Scott's Old New Room (or, I'm BACK BABY!)

Hey all,

It's been a little while.

Let me tell you a story. 

3 years ago I built a beautiful new home with a dedicated theatre and kitted it out with PSA speakers, Elektra Amps, Marantz processor, JVC projectror, lens, motor and 165" scope screen.

Then 6 months later my wife and I separated, I "moved out", and we went through a pretty ugly divorce and the settlement process lasted 2 years+.

In the process I had to sell off most of my gear to stay afloat while I rebuilt my business essentially from the ground up. It tore me apart to have to sell my lens, slide, projector, amps and processor. Thankfully I managed to keep the speakers in storage and have been using two of them plus the sub for a couple months now in 2-ch setup.

Anyway, after a long drawn-out process, I am about to move back into my home, albeit in somewhat more debt, but able to move on and, obviously importantly, get back into my home theatre passion.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a 2nd hand Aussiemorphik MK4 lens last week from a member here, purchased two new 3 seater home theatre lounges, and I am about to pull the trigger on:

Marantz 8805 processor

2 x Elektra Theatre HD2 7ch power amps

JVC N7 Projector

Slidamorphic motorised lens slide

Then I'll begin the process of rebuilding my room. I have attached two pics of what my room looked like not long before I had to dismantle it! The walls and roof had some acoustic tiles placed on them.

Anyway, the plan for the future is first to get the gear installed and start using it, however I also want to somewhat remodel the room - including:

- building custom panels to cover all the walls to contain the acoustic tiles behind fabric

- route power to the riser area so that I can power my two rows of seats (they have built in LED strip lights and motorised seats)

- add in some natural timber finishes.

My goal is to achieve something similar to this awesome KRIX demo room pic that I have also attached!

I will keep you all posted in how the process goes, but just wanted to say hi, and say how wonderfully exciting is to finally be back in the game!

IMG_7419.jpeg

IMG_8765.jpeg

IMG_6543.jpeg

• Like 7

@scottrichardson Welcome back Scott, I remember talking to you about the Elektra amp you were selling at the time.

Glad you got things sorted, can't believe it has been a couple of years. I only just ordered an Elektra amp last week.

Hope the refurb of your room goes well.

• 1 month later...

On 09/12/2020 at 10:24 PM, OzJustin said:

Welcome back Scott and good luck with the new build. I remember seeing photos of your first build. 14 channels of Elektra power should be nice. :) 

Thanks buddy. Super excited. I’ve almost got my lens set up optimally, and my theatre chairs arrive this Thursday. I’m told Authur from Elektra is shipping my Amps tomorrow or Wednesday which should arrive just in time for the weekend!

Edited by scottrichardson
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, scottrichardson said:

Thanks buddy. Super excited. I’ve almost got my lens set up optimally, and my theatre chairs arrive this Thursday. I’m told Authur from Elektra is shipping my Amps tomorrow or Wednesday which should arrive just in time for the weekend!

Sounds like a perfect pre-Christmas present!

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the Elektra HD2 if you get a chance. I'm considering pairing one (only one!) of them with my Anthem MRX1120 down the track for some more power/dynamics in my larger room.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Sounds like a perfect pre-Christmas present!

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the Elektra HD2 if you get a chance. I'm considering pairing one (only one!) of them with my Anthem MRX1120 down the track for some more power/dynamics in my larger room.

Well I can do that now. I had the 8802a and 11 channels of Elektra prior to moving out of my house. The Elektra amps are practically faultless. More power than I think I ever really used. I mean I played my movies between -12dB and -25dB most of the time. Reference was just too much for me, or my neighbours. 

they are build like tanks. Heavy as all hell. And the sound is crystal clear, unaltered, and untarnished - as it should be. Zero noise noticeable when turning the volume up. No hiss. No hum. I used XLR connectors from the prepro. Talk to Richard at OZTS for a good price. 

1 hour ago, scottrichardson said:

Well I can do that now. I had the 8802a and 11 channels of Elektra prior to moving out of my house. The Elektra amps are practically faultless. More power than I think I ever really used. I mean I played my movies between -12dB and -25dB most of the time. Reference was just too much for me, or my neighbours. 

they are build like tanks. Heavy as all hell. And the sound is crystal clear, unaltered, and untarnished - as it should be. Zero noise noticeable when turning the volume up. No hiss. No hum. I used XLR connectors from the prepro. Talk to Richard at OZTS for a good price. 

