Speakers $1000-2000 to go with Benchmark AHB2 and RME adi-2 dac

Hey guys, first time posting an advice thread so please go easy on me. I'm looking for some speaker recommendations to pair with a benchmark amplifier and RME adi-2 DAC.

At the moment I want to spend $1-2k on stereo speakers. I'm open to floor standers or bookshelves but they need to have some bass extension (nothing crazy just want to be able to use them without a sub).

I've thought about kef ls50s but never pulled the trigger, as I'm worried they'd be a little thin sounding in my set up.

I'm close to ordering a set of Revel concerta2 m16s as they can be had for about $1.4k at the moment and I like what I've read about them in reviews.

Also open to used speakers. I'm located in Sydney. I saw some Sonus Faber Cremona auditors but again I'm woried that they'll sound thin/lack bass. I have fairly eclectic music taste as I listen to jazz quite often and appreciate good acoustic instrument reproduction, but I also need the speakers to be pleasing when listening to electronic music as my housemate likes to DJ once in a while and my setup will be used for that.

And yes I should spend more on speakers than my amp and DAC but I'll keep those for a long time while I'm likely to upgrade speakers as time goes on.

Cheers Andrej

What size is the room for the speaker to match and the bass to likely fill.

Refer to the tagged speaker audition shortlist for new current options 

There are numerous used older and newer candidates with good bass, musicality and detail in terms of bookshelf or standmount options such as Lenehan, Jamo Concert 8, ATC, Proac various models, Dynaudio 40 and others, Sonus Faber various, Spendor, Kef Ls50 and R3 etc. Similarly many floorstander options by the same brands and others as already mentioned.

You can also add a quality subwoofer to a bookshelf speakers such as a REL, SVS and others.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replys so far!

Will look into those options.

Lenehan tend to be out of the price range as do r3s.

Room is approx 3.5m X 6.6m with glass on one side of the speakers and hard reflective walls. 

Speaker will sit opposite the couch in this floor plan.

I have a Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofer I can use but struggled to integrate it in the current room, probably because of room mode (to be fair I didn't spend much time I just tried it out and decided not to use it. I'm also in an apartment so am worried about too much bass annoying neighbours.

Screenshot_20201016-075002_Gallery.jpg

Personally I would go for the AP but the Def techs are supposed to be very good.

The reason I recommend the AP is they are very good with jazz and acoustic but there is still decent bass for electronic etc.

The AP’s image very well and are very good at disappearing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteer
14 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Personally I would go for the AP but the Def techs are supposed to be very good.

The reason I recommend the AP is they are very good with jazz and acoustic but there is still decent bass for electronic etc.

The AP’s image very well and are very good at disappearing.

I've heard Audio Physics a few times at various hifi shows and they have always impressed

• Like 2

I am biased as I am a big fan of Definitive Technology, but here are some anecdotes based on my experience.

Over the years I have bought and sold gear, including many DT speakers. Not to make money or anything like that. Just comes naturally when you upgrade, move in a different direction, or see something you must have and buy etc.

Most my sales are your typical sales, people make enquires, some audition, some buy ... etc.

I sold a pair of DT Mythos STS and the bigger ST speakers about 3 years apart. With both sales, the buyer messages me a few hours after buying to tell me how great the speakers sound and how happy they are. These were 2 random people 3 years apart and both had the same reaction when buying DT Mythos ST/STS.

But as I said, I am a big fan, so my view may be biased. And as always with audio, YMMV depending on many different things.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Pulled the trigger on the AP's. I think they are about right sizewise for my room and hopefully sound great with a range of music.

DT's did seem good too but I was a little worried that an amp would blow out on them and be impossible to replace. Also would have been hard to get them due to requiring freight. Someone already bought them so hopefully everyone's happy.

Cheers

Andrej

• Like 2

Here you go pops ? 

They sound good, especially when cranked. Great balance overall and like you said they disappear so you don't feel like you are listening to two boxes.

I wouldn't say they are the last word in detail/resolution, the treble is just smooth and pleasant to listen to. I think the detail is there, it's just not the focus as it is on some other audiophile speakers.

Overall they're fun to listen to and I think they look pretty good so I'm happy for now.

Thanks for your help!

20201103_080847.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice mate. Room looks really nice and somewhere I’d be happy to sit for hours listening to tunes.

As you say they may not be detail retrieval beasts but are very musical, easy to listen to and look pretty good too.