Technics sl1210 mk7 : should I go to sl1200gr?

I came Icross one of these on special and sort of bought it on impulse. I'm actually really impressed and I think it sounds great! Maybe the best turntable I have had, including a few of the more modest Pro-ject offerings (up to RPM3) and a cleaudio concept. 

It's not had the best reception online due to apparently not being as well built as the previous sl1200s. 

But like I said - I am really pleased with it. Not only the sound which I am thoroughly enjoying, but also the feel of using it. It's just fun and easy to play records with this.

Because this hobby is like a sort of brain disease, I am immediately wondering whether it's worth stretching to an sl1200gr. Any thoughts?

IMG_20201016_170234.thumb.jpg.a942fa5fda99490d4ff8ce38550f86a0.jpgIMG_20201016_171519.thumb.jpg.23e98ced1db1816ba869aa44ca0af533.jpg

I also have a SL1210 Mk 7 plus a pair of SL1200 Mk 2's and a Rega Planer 2.

The Mk 7 is the first new turntable I have owned and I am also really pleased with it.

I would prefer it if the lid was hinged but that can probably be sorted out.

For what I paid for it I could buy a pair of Mk7's for the price of a sl1200gr and I presently feel no need to upgrade.

Yes the Mk7's are probably not quite as robust as my Mk2's but I am not going to cart it around and use it as a DJ deck, so that is not an issue for me.

1564073577_TechnicsSL1210MK73.thumb.JPG.3158813f77112c3f3014f10b18e9eb27.JPG

1670022064_TechnicsSL1210MK72.thumb.JPG.97fb5dda0104d639e078ab8ef7cd6d9e.JPG

2067583826_TechnicsSL1210Mk7mat.thumb.JPG.d2b7147dba97746f3adc6902f0a7f851.JPG

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

If it were mine I would keep the mk7 and make a few upgrades

Dave Crawley in the UK sells upgraded bearings for the 1200 and KAB sells a fluid damping setup for the tonearm. IMO these upgrades will push the mk7 well up towards the gr.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

If it were mine I would keep the mk7 and make a few upgrades

Dave Crawley in the UK sells upgraded bearings for the 1200 and KAB sells a fluid damping setup for the tonearm. IMO these upgrades will push the mk7 well up towards the gr.

That sounds like a great idea!

If order parts from those guys, is it difficult to install them? I mean, the cartridge is fine of course, but upgrading the bearings and tonearm sounds a bit more technical. I don't really want to send the whole unit around the world though. I guess I could find a technician in Australia though.

The tonearm dampener is relatively easy to install, and can be removed if you want to sell the deck later as stock. 

What you do re the deck like usual comes down to funds! I have checked out the Mk7, GR and G. I had to choose between the Mk7 and GR as a present for a mate of mine... sure the GR is significantly dearer, but if you're looking at this for a long term deck and can afford it, i think the GR is definitely the sweet spot in the range, and a solid Japan made deck that you can then upgrade as funds permit and properly be happy and done with it.

The Mk7 (made in Malaysia) seemed really cheap in comparison to the GR (IMO). I have some M5G's and i would not swap them for a Mk7. The GR however is a much nicer bit of kit.

If overall you only want to spend the cost of the GR, then going with the Mk7 and upgrading some bits will likely lead to the overall better SQ.

I would do the tonearm dampener, and also a regulated linear power supply first. Also things like an upgraded mat for the platter, cartridge of course, record weight. You could also look at new footers (like the isonoe's), and a dedicated platform for the table (the ikea chopping boards are a cheap tweak!).

Let us know how you go :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

If overall you only want to spend the cost of the GR, then going with the Mk7 and upgrading some bits will likely lead to the overall better SQ

I've ordered an oyaide mat. I will certainly go for the fluid damping.

I know that what will probably happen is that I will do a bunch of the upgrades to the mk7 and then eventually end up going to a gr.

• Like 1

bought the mk7 over the wkend....

gonna transfer the 2M Bronze cartridge from the all arcylic pro-ject 9.1x (motor power supply waiting replacement) to this.

how do people usually adjust the overhang on a technics?

(is the pro-ject align it tool any use?) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

gonna transfer the 2M Bronze cartridge from the all arcylic pro-ject 9.1x (motor power supply waiting replacement) to this.

