New project - TG’s Faital 3 way classic 15”

Janus77

I can see how people end up not finishing speakers.  Once they're operational it's very hard to motivate yourself to do further work.

Grill frames will be my last job for this project before i take them upstairs to our living room.  I MUST do this before plugging them in again, if i start listening i'm unlikely to even get them home for a good while.

If i need stands, it's likely to be cinder blocks covered in material until i get my mojo back to go to the workshop again.  Or even the stands for my Pardigm's would work at a pinch i guess though they're a smaller footprint so not a great option with young kids around.

Back to the build:

Just sanded back the front baffle ready for wipe on polyurethane.

Will try and sand the cabinet before my lunch break ends.  Second cabinet is a great fit already for baffles etc, nothing much needing to be fine tuned.  Hopefully goes quickly.

Edited by Janus77

6 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

It's not a yes-or-no answer, unfortunately. I've recently put off building hifi racks, for want of an answer to this. If you use a high-mass material it's going to take a lot more energy to make it resonate, but if it does, it won't want to stop.

I used some Herbies Fat Dots between my speakers and stands to isolate them.

Ok, purchased some 12ga screws to put the woofer in.  The supports are about 38mm thick, they only had 30 or 40mm screws so i opted for the 30mm.  They're large enough to hold the woofer firmly for sure.

I've applied a coat of epoxy spray, will do another tomorrow.

If the paint chips as i'm installing them, i'll just paint a bit on with a small brush.

Now, I've drilled the holes for the woofer screws with a 2.5mm bit which i've already screwed 8g screws into, will this be enough for me to screw the 12g screws into, or will i risk splitting the wood?  There's roughly 10mm of wood between the screw hole and the edge of the driver circular cutout.

Appreciate any advice on this, thanks.

0FB837BC-79EE-4AC7-8A9A-DF67AF4AC323.jpeg

Edited by Janus77

1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

Now, I've drilled the holes for the woofer screws with a 2.5mm bit which i've already screwed 8g screws into, will this be enough for me to screw the 12g screws into, or will i risk splitting the wood?  There's roughly 10mm of wood between the screw hole and the edge of the driver circular cutout.

Appreciate any advice on this, thanks.

Just tried it out. 4mm is too tight.

4.5mm is just right for 12ga.

10 minutes ago, aris said:

I’m thinking paint at this stage :)

Aris

The thought of taking the drivers out and taping them all up to spray... I understand your tardiness.  It’s a balance between spouse frustration and enjoying them as they are.  The trouble with hooking them up before they’re finished.. 

what colour, white like you originally planned?

i think the original colour scheme you planned looked amazing.  

Edited by Janus77
  • Like 1

Planning to install felt in 2nd speaker tonight.  Hopefully we stop at half a bottle of red or it may not happen.  I had to bring my dac and rca back to our place for my wife to listen to music so I can’t even listen to the completed speaker at this stage.  Good motivation to get them finished.  

1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

Planning to install felt in 2nd speaker tonight.  Hopefully we stop at half a bottle of red or it may not happen.  I had to bring my dac and rca back to our place for my wife to listen to music so I can’t even listen to the completed speaker at this stage.  Good motivation to get them finished.  

I have made plenty of, erm, “design improvements” because of a bottle of red!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Janus77 said:

The thought of taking the drivers out and taping them all up to spray... I understand your tardiness.  It’s a balance between spouse frustration and enjoying them as they are.  The trouble with hooking them up before they’re finished.. 

what colour, white like you originally planned?

i think the original colour scheme you planned looked amazing.  

You only have to check out my own build to see I spent 4 months listening to them unfinished - taking out the drivers to paint takes a good deal of motivation (some might say half a bottle of it...) ?

• Like 2

Excellent progress tonight, the first time I’ve done more than I’d planned!

Felt installed, and wires for drivers soldered to crossovers.

1 more coat of black for the rear baffle tomorrow then a few coats of poly.  Still need to clean the front baffle up a little.   Need to test fit with some vinyl cutouts.  Would be a disaster to rip the vinyl as I’m trying to place a baffle in covered in glue.

thinking I might be listening in stereo by Friday evening if I’m lucky.  

• Like 1

Ok, Wagner are ordering me a replacement tweeter ring, they have a shipment leaving SB Acoustics tomorrow so that's good timing, will have it by the end of the month.

What do we think it will cost, guesses?  The guy didn't have a price for me yet so will wait and see what price is on the link he sends through today for me to order.

2 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Pulled out the woofer to drill for the larger screws.  Found this floating around inside.  Had used it to clamp the tweeter box.  Whoops..

79E346B9-65A2-46F0-8852-83F183111B00.jpeg

Haha! That would have caused no end of pain!

My friend thought he heard something clunk inside when we first moved the speaker.  I didn't hear anything, i guess as a studio guy he has pretty keen ears.  Anyway glad i found it!

Prepping front baffle tonight, the woofer hole needs to be slightly widened, the woofer's too tight at present.  Few coats of poly before it's ready for installation.  I'll do a dry fit at lunch today with vinyl to ensure it fits.

Moral of the story: Patience.  
thought I could poly over the spray black on the rear baffle tonight after spraying a second coat coat at 7:30 this morning.  No dice. 
will give it a spray again tomorrow. 

Front baffle first coat of wipe on poly done.  
Realised the poly will need till next week to harden up enough for clamping.  Away this weekend so no stereo till then..

9E3FF1D5-59C4-4DC8-A88A-2488F97D0CBC.jpeg

Edited by Janus77