I have currently bought the following for my HT Room:

L/C/R: Krix Megaphonix in Wall

Rear: Krix Atmospherix AS

Atmos: Krix Atmospherix AS

Sub: SVS PB16 Ultra

Projector: Epson TW9400

I am looking for processor/amp recommendations.

My first thoughts was a Yamaha RX-A3080, but after reading these forums it seems like having separate power amps will give a better result.

I can get a Yamaha CX-A5200 for ~$2,500, and have found the Yamaha PX3's seem to offer very good power for their price (Yamaha Website)

Does anyone have any feedback on these amps?

Id like to get away with spending ~$6k, but can go a little over if I need to (including processor)

I liked the idea of Yamaha due to likely using 4 x WXA-50's in the rest of the house for music streaming.

These have not been purchased yet either though so open to different suggestions on setup of these.

Thanks

Michael

Edited by micha3l
Spelling

You don't have to by an amp.

However running many channels of an AVR does decrease how much it can drive each speaker. Whilst they may claim 130watts per channel that is only driving 2 channels, add more channels have less per channel.

I run 9 channels, I estimated I was getting 50 watts per channel from my Marantz SR6014. It also wasn't very clear sound, clarity.

Ended up purchasing a 7 channel NAD M25 at 160 watts per channel, I use it to run the 5 floor level speakers and the AVR handles the 4 heights. It's second hand of course. It's class AB, didn't want class D.

Other options would be Elektra amps which are very good and made in Aus. Either 3 5 or 7 channels and not badly priced even new.

Or you could just see how it goes with the Yammy, fortunately your Krix speakers are quite easy to drive and have a high sensitivity IIRC.

• Like 1

AVR + 3ch or 5ch power amp is a more common option. With 5ch power amp RX-A2080 is more than enough. Power amp will also let you run speakers full range (large) and subwoofer will only play LFE. 

If it was my money I would buy the Lexicon 7 channel multi room AV receiver currently in the Home Theatre classifieds. Over $13k when released and build quality is excellent.

Plenty of choices out there for separate Preamp Processors, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel, Parasound the list goes on. Obviously having a separate pre power amp combo, you will get better punch and dynamics. 

2, 3, 5, 7 channel power amp options you can mix and match up.

Regards

Michael  

3 hours ago, gemini07 said:

If it was my money I would buy the Lexicon 7 channel multi room AV receiver currently in the Home Theatre classifieds. Over $13k when released and build quality is excellent.

IIRC the Lexicon receiver was pre-HDMI, so would need sources with analog outputs and a HDMI switch for video. There was also 7 channel Lexicon power amp advertised in June - that's a potential option, but may have an issue with one channel.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

IIRC the Lexicon receiver was pre-HDMI, so would need sources with analogue outputs and a HDMI switch for video. There was also 7 channel Lexicon power amp advertised in June - that's a potential option, but may have an issue with one channel.

Correct. The solution would be an Oppo, with the video output directly via HDMI into the TV.

• Like 1