Tidal Connect on Raspberry Pi OS

I just added a comment on the Tidal Pricing thread, but I think this is pretty big news for Tidal users and deserves its own thread. https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/tidal-connect-launches-on-bluos and https://darko.audio/2020/10/tidal-connect-who-what-why/

Essentially, it appears that Tidal have finally launched their own version of Spotify Connect, an app that any device manufacturer can add that enables you to stream Tidal to a device (e.g. streamer, AVR, TV, whatever) and use the Tidal app on your phone as the controller. This was a big gap previously, with very few devices able to stream Tidal natively (or properly). BluOS was one of the rare exceptions, but even on BluOS (e.g. Bluesound Node 2/2i, NAD DACS, etc.) you had to use the Bluesound app as the controller, now you can use the Tidal app on your phone. 

I use a Raspberry Pi-based streamer (Allo Digione Signature). I'm sure the OS makers for the Pi will add the capability to install the Tidal Connect app in short order. If anyone hears of this happening, please let me (and everyone reading here) know!

• Like 1

This is so fantastic. I considered jumping ship as the BluOS app didn't allow multiple Tidal profiles. Now any mobile user can cast their tracks from their own phone/profile. And it doesn't seem to have a quality limitation!

@Topman_Chief - Can you please change the topic of this thread to "Tidal Connect Supported Devices"

I have been looking out to upgrade my streamer as well and did not want to pay for Roon or settle of spotty 3rd party apps that streamers come with. Tidal Connect has been on my wish list for a long time. The following companies will be supporting Tidal Connect.

1) BluOS devices from NAD and Dali

2) KEF LS50 Meta Wireless II

3) Monitor Audio IMS 4 (Running BluOS)

4) Naim Streamers and Uniti Series - This is due in 2021 via a firmware update,

I wrote to Lumin and they confirmed that they have started to work on Tidal Connect but the timeline is not known yet. 

I have written to Mytek and Aurender but there has not been any response yet.

38 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

@Topman_Chief - Can you please change the topic of this thread to "Tidal Connect Supported Devices"

I have been looking out to upgrade my streamer as well and did not want to pay for Roon or settle of spotty 3rd party apps that streamers come with. Tidal Connect has been on my wish list for a long time. The following companies will be supporting Tidal Connect.

1) BluOS devices from NAD and Dali

2) KEF LS50 Meta Wireless II

3) Monitor Audio IMS 4 (Running BluOS)

4) Naim Streamers and Uniti Series - This is due in 2021 via a firmware update,

I wrote to Lumin and they confirmed that they have started to work on Tidal Connect but the timeline is not known yet. 

I have written to Mytek and Aurender but there has not been any response yet.

I assume the thinking here is to try to uncover what software gets released for the Raspberry Pi in particular,

As we now will be able to use the phone app as the remote there is more reason than ever to save the money on the bigger brand hardware streamers.

I have been trawling to see if I can find any Raspberry PI OS updates that are compatible, no luck yet.

@Topman_Chief How is your Allo? I was thinking this would be the best budget way to go without the drama of building anything.

Didi you get the Pi 3 or 4?

Edited by OldMatePete

6 hours ago, BrownMagic said:

Ok my bad. I didn't realise this thread was intended for Raspberry Pi users. 

All good, 

I think its a great idea that you started another thread for all the supported hardware, we need a place where people can check all the updates.

• Like 3

On 21/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, Topman_Chief said:

I use a Raspberry Pi-based streamer (Allo Digione Signature). I'm sure the OS makers for the Pi will add the capability to install the Tidal Connect app in short order. If anyone hears of this happening, please let me (and everyone reading here) know!

I think its up to the O/S makers (like you said) to licence it out.  I know Volumio 2 has native tidal integration, but its clunky at best.  They have enabled for the Spotify connect plugin to be installed, so id imagine in time the same would apply for the Tidal connect plugin.

18 hours ago, OldMatePete said:

@Topman_Chief How is your Allo? I was thinking this would be the best budget way to go without the drama of building anything.

Didi you get the Pi 3 or 4?

Hi Pete,

I like the Allo. I bought it secondhand here on SNA, it's a 3b. I was coming from an old Dell desktop with an Uptone Regen + LPS, and the Allo did seem to be a step up in terms of being more organic. Apart from an issue recently with an SD card dying (probably my fault, just pulling the plug instead of powering down properly), it has been rock solid. My only gripe is paying for My Volumio to use Tidal, along with a pretty crappy interface. Hence this thread. I'm pretty confident the audio OS makers for RPi will get there, it might just take them a little longer. As you said, it will make the RPi streamers an even more attractive buy over the bigger brand streamers.

