Setting speaker distance on AVR for 2 channel stereo necessary?

Hi all. 

after a long hiatus from HIFI stuff I have dived back in with a pair of Dali Oberon 1s and a Yamaha avr to run them. I only use 2 channel stereo. No other speakers. 

Do I need to set the distance for this setup? The default is 3 meters and the distance to me is 2.5m. I’m asking because when you buy an integrated amp you don’t set the distance, so is it really needed on the avr?

thanks all. 

If your not going to use the digital sound correction the easy answer is no. But I think you will have to go to the settings menu because you will find it probably has a low / high pass default for a sub of 100 hz too and turn the sound correction off. Did you get a microphone with it ? Yamaha's sound correction YPAQ I think is meant to pretty good 

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Suggest replacing the AVR with a stereo integrated (from Classifieds).  AVRs are not designed for music 

I think that's taking it a bit too far and overly presumptuous on what the intention is of each and every AVR designer.

I think if you refer to the websites of brands like NAD, Arcam, Anthem and others they'll advertise that music is very much a consideration of their AVR line.

So, there's plenty of music in movie soundtracks and they handle that each and every day.

Is it your assertion they are not designed to replicate the music in movie soundtracks or more likely just not two channel stereo music?
If the latter, then I can't see how that works.

An AVR is just simply a processor and multi channel amplifier in the same chassis and when used within their limits are designed to amplify\replicate electronic signals and will have no problem doing that when used within their limits.

Edited by Satanica

I haven’t run ypao as it’s only a 2 channel set up I didn’t think it necessary. Does distance setting simply lower/increase the overall volume of the speaker to “match distance?”

I can’t afford to buy another amp just now having only bought this recently with the speakers. So I’m stuck with this for a while. 

but since the avr vs stereo amp has been raised, this avr I got (rx-v385) is rated 70 W per Channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09% THD, 2-ch driven)

and the A-s301 integrated amp is rated at 60W (8 ohms, 20hz-20kHz, 0.019%THD, 2 channel driven) 

with extremely similar numbers like that how can the stereo amp perform significantly better than the avr?

thanks