Output issues from Netflix and Stan (but not Prime)

I finally replaced my 11 year old AVR with a ex-demo Denon 3500h (bought it 6 months ago but only installed it yesterday).
When watching Netflix or Stan, I seem to only be receiving 2 channels of audio, so my decode options are things like Dolby Surround or DTS Neural X or Virtual X.

When watching Prime, it is showing up as receiving a full multi channel stream (Multi Channel In). I have a 3.1 setup which hopefully the AVR does a good job of downmixing to.
I am still running an old PS3 (original large unit) which is sending LPCM. Is there any way to get Netflix and Stan to play a native multi channel stream?

Cheers in advance for the assistance.

Netflix supports 5.1 surround sound on select titles

Titles that have 5.1 surround sound available will display either a Dolby Digital Plus icon or a 5.1 icon on the movie description page.

5.1 icon

Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 icon

Dolby Digital Plus

Netflix works using Dolby Digital Plus (DD+). To check if the sound of a film is DD+ compatible just look at the information page for each film. DD+ works via HDMI (from version 1.3). Another requirement from the streaming service is a bandwidth of at least 3 mega bites per second (download stream).

That's the info for netfix I could find, so not all titles will have multi channel audio.
Edited by muon*

I would think should is inconsequential if netflix is not streaming it as multi channel. Maybe your old AVR was up mixing to multi channel?

I found this page, if you are having difficulty with ones that are indicated to be multi channel.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14163

Edit: do you get multi channel with ones that have the logo for 5.1 on the info page ?

Edited by muon*

39 minutes ago, Andre28 said:

but couldn't actually find 5.1 written anywhere

I think this answers your question @muon*

Either the content isn't available as 5.1 or it's to do with where Netflix is being streamed from. I'm pretty sure I've noticed differences with what the app on my TV does, compared with the one on my Apple TV 4K.

It could possibly also be due to Netflix downgrading content during covid to minimise internet blockage.

Edit: Pretty sure I've had these issues with Netflix lately also, and just put it down to what I said above. I can't remember if the issue occurred with content labelled as multichannel, but iirc it happened with Stranger Things which I assumed would have multichannel audio.

Thinking about it more, I doubt it has to do with minimizing bandwidth use as Netflix titles are still showing as uhd 4k, so unless they're actually not, then audio would require much less bandwidth I would've thought.

Edited by Esoterica
  • Like 1

Ok this is really odd. Netflix now coming up with the 5.1 option and showing up as DD, while Stan is taking the full pcm stream and displaying multi channel in. I am 99% sure i haven't done anything differently from yesterday though!

• Like 1