Thanks Scott. How did you find the HD2 for music? I've briefly used an early-gen Theatre and it was quite detailed with instruments and vocals were good, but perhaps not quite as warm as my inbuilt Anthem amp. It's tough finding a solid home theatre power amp that can double for music duties.

8 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Thanks Scott. How did you find the HD2 for music? I've briefly used an early-gen Theatre and it was quite detailed with instruments and vocals were good, but perhaps not quite as warm as my inbuilt Anthem amp. It's tough finding a solid home theatre power amp that can double for music duties.

Wonderful! It’s a class A/B amp with huge damping factor so it’s able to control the speakers with tight accuracy. Other than that all I can say is that it’s about as pure an amplifier as one could get for the money (or a lot more) - meaning it doesn’t add/affect the sound in any way. In other words, if the music is recorded crisp and detailed then it will sound that way. The only thing that potentially “coloured” my sound was the Marantz 8802a with its signature airy smooth sound for music. 

the Elektra Amps are a class of their own and provide ample grunt. But don’t stress about them being good for X or bad for Y. A good amp shouldn’t work like that. It should be an invisible element in the chain that purely allows you to have more volume, more headroom, and a lower noise floor. 

• Like 1

Great to hear your story and that you're on the way back.  I've also gone through a divorce over the last 2 years, but fortunately we didn't need anything formal for settlement.  Not a solicitor in sight!  We're both financially secure, so I've been able to move ahead on upgrading my 2 channel system as well as HT room which was previously all on the waiting list for a few years yet as she wanted a pool - divorce has its benefits!  

Like you, I'm expecting delivery on my 8805 and 2x Elektra 7 channel amps this week.  Obviously COVID has slowed things down for everyone, including Arthur.  I've gone with Osborn speakers all around, except in-ceilings which are Niles.  2x new PSA 18" subs still in the boxes, awaiting the pre-pro arrival...

Looking forward to the development of your thread.  :thumb:

• Like 2
On 15/12/2020 at 10:42 AM, Kaynin said:

Great to hear your story and that you're on the way back.  I've also gone through a divorce over the last 2 years, but fortunately we didn't need anything formal for settlement.  Not a solicitor in sight!  We're both financially secure, so I've been able to move ahead on upgrading my 2 channel system as well as HT room which was previously all on the waiting list for a few years yet as she wanted a pool - divorce has its benefits!  

Like you, I'm expecting delivery on my 8805 and 2x Elektra 7 channel amps this week.  Obviously COVID has slowed things down for everyone, including Arthur.  I've gone with Osborn speakers all around, except in-ceilings which are Niles.  2x new PSA 18" subs still in the boxes, awaiting the pre-pro arrival...

Looking forward to the development of your thread.  :thumb:

Oh man I’m so glad you were able to resolve your settlement the easy way. 

your system is going to sing like a dream! 

I have used mine for three nights now and it’s stellar. I do have a technical issue with something in my 8805 setup. I’ll post a separate topic but basically my audio is cutting out randomly, or in one instance started a reaching a high pitch tone through all speakers. Thinking maybe HDCP handshake with the projector playing up. Hard to troubleshoot at this stage. 

Which PSA subs are they? When did you get them? I’d like to get another dual 18” one. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, scottrichardson said:

Oh man I’m so glad you were able to resolve your settlement the easy way. 

your system is going to sing like a dream! 

I have used mine for three nights now and it’s stellar. I do have a technical issue with something in my 8805 setup. I’ll post a separate topic but basically my audio is cutting out randomly, or in one instance started a reaching a high pitch tone through all speakers. Thinking maybe HDCP handshake with the projector playing up. Hard to troubleshoot at this stage. 

Which PSA subs are they? When did you get them? I’d like to get another dual 18” one. 

That high pitch tone is a concern, you’d hate to blow a tweeter!

My speaker cable for the HT atmos speakers arrived last week, so finally I can install the extra channels.

I picked up 2x PSA V1800’s from Deep Hz pre-COVID.  A nice easy transaction with Peter there.  Still in boxes, still waiting for my pre-pro gear, now with Xmas it’ll likely be January...   arghhh