Technics sl1210 mk7 : should I go to sl1200gr?

10 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

You could tell that everything from handling out the record to dropping the needle was pure muscle memory, didn’t even touch the sides of her brain :) 

Indeed.

Completely off-topic, but it's a completely different spectator experience when someone mixes with vinyl vs a fully digital setup. You could be playing the exact same music, but people who are new to the game are fixated on the rotation of the vinyl, how the DJ handles their records, searching for particular beats or phrases in the tracks upon which to start the track, and the process of slip-cueing the records. It has that hands-on element to it and an experienced DJ makes it look so easy and fluid.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Indeed.

Completely off-topic, but it's a completely different spectator experience when someone mixes with vinyl vs a fully digital setup. You could be playing the exact same music, but people who are new to the game are fixated on the rotation of the vinyl, how the DJ handles their records, searching for particular beats or phrases in the tracks upon which to start the track, and the process of slip-cueing the records. It has that hands-on element to it and an experienced DJ makes it look so easy and fluid.

I used to love watching videos of Cut Chemist and NuMark, MixMaster Mike, Q-Bert etc doing their thing. It’s like watching the practised movements of any skilled musician but theres a lot more diversity of movement and... topology(?) in DJing

The early days of YouTube for me were pretty much DJTube :D 

(sorry to go OT)

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

vinyl vs a fully digital setup. You could be playing the exact same music, but people who are new to

Definitely! I mean I have been watching DJs for more than 20years, and watching a skilled DJ playing vinyl is always a treat and always fascinating. 

9 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

It’s like watching the practised movements of any skilled musician but theres a lot more diversity of movement and... topology(?) in DJing

That's just how I feel about it. And that's why the SL1200 has a strong allure for me as TT.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sleach said:

Definitely! I mean I have been watching DJs for more than 20years, and watching a skilled DJ playing vinyl is always a treat and always fascinating. 

That's just how I feel about it. And that's why the SL1200 has a strong allure for me as TT.

I sold my rega RP6 (my 3rd “hifi” turntable) a couple of years ago to bow out of vinyl altogther. The tweakiness of the playback chain always gave me anxiety that I wasn’t getting the most out of it. Luckily I never got around to selling off my records because last year I read about the SL1500C and thought, that’s exactly what I need, no tweaking, all in one, clean-looking etc.

Ultimately budget led me to a 2nd hand Audio Technical LP5 as a stepping stone but I’ll probably put a better cart on it some time soon, which I’ll then transfer to a SL1500C when they start showing up on the 2nd hand market. It’s all I want my analogue front end to be; simple, durable, neat-looking, no nonsense, great-sounding (according to all reports) and reasonably affordable. I don’t really give a toss where it’s made. My amp is Chinese and it sounds amazing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sleach said:

I went from vinyl, to CDJs in the mid 2000s, and then back to vinyl only a few years ago but with a twist - I now use a digital vinyl system (DVS) which uses turntables and two digitally-encoded records to manipulate digital files. It's the best of both worlds for me - easy access to my music, but the hands-on feel of turntables and vinyl.

I'd love another pair of SL1200s (I wish I still had the pair that I bought new in 2001) but for the time being the Reloop RP-7000s are doing the job quite well indeed. Very happy with their feel and performance.

(Apologies to the OP... I've taken this well and truly down a different road!)

decks.png.5b47036f8a3ca9676df8d746273a244e.png

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

I went from vinyl, to CDJs in the mid 2000s, and then back to vinyl only a few years ago but with a twist - I now use a digital vinyl system (DVS) which uses turntables and two digitally-encoded records to manipulate digital files. It's the best of both worlds for me - easy access to my music, but the hands-on feel of turntables and vinyl.

I'd love another pair of SL1200s (I wish I still had the pair that I bought new in 2001) but for the time being the Reloop RP-7000s are doing the job quite well indeed. Very happy with their feel and performance.

(Apologies to the OP... I've taken this well and truly down a different road!)

decks.png.5b47036f8a3ca9676df8d746273a244e.png

Ah mate, the 4D! I only recently sold mine for a 96 and some A&H K2's as a replacement. They're a beast. Waaay heavier than the 96 :)

Sorry also for being OTT but have you tried the Phase devices instead of time coded vinyl? Pretty cool idea and meant to be awesome to use. At first its so weird you don't need to use your needles.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

Ah mate, the 4D! I only recently sold mine for a 96 and some A&H K2's as a replacement. They're a beast. Waaay heavier than the 96 :)

Sorry also for being OTT but have you tried the Phase devices instead of time coded vinyl? Pretty cool idea and meant to be awesome to use. At first its so weird you don't need to use your needles.  

Yeah, the 4D has served me well. I was contemplating a 92 or 96, but I just can't let her go.

I haven't tried the Phase devices, but I've seen the youtube clips etc. They are pretty damn cool, although I think they'd take away that tactile and ritualistic element of using the tonearm that I really enjoy. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice folks! Sounds like it is decided then. I was eyeing couple of LP-12 on the forum recently but they seem like different beasts.

One more question though, what  cartridge and phono stage you would recommend to go with it?

Just bit of background, I have a Rega p1 since 2012 which was paired with some Emotiva gear. I have upgrade the dac to BF2, Qutest which is fed by Roon --> Chromecast audio and testing a Yggy on loan, pre-amp to Mjolnir 2 recently and now p1 sounds crap comparatively. Power Amp is still Emotive XPA-2 for now.

