Sign in to follow this  
atavid

Is this a HDMI issue ?

Decided to change my HT system over fully to HDMI cables rather than the mismash of component,composite,toslink and HDMI i was connecting it all with.

Connected my Samsung Blue Ray player to my Marantz SR6001 receiver via 1.4 HDMI cable....no problem..got vision and sound.

Then i connected my Western Digital media player via its HDMI port to the 6001...no good..no vision ..no sound.Did all the usual things like reconnected the WD via composite to go into settings to force the HDMI connection...no luck either.

I can connect the WD via HDMI directly to my older Samsung Plasma TV and it all works fine.So its not the cable,its not the TV.

The Marantz SR6001 only has 1.2 specification HDMI ports,but curiously my Samsung Blue Ray player which has 1.4 spec ports works fine through the Marantz.

Can anyone please help shed some light on why i cant get the WD to work through the Marantz.

Perhaps try on swap the HDMI leads if you havn't already.

Then try a different HDMI input??

As far as I can see if it works in one component it should work on another,but then again stranger things do happen quite often.

Did you try both inputs on the 6001 with the WD?

Thanks guys,i know its difficult to make a diagnosis remotely,i have tried three known working HDMI cables.Ive tried both HDMI inputs on the Marantz.I cant find any info about compatibility/specification on the WD media player's HDMI output which i suspect might be part of the problem,or more to the point its compatibility with the Marantz 1.2 spec HDMI input.

According to your manual p59 some possible reasons are:

If no video via HDMI

The HDMI mode is not correctly

set on the SR6001.

Set HDMI input on the FUNC INPUT

SETUP menu as explained on page 28.

If no audio via HDMI

The SR6001 is set to the HDMI

audio “THROUGH†mode.

In the “THROUGH†mode, sound is not

produced from the SR6001. Set it to

“ENABLEâ€. (see page 39)

Thank you Jake for taking the trouble to locate and read the SR6001 manual,thats very kind of you.

Yes i have messed around with all these settings quite a bit,its just the most badly explained manual ive ever tried to understand,but i have worked most of this part out.The FUNC INPUT section is a little confusing at first ,(second and third time as a matter of a fact)however i gleaned that i had to set these according to the socket i plugged each piece of equipment into.

For example My TV's tuner audio optical output is connected to the SR6001's number 1 optical input ....so i have the first component on that list(TV) set to"AUTO" then "1" under the 'Dig' heading.

I have my BD/DVD player into the Sr 6001's number 1 HDMI input (no optical cable,just the HDMI) so i go to "DVD" "AUTO" then "1" under the HDMI setting.

I tried to set the VCR up as the WD media player's input by setting VCR to "AUTO" then "2" under HDMI and set all the other settings to "-" except the V/S headings which dont seem to make any difference.

Edited by atavid

Been doing some searching and it could be a "handshake" issue with hdmi.God knows how i work this one out.

Have you tried plugging another source into the input you wish to use for the WD media player?

Hi Batty, the other source i have is the BD player and i have, and yes ,it will work on either input.But youve given me the idea to try my old pioneer hdd HDMI recorder which i will take out of hibernation.Thanks.

Glad to be of assistance

If it was my denon I would suspect it wouldl be the setup for the input your using for the the WD. that input may have a component input setup insteaed of hdmi

Is there an assign function for HDMI source on the marantz GUI

With HDMI issues, the start up order can be the difference between success and failure - it's worth playing with this.

Yes Warren,there is and i've assigned it,correctly i think.I've just been out mucking around with it all again now .I went back in to all the settings changed a few things and tried again.Still no video/audio with HDMI from the WD.Interestingly i connected it back up directly to one of the TV HDMI inputs directly i previously had it working on, and now i cant get video/audio that way now either. (Sigh)

The other thing i noticed was that i cant get audio out of any of the outputs like VCR or tape outs from the Marantz.

I wanted to connect the receiver output up to my preamp to route the audio through my stereo system as i have done in the past(i dont use all that 7.1 surround stuff)

Mabye because all the signals are now digital or something.The 6001 does have a coaxial and an optical output but i dont have any available jacks on my Stello DAC unless i can get hold of a USB to Optical or Coax adapter.Any way different problem ,i think.

So it seems i have more issues to deal with than i thought.Tomorrow i will try that old Pioneer and see what happens there,but this Marantz sure is a pernickity old bas***d.Ive shut it all down again in the probably vain hope that it may somehow reset itself and at least work the way i had previously set up.

I also just found a copy online of the manual for the WD, and it uses 1.3 spec for its HDMI,i also noticed it shows a reset button on the side to switch it all back to default settings which i may also try tomorrow.

With HDMI issues, the start up order can be the difference between success and failure - it's worth playing with this.

Quark,from your experience what order do you reckon start up should occur.?The four components are, Receiver, BD/DVD Player, WD Media Player and TV.

Quark,from your experience what order do you reckon start up should occur.?The four components are, Receiver, BD/DVD Player, WD Media Player and TV.

It tends to be somewhat random, but if I was a betting on it, I'd try starting the Marantz last.

Solved ! Connecting the other old Pioneer recorder seemed to do the trick.Once it connected then i unplugged it and re plugged in the WD and it worked.I love that it is fixed ,but God i hate not knowing exactly what happened to actually fix it.

Well done - good to hear you've got it sorted.