line. 

• Like 3

Well it aint working so far.. getting a heap of weird feedback sound through the speakers, even with the pre amp volume at zero.  I do get volume when i turn it up though, feedback remains, it doesn't appear to increase with the volume changes.

Edited by Janus77

Thanks for the quick replies Brian, i'll forgive the joke.. (mine are as bad if not worse)

I've got an integrated with RCA pre out, so i have an RCA cable, and i've bought some RCA-->XLR adapters which go into the balanced XLR inputs on the power amp.

will post up a photo of the adapters with my phone.

E64CAC97-C29D-4A57-8DCA-B072259E92F0.jpeg

ECB5D907-1E99-455F-B46E-E2FCA557302E.jpeg

There are folk around who'd say that's all you need. (Nonsense of course - if you spend $1k+, everything will work fine - there's another one to forgive).

Red is R channel, White is L channel; don't use the yellow. (Sure you got that right, but useless going on if not).

The 2 standards for XLR mean your signal could be getting through the adaptor out of phase, or making an earth loop, or worse. The earthing part is what I would suspect most, in giving you bad noises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

Scroll down to "3-pin in audio use" and you'll get the US (and most of the rest of the world; FGS somebody tell Luxman etc the war's over) version of correct wiring - you could check if Pin 1 is connected to the outside of the RCA part, and you should find out from the amp owner what standard the XLR connectors adhere to, so your signals (+ve and -ve, as opposed to ground) will not be out of phase.

[Edit: with the adaptor, 2 of the pins have to be joined - need to find out if they did the right ones for your amp].

Pretzels may not be enough on their own.

Edited by BioBrian

The amp owner advised:

pin 1 earth

pin 2 live

pin 3 return

I can see 1, 2 and 3 printed inside the XRL adapter on the xlr end, if i hold it so the centre pin is at the bottom, it's 1 on the left, 3 (for the bottom centre pin) and 2 on the right.  Not sure how i figure out how this translates to the RCA part?

Would earthing my pre amp potentially help?  There is a ground point on the back..

Edited by Janus77

Here's another question, trawling for answers to the RCA problem i came across a thread where March audio was talking about someone having twisted the wires incorrectly inside an amplifier.

Was there a certain way i was meant to twist the wires on the crossovers?? i twisted them a little where i could, but some of the crossover-->binding post wires were not twisted at all, is this an issue?  I didn't even know wires needed to be twisted!

I doubt that your balanced amp likes having one of the signals shorted to its earth.

Joining the chassis and signal earths might be causing it, but you're stuck with that if using these adaptors.

Maybe @Bill125812 could help you?

Twisting wires the wrong way causes an electrical fault? Or is it a physical thing? New to me. Doubt that's causing your present issue.

Edited by BioBrian

• Volunteer

1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

The cables could be the culprit.  They’re old and horrible, and all I could find. 

D1CFCA16-C589-4259-B165-237C05911D50.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

The wire is connected to pin 2, 1 and 3 appear to be earthed to the adapter chassis.

3E70E657-0CCC-47DD-B2D5-9DD5BB707936.jpeg

This is probably not so helpful, but it's good to see you put your pants back on for the second photo :)  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Bill125812 said:

@Janus77  Oh wow that’s messy.  How about I just make you up a xlr to rca cables for free 

wow!!

hi Bill, that’s a VERY generous offer thank you.  However I’m only borrowing the amp for a demo for a few days, so the cable would likely only get a few days use before being resigned to a drawer.  Would seem a bit of a waste to make one up for me!

thankyou! 

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 1