Edited by salad onion
  • Like 1

I have a Technics M5G with a bunch of mods, KAB PSU, Applied Fidelity Sapphire Bearing, KAB Fluid Damper, Funk Firm Achromat, KAB Strobe defeat, Jelco Headshell, Wood bodied AT95 with a JICO Hyperelliptical stylus running through a Schitt Mani and Swagman PSU.  If I had my time again I would not bother with the bearing, strobe defeat, PSU.  I would maybe look at the Delrin bearing base from KAB, but I'm not sure it is compatible with the new SL1200s.

I have a link to one of my needle drops on YouTube with this setup.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, metal beat said:

IMO a 1200GR will wipe the floor of a Rega 6.   Technics all the way.

Yep - love my 1200GR - I did try the Rega before purchasing my Technics and there is no competition IMHO. ?

Edited by April Snow
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, salad onion said:

Thanks for the advice folks! Sounds like it is decided then. I was eyeing couple of LP-12 on the forum recently but they seem like different beasts.

One more question though, what  cartridge and phono stage you would recommend to go with it?

Just bit of background, I have a Rega p1 since 2012 which was paired with some Emotiva gear. I have upgrade the dac to BF2, Qutest which is fed by Roon --> Chromecast audio and testing a Yggy on loan, pre-amp to Mjolnir 2 recently and now p1 sounds crap comparatively. Power Amp is still Emotive XPA-2 for now.

really depends on your budget.    Dynavector P75 Mk 4 is amazing for the price, however it is over 1k.

cartridge, there are many :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, metal beat said:

really depends on your budget.    Dynavector P75 Mk 4 is amazing for the price, however it is over 1k.

cartridge, there are many :)

Keep a look out in the SNA classifieds.

From memory, April Snow paid around $450 (shipped) for hers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nkoulban said:

If I had my time again I would not bother with the bearing, strobe defeat, PSU.  I would maybe look at the Delrin bearing base from KAB, but I'm not sure it is compatible with the new SL1200s

Sounds like the fluid damper is definitely worthwhile

Edited by sleach

19 hours ago, salad onion said:

I am tossing between SL1200gr and Rega planar 6. Any thought

hours ago, salad onion said:
I am tossing between SL1200gr and Rega planar 6. Any thoughts?

Hope it is not too off-topic...

s?

Hope it is not too off-topic...

Well I was comparing to a Pro-ject RPM3 with ortofon silver and the 1210 mk7 was a significant improvement. The GR would be better still (that's why I want one!)

Many thanks!

Sounds like a done deal then. November is the month for it.  @sleach Let me know if you want to do a group buy to see if we can get a better price.

I will keep an eye out for Dynavector p75 mk4 on the forum too. Also looks like I need to get rid of some of the older gear too ?.

• 6 months later...

I have mentioned a couple of times in this tread about a lid but no hinges on the SL1210 Mk 7 so I decided to do some thing about it.

Spent some time looking for a second hand hinge set and found one for $125 including post. you would think a hinge set for SL1200 would be quite easy to find as most DJs ditched the lid and hinges and there are some on the net but mainly overseas.

Fitting is quite straightforward.

Attach hinges to lid and apply some masking tape to the the TT base . Holding the black plastic brackets in place mark the position of the bolt holes. Remove all the screws from the base, including the ones under the feet, and drill holes for the bolts in the previously marked positions. The metal plate that locates in side the base has threads taped in to it and there is a recess cast in to the plastic TT base' for it to locate. I had to slightly shorten the plates for mine to fit.

With the hinges on the lid and the brackets bolted in place, reassemble the TT and slip the lid on.

The angled black brackets are not required.

Hinge set for Technics SL1200 or SL1210

1619095087_TECHNICSSL1210MK7HINGE4.thumb.jpg.b3fffc08da074945120875e4d5e673b3.jpg

822643926_TECHNICSSL1210MK7HINGE3.thumb.jpg.ba85387127b9be3171a8f1ddfc629e9e.jpg1835322030_TECHNICSSL1210MK7HINGE2.thumb.jpg.a54c4cca8e5502a88aca79f3a7351e7e.jpg

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 2

On 16/10/2020 at 6:59 PM, Warren Jones said:

If it were mine I would keep the mk7 and make a few upgrades

Dave Crawley in the UK sells upgraded bearings for the 1200 and KAB sells a fluid damping setup for the tonearm. IMO these upgrades will push the mk7 well up towards the gr.

I agree with the damper, but not the bearing. The stock bearing gives astonishingly low wow and flutter and the rumble which is also crazy low proves the stock bearing is doing a really good job. When the Timestep sl1200 mk2 was reviewed with Daves bearing the wow and flutter and rumble went UP the rest was good but I still for various reasons prefer the Kab PSU etc but that is a topic for another thread. The best Mod you can do bar non if the OP has rewiring skills is rewire the tonearm. Not because it needs rewiring but while doing it you can insert the 5 dollar Kab arm damping tube inside the arm. You simply can not over damp an arm the more the better, well dropping the undamped arm tube a few cm's onto my desk the bounced many times vibrating too. After tube was inserted it landed on the desk with a thunk and did not bounce. Sonically it is amazing so wide and clean.

The GR is a great turntable, I have a G along with an SP10mk2 and a sl1210mk2. The 1210 has Kab mods damper psu etc and most recently the arm insert. Comparing the G to the sl1210mk2 modded which is better? Honestly I dont know right now probably the mk2 which has convinced me to add the arm insert to the G, but that will have to wait a few weeks as really busy at the moment. In a nutshell if it was my money I would search out the best mk2 I could find as they are easier to mod than a GR.

Chris

• Like 2