I am now ready to put a hi fi system together.After speaking to different people and learning about different equipment I am interested to know whether an external dac is important.I will probably spend about $10000 on speakers and amp.I will definitely be streaming a fair bit.I appreciate all replies

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule on this. My CD player has an excellent internal DAC and produces sound quality comparable to my Benchmark DAC3 (which is very highly regarded). 

Similarly, some amps now have their own internal DAC mechanisms that are quite good. Again, many streamers have excellent DACs onboard, negating the need to look outside the box.

It ultimately gets down to the sound quality you enjoy most, the overall features you want, and the ergonomics you prefer, etc.

And, of course, don't forget the 'S' word (synergy).

Edited by gemini07
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Ian Lyons said:

I am now ready to put a hi fi system together.After speaking to different people and learning about different equipment I am interested to know whether an external dac is important.I will probably spend about $10000 on speakers and amp.I will definitely be streaming a fair bit.I appreciate all replies

Get most on your speaker first, then amp and pre.  Get node2i for now, it’s good enough. You can always upgrade later.  External dac is important but not as important as your speaker.