Recommend me a $2k headphone

They definately have different drivers. But in a model lineup of say 20, they may only have 2-3 different drivers. The SR80 isn't using the same as the GS3000e.....surely?

And desipte being "family owned, handmade", they are only assembled in their little factory in Brooklyn. Drivers thought to be China (most brands probably same here), wood cups possibly still in the US but outsourced, all other materials outsourced.

They look cool and have some good value options. But its not like ZMF for example.

Can you link me to the upgraded rods etc?

I'm trying to find a used pair too. Upgrade those. Crack them open and either hardwire in a Black Dragon cable, or some sort of detachable socket system.

Edited by Bengineer

I’ve done a bit of research and the plastic bits are injection moulded in house. I think this is why they won’t upgrade to cnc alloy parts because they are trying to recoup investment. I wish they would outsource these parts 

wood housings are outsourced to a family Freind 

drivers are apparently made in a separate factory on Long Island 

the assembly is obviously done in house by humans including mistakes that machines don’t make like cable wiring being reversed left to right

I have the GH4 which is great but the PS1000 is smoother, deeper and more refined but wether it’s worth $1600 more is hard to answer

We make value judgements all the time with our purchases headphones included

as much as I love the live, engaging sound of the Grado’s I’m honest about there shortcomings. I hated the fact I liked them more than the beautiful LCD2 but the proof is in the time they spend on your ears. 

Alloy parts can be found here. They took about 3 weeks to arrive 

https://www.shipibo.audio

Just now, Bengineer said:

If you get a chance, try a ZMF. Polar opposite. All models build to the same standard, very high quality.

I’ll keep an eye out but for the moment the budget is blown and the Grados are making me happy 

cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a final update.

I have kind of spun 180 on myself.

I went to minidisc again yesterday, but this time I spent the whole day there trying mostly the same repeat headphones again just to be sure.

I tried the HD660s, Beyerdynamic T1 gen2, Focal Clear, HD800S and ADX5000.

HD660s was pretty nice, but I felt its not big enough step up from my HD650 so decided against it.

I really wanted to like the Focal Clear as the "Pro" version currently is on sale at A2A for $1199, but just could not really get into them again and felt similar to last time.

Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2 was actually pretty good, had a warmish tone but at same time very bright too, surprisingly it was brighter than both the HD800S and ADX5000 for me, but less detailed too, but good value for the current $999 price I think.

However, once again it came down to the HD800S and ADX5000, which I spent the majority of time on.

Here is my new take on these after more thorough comparison, surprisingly this time, for some reason they both sounded much more similar than I remembered.

Some songs they actually sounded almost identical, but others I could hear (feel) bit more sub-bass with the ADX5000 and vocal tracks ADX5000 were ever so slightly more intimate and maybe a hint more body.

So if I was to be completely honest, I probably still preferred the ADX5000 for my music taste, however in the end the price was the deciding factor for me as both headphones were too similar to justify the price difference i.e. HD800S + balanced cable = $1900 and ADX5000 + balanced cable $2700.

Audio Technica has produced a really nice headphone, but they have priced them self out of the market as I feel its a direct competitor to the HD800S so should be similarly priced. If ADX5000 came down to $2100 including balanced cable, I probably would have went for it.

In the end I walked out of the store with a HD800S and am very happy with my decision, I have let the headphone burn in overnight and will have all day today to have a real listen with my favourite tracks.

Edited by bruc3
  • Like 4

UPDATE:
I am absolutely loving my HD800S and the pairing with CMA12 is truly wonderful, enjoying it so much that I have already gifted my HD6xx (will miss it though) to my brother as I know that wont get used much anymore.

Just about 2 hours ago Matt @Odyssey drove to my house personally to drop off his La Figaro 339 (he had 2 of them), he even threw in some aftermarket tubes and we had a good chat and later followed up with a call make sure I was happy. What a top bloke!!

I have only listened to the LF339 for a short while but like what I am hearing so far, and no audible noise at my usual listening volumes. I will have to spend more time with it before I can give a proper impression.

@Bengineer looks like I got an OTL tube amp sooner than expected, no more Crack for me.

