New project - TG’s Faital 3 way classic 15”

Janus77

That vinyl is certainly a mood-changer. It does seem like cheating, not having all the mess and drama of sanding and painting for days on end. Looking serious now!

I didn't see "gluing in the tweeter boxes" on the list. Would it not be easier to fit them after fitting front baffle, before the rear one?

All coming together very suddenly. Not surprised you're a bit excited, Hugh. You may not be alone!

43 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

That vinyl is certainly a mood-changer. It does seem like cheating, not having all the mess and drama of sanding and painting for days on end. Looking serious now!

I didn't see "gluing in the tweeter boxes" on the list. Would it not be easier to fit them after fitting front baffle, before the rear one?

All coming together very suddenly. Not surprised you're a bit excited, Hugh. You may not be alone!

Good to hear from you Brian :)

yep tweeter boxes after gluing in front baffles.  Planning to do the rear baffle first then the front baffle, that way crossovers are in and all I need to do is thread the wire through the tweeter box and attach to tweeter.  

the vinyl is a bit of a cheat, but in some cases it’s the destination, not the journey ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janus77 said:

the vinyl is a bit of a cheat, but in some cases it’s the destination, not the journey ;)

Gentle dig noted and appreciated; let's talk about that one after the honeymoon ? ?.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rob Wright said:

These are shaping up to be a speaker of both immense power and beauty. Can you do a video of them playing when they are done?

definitely.  I only have an iPhone though, no high quality microphones.  

My friend who runs the recording studio across the road (sound engineer) advises me against using the castors.  I’ve decided to leave them off for now, will listen for a while then install them and try to work out if there’s any impact on performance.  
I’m not a great one for taking advice, but I think it’s finally sunk in - plenty of members following this thread have advised against them too ..

1 minute ago, Rob Wright said:

He will certainly be able to hear them from across the road. My mate has a set of 96dB 15 inch. If you feed them with a 200w amp it is as loud as a disco at the local tavern

He’ll hear them from his apartment across the hallway too, though maybe not over his Duntech princess’. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

My friend who runs the recording studio across the road (sound engineer) advises me against using the castors.  I’ve decided to leave them off for now, will listen for a while then install them and try to work out if there’s any impact on performance.  

They may benefit from some RHS stands around  a foot high

Too heavy to lift by myself off the workhorses.  Need to turn it over so I can:

1. Tighten biding post bolts and attach wires.

2 install additional acoustic foam and wool

3. install tweeter box

4.  plug in drivers!

Should be able to plug it in for a test run today hopefully. 

D139441E-1625-4438-95E7-659379AB8922.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Rob Wright said:

Wow.

Was there much trouble involved in doing the vinyl?

Hi Rob

I’d practiced the corner cuts a few times so they went well, main thing was ensuring it stayed aligned with the speaker as I wrapped it around.   Was glad it went smoothly without any huge hiccups. 

I dry fitted the front baffles to allow me to clamp the rear when gluing.  The box is too heavy to lift off the front baffle for me now.  Woke up at 5:30 keen to get them finished and reluctantly returned home for a coffee after realising I need help to lift them. 

my wife’s probably not going to be too impressed with being woken up for heavy lifting.  I’ll give her another 15..

• Haha 2

I just sold my Bose 901 V1 I bought new 26 years ago. The vinyl had only just started to peel up off a couple of the edges over the past 12 months. I wanted to re vinyl them but could never work out how to 1. get the old stuff off and 2. get the cabinets apart enough to do a decent job of it. I couldn't trust myself so I left it alone. 25 years isn't a bad run though.

Take her in a cup of coffee and some toast. She won't even realise your buttering her up until it's too late.

• Like 1