5.1 vs 2.1 for the same $? ($3-$4k)

I started a thread here but then realised it's probably not in the right forum, and this question deserves it's own thread I think. I did search, but found a limited amount.

Am I better off spending $3k on 2 very good front speakers (perhaps second hand), or $3k on 5 less-good speakers? I have a Denon AVR-750H 7.1ch amp. Usage is for my primary HiFi in a medium sized room, for home theatre and music (say 50/50 split).

I have just purchased an SVS SB-2000 from a forum member for $1100 (shipped), so I've got bass covered. I've got about $3k left in my budget.

Some options I'm considering:

• A new set of 5x speakers from Adelaide Speakers (2 floor standing, 2 bookshelf, 1 centre)
  • This set of 2x KEF R300, 2x KEF Q300 and 1x DALI C1000 centre at $1970
  • This pair (or another) of 2x KEF R3 at $2500
  • 2x VAF Research Signature i91 MKII or 2x DC-7 MKIII
  • Others?

The fewer wires and simpler setup of 2.1 does appeal to me, and my gut tells me I'll get a better audio experience out of spending more on 2 really good bookshelf speakers to pair with my sub for a good 2.1 system than trying to spread to 5.1.

I'd be aiming for 2 better speakers over what would likely amount to a fairly anemic 5.1 system. You'll have the option of building it out from there should you choose along with the benefit of better sound right now. $3k can get you a pretty nice pair of main speakers. $3k will get you something less than fantastic as a 5.1 setup.

If you are into 2 CH music, then getting 2 main speakers is the preferred option. However, if you like multi channel music, then go matching 5 speakers.

If serious about 2CH music, suggest getting a stereo integrated; AVRs are not designed for music.

• Like 4

I would only have 2.0  or maybe 2.1 in my music system.

However, my journey in home theatre went as far as Dolby digital 5.1 before I decided that was too messy for what it gave me.  I swapped all that out for a high end soundbar with wireless subwoofer.  That gives me 5.1.2 as it includes Dolby Atmos, but the ceiling and side speakers are done reflectively.  However, it sounds just as good as the previous 5.1 system, maybe better, so I am happy.  I could even buy wireless add-on rear speakers for 7.1.2 but don't feel I need it.

10 hours ago, Ritero said:

I have a Paradigm CC-170 that I could hang on to for a centre speaker, though I feel it would be outclassed by a pair of KEF R3s.

No no, please get matching tweeters for the front three...

You can see my setup in my signature. But do sort out what you want, HT first or stereo. 

(https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html)

A more complicated idea is to have a soundbar for HT - mind you the good ones aren't that bad. Try the HK Enchant 1300 for example
(http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/harmon-kardon-enchant-1300-review.html

And then a proper stereo system for your critical music listening...

2 minutes ago, petetherock said:

A more complicated idea is to have a soundbar for HT - mind you the good ones aren't that bad. Try the HK Enchant 1300 for example

Mine is  this one  https://www.lg.com/au/sound-bars/lg-SL10YG.    I am very pleased with the sound.  I wouldn't be happy with a lot of the smaller ones.

Google assistant in the soundbar turns out to be a big plus as well.

Interesting thoughts. So thinking a better option might be get a sound bar ($1600ish), sell my 7.2ch AVR ($700 perhaps) and buy a good 2.1ch amp and speakers with the left over $2100?

Would a set of KEF R3s with an SVS sub not sound better than a sound bar for HT?

Forget about fixed budget. Bookshelf speakers $3000 + stereo amp $3000 + source + SVS. 

You don't need amp with active speakers. 

If I wanted Kef and didn't have enough money for amplifier I would go with LS50W + SVS.

I'm not interested in dropping $10k on a system. I like good audio, but it's not my life, I have many other interests on which to spend my money.

$3k is my remaining budget, I have a 7.2ch Denon AVR-750H - a $1300 amp (rrp), and I've got an SVS SB2000 on the way. I might stretch a bit further if it really warranted it, but more than doubling it is not on the cards. I could sell the amp and replace it if I felt it was worthwhile. My usage is 50/50 HT and music and my gut tells me I'll get the best value combining the two systems rather than trying to spread cash around to multiple systems. Perhaps not perfect for either, but good enough for both.

I mention KEF R3 because they appear universally well liked and fit nicely in my remaining budget for a good second hand pair, and seem like they'd match well with the SVS sub, but I'm not married to any brand. I could do bookshelf or floor standing, but bookshelf seem a bit better value.

Edited by Ritero

2 hours ago, Ritero said:

Would a set of KEF R3s with an SVS sub not sound better than a sound bar for HT?

Depends on what you want. A sound bar can do pseudo surround sound but the KEFs will provide better SQ.

15 minutes ago, Ritero said:

My usage is 50/50 HT and music and my gut tells me I'll get the best value combining the two systems rather than trying to spread cash around to multiple systems. Perhaps not perfect for either, but good enough for both.

For convenience and ease of use and setup, stay with the Denon. As long as you are happy with the music production, that is all that matters.

Thanks mate, my gut tells me a set of KEF R3 (or similar type good quality 3-way bookshelves) would be the right way to go. I'm mostly listening via spotify streaming rather than using lossless audio.

I think they'll be good enough to fill my room, high quality within budget, and provide potential for an upgrade path - either by picking up a centre like a KEF R2C down the track and some rears (LS50s?) or by moving them to rears and picking up some floorstanding fronts later.

1 hour ago, Ritero said:

I'm not interested in dropping $10k on a system. I like good audio, but it's not my life, I have many other interests on which to spend my money.