• Like 1

First.... The protocol will need to be backwards engineered by the open source crowd. 

Same as what happened with Spotify connect and Librespot. 

This will take some time, IMO.  

I don't expect it to be quickly adopted by Ropieee, as this would impact Roon take up and membership.  

IMO, Roon is used by many, for its "Tidal Connect "capability.

Edited by musicbee

1 hour ago, musicbee said:

First.... The protocol will need to be backwards engineered by the open source crowd first. 

Same as what happened with Spotify connect and Librespot. 

This will take some time, IMO.  

I don't expect it to be quickly adopted by Ropieee, as this would impact Roon take up and membership.  

IMO, Roon is used by many, for its "Tidal Connect "capability.

Yes, similarly with Volumio, they won't rush into it as they know they will lose many My Volumio subscribers (like me) who only pay up for the Tidal integration. On the positive side though, there are plenty of music OS's out there for RPi, so at least one of them should be motivated to work on this. 

• Like 1

Looks like Volumio are already trying to make this happen. It isn't clear how much effort this is, or how high on the priority list, but actively asking Tidal for approval is a very positive sign. 

https://community.volumio.org/t/adding-tidal-connect/42022

Two days ago:

"We are waiting for an answer from TIDAL for our request to integrate TIDAL Connect :wink:
Now we shall be patient, as everyone is struggling to cope with this pandemic and remote work might increase response times :wink:
We will keep you posted"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just now, BrownMagic said:

The best user experience. There is no software today including Roon that can come close to the experience that the native app gives. 

I do not think the Tidal app is very good anyway unfortunately.  I actually prefer using Tidal through mconnect :) 

5 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I have been quite happy with using mconnectLite to stream tidal to moOde's upnp renderer.    Seems to integrate nicely, and the user interface works well for finding tidal stuff.  What extras would Tidal connect provide I wonder.

Hi Mate 

Was just doing some googling, let me know if I am off the mark.

Tidal Sub > $6 mconnect app on your phone > Moode OS (free by the looks) on your Raspberry Pi > Amp > Boogie Wonderland?

Seems like a pretty good option if its that simple/cheap.

10 minutes ago, OldMatePete said:

Hi Mate 

Was just doing some googling, let me know if I am off the mark.

Tidal Sub > $6 mconnect app on your phone > Moode OS (free by the looks) on your Raspberry Pi > Amp > Boogie Wonderland?

Seems like a pretty good option if its that simple/cheap.

You don't even need the $6 app -  mconnectLite is free.     Yes, moOde is free (donation only if you want).

You can use the headphone out, or the hdmi output already built in to the Pi, but most people get an external usb DAC or a DAC "hat" for the Pi.  Depends how critical you are of the sound quality.  I find even the Topping D10 is excellent.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

You don't even need the $6 app -  mconnectLite is free.     Yes, moOde is free (donation only if you want).

You can use the headphone out, or the hdmi output already built in to the Pi, but most people get an external usb DAC or a DAC "hat" for the Pi.  Depends how critical you are of the sound quality.  I find even the Topping D10 is excellent.

Awesome Ill have to give this a shot!

Im yet to buy a Pi, I heard the USB out of the the 4 is much improved and that can run into the USB on my PS Audio Sprout.

Thanks for the tips mate, sorry I didn't see your tread on this earlier 

1 hour ago, OldMatePete said:

Im yet to buy a Pi, I heard the USB out of the the 4 is much improved

To be honest, I have never had any problems with the model 3B either.  I have two 3Bs and one 4.   My main moOde machine is a 3B.  I use the 4 for my mucking around with DSP stuff for phono eq etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Estimate is Q2, 2021.

Update on the Volumio forum three days ago:

Good news, the first step is done.
We’ve had a call with TIDAL technical team (very pleasant meeting, BTW) and we’ve been approved to have TIDAL Connect SDK.
We’re now in the process of implementing it, but it won’t be quick. The implementation is quite complex and there is a certification process involved, so my best estimate would be Q2 2021
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another update from Volumio. Looks like Q2 might actually be accurate. Still no word on if it will be available with the free version of Volumio, or one of their paid tiers.

Good news. The TIDAL Connect integration in Volumio is completed and it works beautifully.

Before releasing it, we are required to have it certified by TIDAL. So, next Monday we will send a unit to TIDAL to have it certified.

We hope this last step goes quick so we can release it soon and enjoy it :wink:

• Like 1