Technics TT's usually come with a cartridge gauge don't they? You just stick the headshell in it and you can judge the overhang...

19 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

New-Technics-SFK0135-01-Overhang-Gauge-For-SL-1200-Japan

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Technics-SFK0135-01-Overhang-Gauge-For-SL-1200-Japan/152184194344?epid=1045074692&hash=item236ee28528:g:ukwAAOSwWnFWB4l4&frcectupt=true

6 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

That's the one!

Every SL i've ever bought has come with one.

Not my MK7 ,unfortunately

Helps to keep the cost down I suppose, like no hinges. 

I already had one for my MK2's so not a problem for me.

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jeromelang said:

would have like to have the hinges

Would also prefer it to have hinges

I think it would not be too hard to come up with a bracket for hinges ,perhaps attached by the bolt for the feet.

Will try and work some thing out when it is out of warranty.

Edited by EV Cali

On 17/10/2020 at 10:44 AM, sleach said:

I know that what will probably happen is that I will do a bunch of the upgrades to the mk7 and then eventually end up going to a gr.

When this happens I tell myself that the remaining dollars in my bank account are actually audiophiles, and are fully supportive of what happened to the rest of 'em. 

1 hour ago, EV Cali said:
1 hour ago, wikeeboy said:

Every SL i've ever bought has come with one.

Not my MK7 ,unfortunately

Helps to keep the cost down I suppose, like no hinges. 

No gauge with mine either, though it was "open box" so maybe somebody already found a use for it.

At the moment I'm using a Concorde club so the overhang should be ok I think.

1 hour ago, sleach said:

No gauge with mine either, though it was "open box" so maybe somebody already found a use for it.

At the moment I'm using a Concorde club so the overhang should be ok I think.

If you're using an ortofon concorde club no need for any tweaking, it's all done for you. Unless you're using the OM version of the cartridge? In that case you'll need to set it up wth the gauge.

Has anyone compared between SL1210 MK7 vs SL1500c?

I believe that both units are manufactured in Malaysia (probably same exact factory) and one is quite cheaper (abt $400~$500) than the other.

SL1500c has built in phono preamp which I was told that quite decent (only support MM cart) and comes with 2M Red cart as standard when SL1210 MK7 does not come with any cart if I understood correctly.

SL1500C looks very clean without pitch control etc but not sure if it is worth $500 premium against the other.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Has anyone compared between SL1210 MK7 vs SL1500c?

I believe that both units are manufactured in Malaysia (probably same exact factory) and one is quite cheaper (abt $400~$500) than the other.

SL1500c has built in phono preamp which I was told that quite decent (only support MM cart) and comes with 2M Red cart as standard when SL1210 MK7 does not come with any cart if I understood correctly.

SL1500C looks very clean without pitch control etc but not sure if it is worth $500 premium against the other.  

I would have been happy with the SL1500c but it was $700 more, than what I purchased the SL1200 Mk 7 for and I did not require the internal phone and cart.

I believe all internals, arm, to be the same. Would have been nice to have the hinges on the lid though.

Mine was open box but it arrived with a crack in the lid . No problem I was told, take it in to your nearest branch and we will swap it. So in I go, they bring out a new one ,we open it to check the lid is ok and I am on my  way again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeromelang said:

1210mk7 sounds pretty good straight out of the box!

looks great in your set-up too!

6 hours ago, Spider27 said:

SL1500C looks very clean without pitch control

I have to admit that the classic 1200 look is a big part of the appeal for me. After years of watching my favourite DJs use them it is nice to have one for home use too.

And during lockdown I have really gotten into the Telekom beats videos, especially the b-sides series like this - and just enjoying watching them pick up and put down the stylus - easy and casual. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sleach said:

looks great in your set-up too!

I have to admit that the classic 1200 look is a big part of the appeal for me. After years of watching my favourite DJs use them it is nice to have one for home use too.

And during lockdown I have really gotten into the Telekom beats videos, especially the b-sides series like this - and just enjoying watching them pick up and put down the stylus - easy and casual. 

Love her happy mood and make me smile watching her video. 

And, she has impressive needle drop skill without using cueing lever. ☺️

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

And, she has impressive needle drop skill without using cueing lever. ☺️

As a DJ it's a rite of passage - you become accustomed to quickly and precisely handling the tonearm without damaging the records. There's no time to use a cueing lever whilst mixing.

• Like 3