$3k is my remaining budget...

Ha good one! :yes:

It is good that you know yourself especially as there are many here (perhaps including myself) where audio fidelity is by far their biggest hobby and can give advice on the presumption that the person asking is similar in this regard.

• Like 2

my view is slightly different - given you have the AVR and sub $3,000 is plenty to put together a reasonable set of 5 speakers that will allow you to play music on 2.1 or 5.1 AND cover the surround side of HT.  Sound bars can be good but a proper 5.1 system is better IMO.

I have 5.1.2 - not including the atmos/sub my (5) speakers were under $3,000 (new).  Could I spend more, sure, but I have other hobbies/priorities too and I'm more than happy with them.

Given you are in Adelaide it may pay to speak with Edward at Adelaide speakers he is easy to deal with, that said he's not your only option.

Edited by hometheatrebugbitten

53 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Ha good one! :yes:

It is good that you know yourself especially as there are many here (perhaps including myself) where audio fidelity is by far their biggest hobby and can give advice on the presumption that the person asking is similar in this regard.

I can understand the hobby for sure! Audio is one of those intoxicating blends of the art and the technical. The same reason some people are into cars or photography - both of which I am also into - and which also cost thousands of dollars, hence the need to limit my spending  ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ritero said:

I can understand the hobby for sure! Audio is one of those intoxicating blends of the art and the technical. The same reason some people are into cars or photography - both of which I am also into - and which also cost thousands of dollars, hence the need to limit my spending  ?

I lived with just a really good pair of speakers (and a pair of subs also) for a long time. Movies sounded pretty crash-hot and so did music. Then I found an "almost match" centre, and 4 months later I found a matching centre. It's different, and the voices are a little more anchored to the screen. But I'm not sure how much better it is. But it's not worse!

And surrounds, I just got some nice, cheap JBL Control 40's (42's?) to run as the 4 rear effects speakers. They blend in and don't detract from the front three at all.

I'd suggest the KEF R3's (if you like them, then they'd be excellent). If a matching centre comes up and you've saved a bit, then get that as well. And for your surrounds, you could always use 4 of the smaller KEFs that are often available...if you really think you need them.

47 minutes ago, hometheatrebugbitten said:

my view is slightly different - given you have the AVR and sub $3,000 is plenty to put together a reasonable set of 5 speakers that will allow you to play music on 2.1 or 5.1 AND cover the surround side of HT.  Sound bars can be good but a proper 5.1 system is better IMO.

I have 5.1.2 - not including the atmos/sub my (5) speakers were under $3,000 (new).  Could I spend more, sure, but I have other hobbies/priorities too and I'm more than happy with them.

Given you are in Adelaide it may pay to speak with Edward at Adelaide speakers he is easy to deal with, that said he's not your only option.

I do like the different perspectives. I have been to see Edward. Part of the reason I've started to drift towards a 2.1 system was that while I liked his speakers, and they are certainly good value, they didn't 'move' me. So I'm looking a little higher end now.

30 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

I lived with just a really good pair of speakers (and a pair of subs also) for a long time. Movies sounded pretty crash-hot and so did music. Then I found an "almost match" centre, and 4 months later I found a matching centre. It's different, and the voices are a little more anchored to the screen. But I'm not sure how much better it is. But it's not worse!

And surrounds, I just got some nice, cheap JBL Control 40's (42's?) to run as the 4 rear effects speakers. They blend in and don't detract from the front three at all.

I'd suggest the KEF R3's (if you like them, then they'd be excellent). If a matching centre comes up and you've saved a bit, then get that as well. And for your surrounds, you could always use 4 of the smaller KEFs that are often available...if you really think you need them.

That's what I'm thinking. Perhaps start with a good 2.1 and build a good 5.1 from there over time, rather than settle for a less than optimal 5.1. 

53 minutes ago, hometheatrebugbitten said:

Sound bars can be good but a proper 5.1 system is better IMO.

That's what I always thought as well.  However, you have to factor in the cost and inconvenience of positioning those 5.1 speakers. 

I have more recently found, in the few living room situations where I have attempted a 5.1 setup, the result is inferior to what I now have via a good soundbar, and that's without atmos - and overheads are quite hard to do in my livingroom.

1 hour ago, Ritero said:

That's what I'm thinking. Perhaps start with a good 2.1 and build a good 5.1 from there over time, rather than settle for a less than optimal 5.1

I think that sounds like a good plan. Who knows, you might find that turns out to be just what you want. Whatever, it gives you a firm foundation from which to expand later on, if the fancy takes you.

7 minutes ago, The Rock Puppy said:

I think that sounds like a good plan. Who knows, you might find that turns out to be just what you want. Whatever, it gives you a firm foundation from which to expand later on, if the fancy takes you.

Yeah that's the thinking.

I found a bloke on this forum who had an SVS SB2000 paired with KEF LS50s. He loved the setup for movies and music, more so than a B&W 5.1 setup. I'm feeling more confident with this idea. 

I agree with Snoopy. Keep what you’ve got (AVR and sub), and spend your entire budget on two speakers. Sit back, enjoy. If you get an itch down the road, that can be scratched later.  But at that time you’ll be confident that you’ve got good speakers and sub, and can go from there.

From there could be a centre channel or surrounds if that’s what you want. Or a 2-channel amp and dac if you go more towards music. Or an integrated amp with home theatre bypass and a centre channel. But that’s future Ritero’s problem haha.

cheers,

andrew

Edited by Ruffter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1