Tearing open a 40 year old SEALED vintage KISS record

Doesn't happen everyday, and it's always fascinating to see what's inside and how they fared.

Plus I listen to it and see how it sounds - most importantly!  :) 

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

I didn’t get any audio on the playback at the end (had audio all the way until then).

Ditto here.

• Like 1

oh sh#$ !  :(

will have to fix the boo boo .... 😅

be right back..

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I bought Double Platinum as a wee lad back in the day ... such a great record. My current copy was purchased when I lived in the USA and still has the Kiss Army certificate inside :)

Happy listening.

On sealed copies ... I still have sealed 70s and 80s pressing of various LPs ... not sure if that's a good or bad thing with warping. And my Kraftwerk 2009 LPs are still sealed (the CDs are good enough for me). 

--Geoff

• Like 1

Lol, when you said 40 years I was thinking it was KISS unmasked, that came out in 1980 😄

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hired goon said:

I bought Double Platinum as a wee lad back in the day ... such a great record. My current copy was purchased when I lived in the USA and still has the Kiss Army certificate inside :)

Happy listening.

On sealed copies ... I still have sealed 70s and 80s pressing of various LPs ... not sure if that's a good or bad thing with warping. And my Kraftwerk 2009 LPs are still sealed (the CDs are good enough for me). 

--Geoff

Worth opening Geoff on two fronts.

1. What's the point of having something with so much potential function available, to just stare at...

2. The sound might shock you as to how good it is, or, the warps may be so bad it's unplayable.

Either way, quite fun to find out for yourself?   😉

• Like 4
Just now, Demondes said:

Lol, when you said 40 years I was thinking it was KISS unmasked, that came out in 1980 😄

So 42 years, to be absolutely exact.  😆

• Thanks 1

Is the scissors technique recommended?  Haha, have used that a few times and thought shouldn't do it that way. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Demondes said:

Is the scissors technique recommended?  Haha, have used that a few times and thought shouldn't do it that way. 

I do what works... I see people use cotton gloves and won't touch a damn thing without breathing Angel's Breath on it first.

Good luck to them.

Not my style.

1 minute ago, candyflip said:

I do what works... I see people use cotton gloves and won't touch a damn thing without breathing Angel's Breath on it first.

Good luck to them.

Not my style.

Yeah I tend to grab whatever is handy at the time.  That feeling of opening a sealed record quickly wins over excessive caution everytime

• Love 1

I've always tried to use a fingernail to open a shrink-wrapped record, so there is minimal chance of damage.  Will use scissors or a utility knife to carefully start the split if the nail won't start it.  If the shrink doesn't split with the nail, will use a utility knife with only the minimal amount of blade exposed, so I don't risk damage to the inner bags/inserts/the record.

• Like 3

A guitar plectrum is close at hand in my listening space/music room/lounge room, and there is certain rightness to use it to open an LP. Opening A Kiss album is definitely a plectrum job! I definitely agree that you should open sealed records.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

A guitar plectrum is close at hand in my listening space/music room/lounge room, and there is certain rightness to use it to open an LP. Opening A Kiss album is definitely a plectrum job! I definitely agree that you should open sealed records.

A plectrum like this...

4Y6A1190_copy__96576.1591718320.1280.128

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Thanks @candyflip

Took me back to my youth...  I was a very excited boy when a new Kiss album was released.

I got KISS Alive II first (cassette), then I went back and got Destroyer, then Love Gun (both cassettes too), then I finally got Double Platinum (again, cassette). 
After that, it was vinyl - and I remember spending the $8 or whatever it cost back then for the 'Dynasty' album, and being so excited - played it to death.

But 'Unmasked' in 1980 began to lose me... I wasn't a fan of the softer pop edge and it was downhill after that (the excreable 'Elder' in 1981, for example).  😬

• Like 3
4 hours ago, candyflip said:

But 'Unmasked' in 1980 began to lose me... I wasn't a fan of the softer pop edge and it was downhill after that (the excreable 'Elder' in 1981, for example).

G'day Jon.

My first album was Dynasty on vinyl, followed quickly by Alive II on vinyl...  all mine were vinyl.

