New project - TG’s Faital 3 way classic 15”

Janus77

Or a 3rd option:

It's a rough quickie, the 2nd and 3rd sockets from the top would each need to be slightly lower to line up.  Idea would be more even spacing (thanks Brian :) )

does this site have a vote function?

413196516_grillsocketplacements.3.png.06e4cfea6ccd60ab76b98a6f06b8f778.png

Edited by Janus77

2 minutes ago, PKay said:

number 2 IMO less is more.  In fact I would suggest no cover, enjoy all that hard work each time you sit down.

The covers will be off regularly, however with small kids around i'd like to remove the temptation to touch the dust caps when not using them. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/tools/tool-accessories/drill-bits/spade-drill-bits?page=1&facets=CategoryIdPath%3D60006b20-9723-40c3-b004-ec1d420f8129%2CSubCategoryIdPath%3D6ba124f8-9d89-4388-9047-1fe3e1df5a8d&sort=BoostOrder&pageSize=60

It allows you to drill a hole with a flat bottom (apart from the centring part in the middle). Cheap and good, especially modern ones.

You need the pilot hole to be not too big, or it could wobble destructively. Apart from that, they cut cleanly and are quite fun. They also let you know (just when the spade part makes its first contact) if you are holding your drill perpendicular or not. Drilling to a specific depth might be challenging.

Ah thanks I know the bits just didn’t know their name.  

I’d planned to just use a regular drill bit and some glue.  Using a 2.5mm first for accuracy then a larger at the diameter of the socket.  

so my next job is drilling the grill frames and baffles, but I can’t lift the speaker anymore so I’m waiting to run into someone in the hallway who can help me out.  Just hanging around really listening for the sound of doors opening.  Hah. What a creep!

• Like 1

Ok one speaker completed!!!

the mesh might be a little tight.  I actually didn’t drill the middle plug but I might need to just to hold it straight.  

still it looks good.  

5E18EFFF-46A7-4049-BAB6-3EEE80B73E4F.jpeg

AB53ECA7-561F-40AF-BC32-34DB70A3BEDB.jpeg

94BAF614-2648-4B4E-B1F3-0D6375E35582.jpeg

848BA59C-2F4A-4B15-8EAC-8467C0A19D96.jpeg

E7C07E00-C596-4545-974F-4433E08E3817.jpeg

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

And I’ve locked myself out of the apartment.  Well, no more building till next week.  Baffles need to cure properly anyway..

Oh no. Definitely looks much better with the red front. 

Agreed, the whole point is to have them look good with the grills off.  Grills on I wanted them fairly innocuous.  Pretty pleased with the first speaker.  
hopefully the second finishes up just as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

Agreed, the whole point is to have them look good with the grills off.  Grills on I wanted them fairly innocuous.  Pretty pleased with the first speaker.  
hopefully the second finishes up just as well.  

The second should be even better and hopefully quicker.  You should be very proud of your new speakers. I would be if I made something as good as that. 

Hopefully when I retire the men’s shed will have enough tools. Only problem is that it will take about 4 old blokes to move those things. 

$175 locksmith call out later..

Drilled the middle plug hole in the grill frame.  I moved the jig in slightly to force the edge out a bit.  It’s countered the very slight bow nicely :)

Will liquid nails the plugs in next week. The sockets are in firmly, they won’t come out easily.  

Another coat of poly this evening on the front and rear baffles.  Cabinet is ready for vinyl.  
Sunday night vinyl and rear baffle with crossovers in.  Drill front baffle for drivers if I have time. 
Monday night front baffle into cabinet.  
Tuesday drill front baffle for grill sockets and drill grill frame, install fabric mesh and glue plugs into place on both grill frames.  

And that’s it folks.  So close.  

I have this vision of the speakers on wheels, however I’ll wait till I’ve heard them on stands first, then try the wheels and see if I can tell any difference in SQ.  I don’t think I will, not at the volumes we’ll play them at given we live in an apartment block.  

9CB27D29-8002-4850-9B31-53C0351B2745.jpeg

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Janus77 said:

$175 locksmith call out later..

Drilled the middle plug hole in the grill frame.  I moved the jig in slightly to force the edge out a bit.  It’s countered the very slight bow nicely :)

Will liquid nails the plugs in next week. The sockets are in firmly, they won’t come out easily.  

Another coat of poly this evening on the front and rear baffles.  Cabinet is ready for vinyl.  
Sunday night vinyl and rear baffle with crossovers in.  Drill front baffle for drivers if I have time. 
Monday night front baffle into cabinet.  
Tuesday drill front baffle for grill sockets and drill grill frame, install fabric mesh and glue plugs into place on both grill frames.  

And that’s it folks.  So close.  

I have this vision of the speakers on wheels, however I’ll wait till I’ve heard them on stands first, then try the wheels and see if I can tell any difference in SQ.  I don’t think I will, not at the volumes we’ll play them at given we live in an apartment block.  

9CB27D29-8002-4850-9B31-53C0351B2745.jpeg

Ready for Australia Day party on Tuesday. Congratulations on an awesome job.  How many hours of time so far and to finish?

13 hours ago, PKay said:

Ready for Australia Day party on Tuesday. Congratulations on an awesome job.  How many hours of time so far and to finish?

Thanks PK.

**edit - Very hard to say, I reckon I’m probably 100hrs in, and maybe 4hrs of work left to finish the 2nd Speaker.  
the workshop course was officially 15hrs, I probably used it another 50hrs outside of class times, the finishing has taken quite a bit of time.  Hmm maybe not even 100, sorry I haven’t kept track (wish I had).

Edited by Janus77

Thanks, Hugh, I've just finished something on my own build!  12ga screws epoxied black, fitted to my 15" woofers. (Now they sound good ☺️).

So just to finish from my perspective, what I had in use were 10ga x 38mm self-tappers, and I'm sure these are quite adequate for the job.

What I put in were what I advised a few posts ago: 12ga x 38mm. The baffles needed re-drilling with the 4.5mm pilot hole, as discussed. The bigger screws only just fitted in the woofer holes, which is great I guess, but they transition to needing a Phillips #3 screwdriver, so really quite a serious size.

May our woofers never fall out!

• Like 2