Phono pre with 2 inputs.

Suggestions for a SS 2 input phono please.

Bonus for adjustability.

(Currently running Denon hoMC carts).

Currently running an old Sansui amp with two phono inputs but looking to change to an amp with none so I need a Phono with 2 inputs.

Did used to have a Pro-Ject Tubebox DS2  that had 2 inputs but I'd rather not delve into tubes again.

The SS Pro-Ject Phonobox DS2 only has 1 input !! (What the ?...).

No; I don't want to keep the whole Sansui just to use the phono circuit/s.

Yes, there is a switching box but it adds *another* 'box'. (And pretty sure it's an overpriced US import).

15 minutes ago, eman said:

Suggestions for a SS 2 input phono please.

Bonus for adjustability.

(Currently running Denon hoMC carts).

I can build a 2-input version of my ss MM Muse for you.  In terms of 'adjustability ', I would make it with a default input load of 100K (to suit, for example, certain old Japanese MM carts) and have extra input RCAs:

1. to allow the resistance load to be reduced, and
  2. to allow the capacitance load to be increased

... using 'loaded' RCA plugs.

16 minutes ago, eman said:

Yes, there is a switching box but it adds *another* 'box'. (And pretty sure it's an overpriced US import).

Or I can make you a 2 or 3-way RCA switch box  :)

Please PM me if you are interested in either of the above.

Andy

• Like 2
1 hour ago, eman said:

I have picked up RCA switch boxes secondhand quite cheap.    Tandy used to sell some VERY capable ones that handled switching over 3 inputs to tape recorders and monitoring.  Opened them up and they are well made a shielded.  I have used one to switch MM phono inputs and could detect no big problems.

I’m running a Perreaux VP3 phono. Plenty of dip switch adjustability for gain/loading and inputs for simultaneous mm and mc. 

I have the project phono box rs, which has a balanced and a single ended input which can be switched (On the back, but easily done so long as the back is accessible). You would have to get a balanced cable made if you don’t have one, though that is easily enough done. There is heaps of adjustability, and it is a good sounding amp. It is about $1200 I think, and you may have to track one down, as I think the distributor has stopped bringing them in. 

Justin

• Thanks 1

If the budget stretches, get a Cyrus Signature, it has 4 inputs, all individually adjustable with memory. It can also be adjusted on the fly from your listening position via remote.

On 22/10/2020 at 10:39 PM, captain.j said:

I’m running a Perreaux VP3 phono. Plenty of dip switch adjustability for gain/loading and inputs for simultaneous mm and mc. 

1 hour ago, Gryffles said:

Gold Note PH10

8 minutes ago, t_mike said:

If the budget stretches, get a Cyrus Signature, it has 4 inputs, all individually adjustable with memory. It can also be adjusted on the fly from your listening position via remote.

Thanks guys. 

Some mighty fine gear suggested, but cost more than I was wanting to spend.

That will teach me to actually be more specific about the budget.

Spent about $700 before getting a Project Tubebox DS from the classifieds here. (Gone in the fires with everything else now though).

47 minutes ago, Bill125812 said:

+1 for @andyr    He has made me some stuff before. Workmanship is second to none.    Highly recommended 

Thanks Bill.  Am in discussion with Andy. Although half of the details go over my head about the exact details in a phono, he can obviously make me a phono or a simple switchbox.

2 minutes ago, eman said:

or a simple switchbox.

This talk has prompted me to consider adding a second set of RCAs and switching to the phono input of my own DIY integrated preamp.  Better than an external switch, as it eliminates one interconnect cable.

So thanks...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Here it is.....

thanks, but $7k's. Shoot !!

I've been looking for 2 input phono also don't think I've seen one in retail form for under $1000 other than project phono box ds2 usb with a bonus of digital output if you need one. But it is not available to purchase here. I've been thinking to purchase it from https://www.analogueseduction.net/phono-stages-phono-boards/pro-ject-phono-box-ds2-usb.html which landed should be around $750 quite close to your budget.

2 hours ago, mloutfie said:

I've been looking for 2 input phono also don't think I've seen one in retail form for under $1000 other than project phono box ds2 usb with a bonus of digital output if you need one. But it is not available to purchase here. I've been thinking to purchase it from https://www.analogueseduction.net/phono-stages-phono-boards/pro-ject-phono-box-ds2-usb.html which landed should be around $750 quite close to your budget.

Thanks. Looks interesting.

I was looking at the Pro-Ject Phono Box DS (*no USB*) and then needing a switch box. Would rather do it all in one.

So the USB version DS has 2 inputs and non USB has only one but for some reason we can't get the 2 input version here. Bloody.....argh !!

I bought a MF Phono from Analogue Seduction a few years ago and they were good to deal with.