I was more into the first three albums, and Rock 'n' Roll Over...  I never really listened to Love Gun and Destroyer.

But I loved Dynasty and Unmasked, even as you mentioned with the Pop tracks...  which I tend to skip...  I don't mind Shandi though.

I'm sure I mentioned my love for The Elder before...  I don't know...  call me tragic.  I know I'm one of the very few who liked it...  but I still like spinning that one. 

They lost me after that.  Once Peter and Ace were gone it was all over for me.  I didn't mind Creatures...  and a few tracks here and there...  but no more albums did it for me.  I kept buying the next record up to Animalize ( I think ), always hoping for another classic KISS album.  Then I gave up.

Many people dismiss this band, but they had some great Rock songs...  and a theatrical show.  The artwork is iconic, and the marketing technique of years of mystery surrounding the identity of these guys, is pure genius.  Remember...  no one had pictures of these guys without their make-up...  not possible these days with technology.

I played Destroyer a while back and really enjoyed it.  That's why I bought your nicer copy.  I have a listen to Love Gun now and then too...  I don't know what it was that kept me away from them back in the day, they're both awesome albums.

Cheers for the memories mate.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Demondes said:

Stanley knife!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

I'm sure I mentioned my love for The Elder before...  I don't know...  call me tragic.  I know I'm one of the very few who liked it...  but I still like spinning that one. 

Yeah I think The Elder is a great album. It is, as we say, 'fkn ace' 🙂

--Geoff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have no Kiss on vinyl ( but I have a few CD's of them). I did have Kiss Alive on vinyl but after I started smoking dope as a teen, I sold it. My music tastes changed a lot! However, I did see them live at Rod Laver Arena back in 2004 I think it was. Great show!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stevoz said:

I have no Kiss on vinyl ( but I have a few CD's of them). I did have Kiss Alive on vinyl but after I started smoking dope as a teen, I sold it. My music tastes changed a lot! However, I did see them live at Rod Laver Arena back in 2004 I think it was. Great show!

I'm tempted to take my 10 year old son, who lives in NZ, to their 'last ever show' (at least, for this Tour 😅) as the AUS dates and NZ were all cancelled in 2019 due to Paul Stanley's ill health.

They were my first concert at Waverly Park in 1980, and I'd love his first concert to be the band's 'last'.

Perhaps in 2021?

🤘🤘

• Like 2
On 19/10/2020 at 2:05 PM, audiofeline said:

I've always tried to use a fingernail to open a shrink-wrapped record, so there is minimal chance of damage.  Will use scissors or a utility knife to carefully start the split if the nail won't start it.  If the shrink doesn't split with the nail, will use a utility knife with only the minimal amount of blade exposed, so I don't risk damage to the inner bags/inserts/the record.

That is what I do too, I use a flat bladed butter knife (the old fashioned type with the bone handle as they are very dull) to pierce the shrink wrap and then just use the thumb nail to slide down to split the rest of the shrink. Never had an issue so far.

Also I keep nothing in shrink wrap - recently brought an album for $320 still in shrink ...................ripped it open as soon as I got it - the artists record the music to be played and I am gonna play it !! If I wanted wall art I could have printed up the album cover and framed it for $10 from Kmart using photo processing. hehe.

Also have read horror stories of not only the fact they might be warped inside after many years but also even of cases when cracked open a different album inside due to a mistake in packing at the record plant.  

• Like 2
On 19/10/2020 at 10:24 AM, candyflip said:

Doesn't happen everyday, and it's always fascinating to see what's inside and how they fared.

Plus I listen to it and see how it sounds - most importantly!  :) 

Cool video and a nice score! 

• Thanks 1

This has really made me want to open that 40 year old Twinkie I've been keeping in the original packaging.

On a more serious note, just spinning Destroyer on tape. Do you spin tape, or just wind?.

• Like 1
On 19/10/2020 at 11:27 AM, hired goon said:

Happy listening.

--Geoff

I will be dead soon enough why should someone else enjoy my records, they all get opened..

Chris

• Like 2
  • Love 1