Anyone else doing a Korg Nutube B1 kit?

Feels like a year ago - my wife bought me one of these as a surprise. 

Just got a notification that it's shipped! Is anyone else trying one?

• Like 1

)I keep thinking about it, and I keep reading how  they (Nutubes) aren't, in fact, very good tubes.  Microphonics are a problem apparently,  maybe not so linear as well (to be fair, no tube works well at 12V :) ).   They are probably a good thing for guitar effects pedals, but not so sure for hifi.  Pity, as I wanted them to be great.  

17 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

)I keep thinking about it, and I keep reading how  they (Nutubes) aren't, in fact, very good tubes.  Microphonics are a problem apparently,  maybe not so linear as well (to be fair, no tube works well at 12V :) ).   They are probably a good thing for guitar effects pedals, but not so sure for hifi.  Pity, as I wanted them to be great.  

I was similarly skeptical though have faith in Papa Pass.

As a gift.... no choice :P 

I've had mine completed a while now, it can be microphonic if not isolated, SQ is very good though.

1 hour ago, Batty said:

SQ is very good though

I think Pass was right in his article, that they might inject just the right amount of "tube warmth" in a system that needs, or can benefit from it.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Batty said:

I've had mine completed a while now, it can be microphonic if not isolated, SQ is very good though.

Can microphonic be tamed by placing anti-vibration material like sorbothane pad under the nutube?

3 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Can microphonic be tamed by placing anti-vibration material like sorbothane pad under the nutube?

IIRC that's recommended even in Korg's own doco.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Spider27 said:

The kit I bought had a piece of double sided foam sticky tape.

• Like 1

At these low plate voltages, say 24V, you are running at positive grid voltages, and in a less than linear part of the curves.  Also, the need to buffer the input because of the grid current required with the positive grid voltages, and also the need to buffer the output because of the high Rp make this valve a bit hard to work with.

I'd like to  try it at a higher plate voltage, but that detracts from it's appeal to those not wanting to play with higher voltages.   They are doing something like that here  https://diyaudiostore.com/products/korg-nutube

Figure5_1024x1024.png?v=1547179646

IaVa_IgVg_No9.jpg