Does anyone know any details of the apparent demise of this Aussie speaker manufacturer from WA?  Prominent display at the 2015 Stereonet HiFi show.....

1 hour ago, ark said:

Thanks for the info Mr Z .  Strange the way that it ended.......shame really

Their speakers showed a lot of promise and genuine innovation and it is  sad that they were unable to continue. I actually went very close to buying a pair, but circumstances intervened.

There is much innovation at the top end of the market, but much less so at the affordable end  and this proves that manufacturing speakers is no path to a fortune.

They did have a bit of a problem though and despite the good engineering and R+D and the lovely timber work, there's no way around the fact that they were ugly, no way around it at all. That ring at the top of a box speaker design despite the gorgeous woodworking skills involved in making it was just wasted and perhaps more effort to integrate it into a complete traditional box speaker design might of yielded better sales.

I'm like Rantan, I nearly bought a pair but what held me back was the fact that were ordained to be orphans...no one would want them in a resale sense. And so it's proved.

I went to a Karri Acoustic speaker and amp demo in Fremantle, WA some time ago. There were quiet a few people there and free wine was served.

The wine did not help the fact that the music presented flat, or as one guy put it, AM radio.

Whether it was the acoustics of the venue or the amps or the speaker, who knows.

I for one thought there is no way any one would buy these speakers based on that presentation.

Craftsmanship alone does not sell a product in the long run.

8 minutes ago, Ihearmusic said:

I went to a Karri Acoustic speaker and amp demo in Fremantle, WA some time ago. There were quiet a few people there and free wine was served.

The wine did not help the fact that the music presented flat, or as one guy put it, AM radio.

Whether it was the acoustics of the venue or the amps or the speaker, who knows.

I for one thought there is no way any one would buy these speakers based on that presentation.

Craftsmanship alone does not sell a product in the long run.

Was there also, and agree totally, very disappointed for all concerned.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, teagle said:

Was there also, and agree totally, very disappointed for all concerned.

Yes, I was also in attendance that night.

A very tough room to get a good sound and if I remember correctly Troy had issues with his source and ended up using his PC to play files, less than desirable.

Its a tough gig putting yourself and product out there.

Kudos on him for having a crack, not easy making money out of hifi.

Oh, and the complimentary vino and beers were tasty....🍷🙏

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Mendes said:

Yes, I was also in attendance that night.

A very tough room to get a good sound and if I remember correctly Troy had issues with his source and ended up using his PC to play files, less than desirable.

Its a tough gig putting yourself and product out there.

Kudos on him for having a crack, not easy making money out of hifi.

Oh, and the complimentary vino and beers were tasty....🍷🙏

Also fully agree with your comments Steve. I was looking to replace my speakers at the time, & the thought of buying something made just down the road from me, was very appealing, especially as I really liked their appearance.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Luc said:

They did have a bit of a problem though and despite the good engineering and R+D and the lovely timber work, there's no way around the fact that they were ugly, no way around it at all. That ring at the top of a box speaker design despite the gorgeous woodworking skills involved in making it was just wasted and perhaps more effort to integrate it into a complete traditional box speaker design might of yielded better sales.

I'm like Rantan, I nearly bought a pair but what held me back was the fact that were ordained to be orphans...no one would want them in a resale sense. And so it's proved.

Agree 100%, especially about anybody who purchased a pair and who may wish to move them on.  A few of their "walpole" model have been sold here for cheap and if I ever noted a pair of these gong cheap I might be inclined to have a go.

Orphans indeed.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1