Jump to content

Recommended Posts

That would be a killer entry level setup Tommy. 

You may have to pay a bit more for a 2nd hand Atmos soundbar but you will be getting the best out of it when combined with the Atmos capable Xbox 

Good luck 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TommyGunn said:

Yeah mate, sounds good. I want to feel the bass also. Will I get any tactile response from an 8 inch sub? 

 

At $450 I personally wouldn't muck around with a sound bar.

 

I'd be inclined to find a second-hand home theatre setup for the same budget, including five speakers, a 10/12" sub and a receiver/amplifier.

 

They pop up quite cheaply from time to time, and if you're considering reusing an old plasma, you don't need to worry about 4K compatibility.

 

Worst case scenario, you can connect the receiver via the optical digital connection.

 

This will run rings around any $450 sound bar.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites


You certainly can get a taste of tactile response even from a home theatre in a box sub. 

First you need to decouple your seat or sofa/lounge from the floor - I use Hudson 2.5” isolators. 

Then fix a plank of wood to the underside of your lounge 

I just use pine and then you just sit the sub on top of the plank and you now have a tactile response system for under $1000 dollars 

You won’t get much ULF but your music and movie watching will enhanced dramatically!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

That does sound interesting, I’ll let you know how I go. Are there other options I could explore down the track, to get a better TR? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TommyGunn said:

That does sound interesting, I’ll let you know how I go. Are there other options I could explore down the track, to get a better TR? 

 

Add 'bass actuators' to your seating... or simply go for a larger/better sub. 8" drivers don't shift much air.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete_mac said:

 

At $450 I personally wouldn't muck around with a sound bar.

 

I'd be inclined to find a second-hand home theatre setup for the same budget, including five speakers, a 10/12" sub and a receiver/amplifier.

 

They pop up quite cheaply from time to time, and if you're considering reusing an old plasma, you don't need to worry about 4K compatibility.

 

Worst case scenario, you can connect the receiver via the optical digital connection.

 

This will run rings around any $450 sound bar.

Agree on this.

 

I did the same although stretched my budget to $600 and got a second-hand Yamaha home theatre Atmos set-up and sounds a lot better than most sound bars.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, PLD said:

Agree on this.

 

I did the same although stretched my budget to $600 and got a second-hand Yamaha home theatre Atmos set-up and sounds a lot better than most sound bars.

Having had all my big HT gear evicted from the lounge, I now have one of these:

(Dayton passive sound bar)

 

It isn't exactly hi-fi but you run it off a HT receiver with a couple of small surrounds and a big subwoofer, is probably 85% of what I would prefer it to sound like but it's acceptable and relatively cheap.  2nd hand for the sub/receiver/surrounds and would leave $400 for a telly.  It's definitely superior to an active sound bar.

 

Major feature:  stops complaints about filling the lounge up with speakers, "lounge looks like a normal persons" etc. 🙄

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2020 at 7:23 PM, TommyGunn said:

Been given the $1000 challenge to get an av setup. I’m thinking...

65” plasma tv $350

xbox1s $200

Samsung sound bar $450

Hey Tommy

There is some great advice coming in. 

Btw what size room do you have?

Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, I'd personally look at trying to find a decent second hand 5.1 system. That's at least where I started my journey. I've started putting together an Aaron speaker system. You can get a pair of ATS-4's or ATS-5's quite cheap if you're willing to wait, they'll usually run you $100-$200ish. 


They perform above and beyond what I was expecting. They've got some great praise on this forum as a good entry level.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...