McChanson Valve Amp owner discussion thread...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a recent pic of most of my lounge room system.   The McChanson 300B )Shuguang Black Treasures) is to the right [next to the Elekit (then 5881) SEPentode amp]. I am trying the 6FD7 dr

My McChanson

My little 12 W PP Triode on the left and the newer 300B SET on the right with the Sansui SR-929 TT above...Pioneer PD-7700 CDP below...  

There's Sword of Destiny. 😋 Don't think I want to return Sword to Eric. Of course he has no clue what is Sword.

The RCA 6L6 in Sword is just amazing. It's a priceless sword now. Dennis's Mullard GZ34 metal base is in Destiny. 

IMG_2359.jpg

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

This setup sends goosebumps up my spine. The power and the glory this amp exhibit. I have a hard time deciding which I prefer more - Sword or Destiny. All this listening with LCD4.

IMG_2360.jpg

• Like 1

So I just did a few hour comparison of my McChanson 300b vs my Line Magnetic 300b. What struck me was how much louder the McChanson was. Level matching my source was around 40% for the McChanson and 60% for the LM with both amps dials around 95% to max. 

• Like 2

found a couple of photos of my ex McChanson... (a 12AU7 preamp, an 2W EL84/6P15P/SV83 headphone/integrated amp and also my current 6AS7 before the conversion when it was a power amp 2013...to work with the 12AU7 preamp (second photo in the background on the left). 

power amp (18).JPG

20170115_003947.jpg

20170311_215742.jpg

Edited by dwbasement
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

@Odyssey must luv his amp so much he's forgotten all about us here waiting for an update. Oih - get back here. We need to chat about tube rolling. Luke, I mean odyssey, it's your destiny. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry but I've gone on a world promotion tour with Destiny ! 

Alright I'm back now to talk McChanson's amps again... in particularly Destiny. Something happen in the last week that made me question my sanity. Well I wanted to use direct heating rectifiers (274b etc) in Destiny as well as indirect heating rectifiers (GZ34 etc). So Eric suggested that I take the amp back to him for an experimentation. Change the 47 uf to 4.7 uf. Don't ask me what the hell is that. I leave that for @xlr8or to explain haha ! This change will lower the B+... 🙄 ... again don't ask me what the hell is that... I will leave that to xlr8or to explain.... btw can you get an easier name to type? 😁

Anyhoo, after the cosmetic surgery Destiny has lost power ! From Maclaren V12 to Toyota 4 cylinders. OMG. So back it goes to Eric for reverse engineering to back to square one. Now it's back to 47 uf and Destiny drives my Axis LS88 to astonishing levels with poise and control. Such a lovely sounding and singing amp... I mean it makes my speakers and my HiFiMan He1000se and my Audeze LCD4 sound super sexy !

Now I could have just post this picture and not have to write all that and it would have been self explanatory but I am back ! ... like Arnie says.

IMG_2377.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Eric has also loan me his personal KT150 amp that can roll KT88. KT77, KT66, EL34, 6L6, 6L6GC, 6L6G, 6L6GA, 6550, 807, EL39, EL12 spez ...... someone please stop my keyboard from typing !!!

Love this amp ! Sound is a lot tighter than Destiny. Eric type Amy instead of Amp... so I shall call her Amy which is a nice name ! Anyhoo, I run Amy with my speakers and my headphones with speaker taps headphone cables and it is intoxicating good like good whiskey !

Again I could have post a picture instead of writing all that.....

IMG_2354.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Amy sound so good in my rack. I'm reluctant to return it to Eric !!! It's using Psvane Classic Mkii KT88 now, courtesy of @BlueOceanBoy my best fiend. 👍

This gets louder than Destiny... meaning it's more powerfuuuuuuul.

IMG_2394.jpg

• Like 5

The 47uF power filtration caps are suitable for GZ34/5AR4 use but not for 5R4GY, 5U4G, U52 or 274B use. For the latter rectifiers you need the 4.7uF power filtration caps. The others are too high in value and will eventually lead to arcing of the rectifier. By the way tube rectifiers last for decades, if run at their right capacitance values.

With Eric's designs it's best to go with his own tastes. I have his prototype 12AU7/12AX7 preamp with phono stage. I can see he hacked the circuit topology a few times. He tried for SRPP first and then went to a single line design. It's a much better design to my ears. It sounds incredible and also a lot louder. 👍

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, xlr8or said:

The 47uF power filtration caps are suitable for GZ34/5AR4 use but not for 5R4GY, 5U4G, U52 or 274B use. For the latter rectifiers you need the 4.7uF power filtration caps. The others are too high in value and will eventually lead to arcing of the rectifier. By the way tube rectifiers last for decades, if run at their right capacitance values.

With Eric's designs it's best to go with his own tastes. I have his prototype 12AU7/12AX7 preamp with phono stage. I can see he hacked several times. He tried for SRPP design first and then went to a single line design. It's a much better design to my ears. It sounds incredible and also louder. 👍

Good of you to point that out. It is so common for tube rollers (rectifier in this case) to overlook the fact that not all rectifier tubes can handle filling up big buckets (so to speak) without working themselves to a premature death.

• Like 2