I took out my old faithful Fuji X100S to take a few snaps (apologies, bit rusty and photos came out kind of bad):

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

Edited by bruc3
  • Like 2

On 17/11/2020 at 1:05 PM, Bengineer said:

TH900 MK2 Sapphie

Audeze LCD-X

Maybe just another headphone and I second the LCD-X. I just think it's very good, especially given the price. However headphones are very personal. You'll get different opinions. It's good there are so many to choose from. ?

23 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Maybe just another headphone and I second the LCD-X. I just think it's very good, especially given the price. However headphones are very personal. You'll get different opinions. It's good there are so many to choose from. ?

Ah I never gave the LCD-X a go when I went to Minidisc, probably should have given it a listen, but the weight of the headphones tells me I probably wont like using it as comfort for me is top priority, even more so than the sound.

As promised, some impressions/mini review from my amateur opinion/ears. With only a few hours of intense listening switching back and forth between amps and songs.

Currently still listening to the LF339 while I am writing this.

Special shout out to @Odyssey for personally driving to my house to drop this baby off for me and throwing in some nice tubes. Hes definitely a top bloke.

Pinging in these boys again, sorry @Bengineer and @peppy

Disclaimer

- I do not have the best hearing i.e. have a fair bit of hearing loss on my left ear and loss of hearing in the upper most frequencies.

- I am an amateur and not good at describing sounds or technical terms.

- I have very little experience with tube amps, only previously owned a Woo WA2 for an extremely short time < 1 week and a hybrid amp Cavalli tube + sdac.

- Considering this, please take my impressions with a grain of salt. 

I will be making comparisons to my CMA12 amp. 

Will be using the built-in CMA12 dac throughout the comparison, and running as variable preamp into the LF339. Both (left/right) volumes on LF339 will be set at 12pm and will adjust the volume from the CMA12.

(note: on the LF339 volume controls, after 12pm there is some noise which incrementally increases as the volume knob increases) 

Will be using the SE 1/4 jack for both amps, so not using the balanced connection from CMA12.

BUILD / AESTHETICS

First off, the LF339 is built like a tank and feels like it would last a life time, pretty heavy and feels bullet proof. It is extremely attractive looking unit, and I could literally sit and stare at it all day, especially in low lighting with the tube glow.

The CMA12 is equally well built, and some people might think it looks a bit tacky but I feel its an extremely attractive looking unit and being a smallish size AIO amp/dac it is a perfect for a desktop setup.

The CMA12 runs pretty hot as its a pure class A amp but can still keep my hand on it, but the LF339 definitely runs hotter and I can barely touch it when its operating.

SOUND

These are my hearing impressions after comparing directly both amps, and most of it if I had to be honest was quite subtle.

As expected, on the get go LF339 soundstage is deeper and bit wider compared to the CMA12, I could sense a bit more depth in music and both the vocals and instruments are pushed back a bit, some particular tracks I could feel a more sense of layering in the music, whereas CMA12 sometimes in comparison may feel like sounds are in a line and not front and back, hopefully you get what I mean. 

I will say that the CMA12 feels a little more closed in, not claustrophobic as I still think the CMA12 is a pretty spacious sounding amp but in direct comparison to the LF339 it feels bit more closed in.

Imaging seems to be to be about the same for both, but the layering and soundstage of the LF339 can make it more enjoyable for classical, particularly some tracks I listened to by Vivaldi. 

I would say the CMA12 is more detailed, and details in music definitely stand out more. Actually for the CMA12 the whole presentation of the music is more in your face, so all instruments and vocals are pushed forward, which makes vocals more intimate and can be enjoyable in its own way, especially when coming from a mid forward headphone like my old HD6xx. Vocals on the CMA12 however can be a bit shouty at times and not quite as smooth as the LF339, and when comparing directly it feels that the LF339 may have a slightly more natural tone which is nice. 

For one of my favourite artist, Fish Leong her voice I would say sounds slightly more natural/real on the LF339, although the CMA12 definitely is more intimate sounding.

CMA12 seems to have slightly harder hitting bass, and I probably can feel the sub bass slightly more too. LF339 bass surprisingly feels a bit soft in comparison, but only really noticeable when I switch back and forth between amps.

The CMA12 seems to have more clarity, once again when switching from the LF339 to the CMA12 everything sounds slightly more clear. But that way the LF339 kind of reminds me a little of the HD6xx as it also sounds smoother pretty much for every song and slightly less sibilant too.

In summary, I feel the CMA12 sounds bit more powerful and in your face and is more analytical, while the LF339 is softer/smoother sounding and more natural with better layering. 

For short listening sessions and if I want my attention to be grabbed I think CMA12 is nice, but for all day long sessions the LF339 takes the cake I think, and reminds me a bit of the HD6xx in regards to how it presents music bit more naturally and smooth sounding.

I honestly am not quite sure which amp I like more, they are both great in their own way and for now want to keep both (as I feel its versatile and nice to have a solid state and tube amp and can listen to either according to my mood) but for now will be listening more to the LF339 as its my shiny new toy.

Hope you enjoyed reading it, was a bit long haha..thanks for reading. Off to bed for me, and I look forward to more further music enjoyment tomorrow.

• Like 1

Good write up @bruc3 In essence you capture the differences between a capable solid state and tube amp. There will be times you would prefer one over the other.  We are humans and have mood swings or changes.  So having both is good. 

If you find LCD-X too heavy for you, then a good alternative is the Arya.  Very different sound signatures. You have to find out which you prefer. Sometimes a quick listen at the shop won't tell you everything. You might have to live with it for a while. That said, I also like the Utopia a lot. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

If you find LCD-X too heavy for you, then a good alternative is the Arya.  Very different sound signatures. You have to find out which you prefer. Sometimes a quick listen at the shop won't tell you everything. You might have to live with it for a while. That said, I also like the Utopia a lot. 

In future if I decide to add another headphone to my collection, it will likely be either a planar like the Arya (maybe after I grow more confident about their QC) or I am also very intrigued by the ZMF headphones, specifically I think I may like the "Aeolus".

But currently, HD800S is my end game for me and I will run the LF339 as is for a while before I consider tube rolling. If TS5998 tubes come up on classifieds though (they probably wont) I will try to grab them.

Thanks all.

1 more photo :)

Photo 2-12-20, 7 47 52 am.jpg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, peppy said:

So @bruc3 you went ahead with HD800s ? 
I thought u purchased Audio Technica ADX5000

Yeah I ended up getting the HD800S.

The ADX5000 was not going to be in stock until end of December, and I had not put in a deposit for it yet.

I went into Minidisc again and stayed a whole day comparing the HD800S and ADX5000 more thoroughly this time, and realised in regards to sound they were not that much apart.

In the end I decided on getting the HD800S instead because:

- Better price

- Better package, came with balanced cable

- Better build quality I feel

- More well known German brand

- HD800S was in stock for pickup immediately :)

Honestly, there is a part of me that still wonders if I made the right decision not getting the ADX5000, but I honestly think that is a disease in this hobby, keep trying to chase something better which ultimately never ends and burning a hole in your pocket that just gets deeper and deeper. I bet you if I got the ADX5000, I would start to wonder how much better the Final D8000 is, and next thing you know I am selling my house to get the Sennheiser HE-1 haha..

Despite what I said, I probably wont be burning money on headphones anymore for now but will likely be burning it on Tubes instead which is also a disease I guess :(

Edited by bruc3
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

@bruc3 

Just get the best tubes to begin with mate, then your not left with tubes sitting around collecting dust and invest in the right ones to begin with. That's what I ended up doing and am super happy with the results now.

What are these end game tubes you are speaking of?

No worries, it seems for my amp, most people seem to speak highly of the Tung Sol 5998 which is hard to find now, unless I am willing to pay $899USD for a pair from WooAudio of course.

Ah @Tarzan you have the WA22 like me. I'm using Ken Rad 6sn7gt black glass, Tung Sol 5998 and Cossor 53ku rectifier now. My pair of 5998 was NOS when I bought it. It's probably done 200 hours now which is still considered lightly used. ? Got this matched pair brand new. Pins are shining. ?

IMG_1499.jpg

• Like 2