Jump to content

McChanson Valve Amp owner discussion thread...


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a recent pic of most of my lounge room system.   The McChanson 300B )Shuguang Black Treasures) is to the right [next to the Elekit (then 5881) SEPentode amp]. I am trying the 6FD7 dr

My McChanson

My little 12 W PP Triode on the left and the newer 300B SET on the right with the Sansui SR-929 TT above...Pioneer PD-7700 CDP below...  

Official photos. Eric still need to do soldering work underneath. I should have the amp by next weekend. ?

 

 

DSCN9081.JPG

DSCN9071.JPG

DSCN9062.JPG

  • Like 6
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Destiny is finally home. Eric has decided to formally use that name for this configuration of his 300b amp. Which is with interstage transformers and upgrade hardware - CMC tube sockets, RCA inputs and speakers out are all CMC grade. Double chokes. 

 

Amp has 2 days of burn in by Eric. Early days but initial listen with LCD4 and He1000se are simply amazing. With LCD4, it's ultra quiet with no music playing but with the lower impedance He1000se (35 ohms) there is a very, very low noise. I've feedback this to Eric to see if he can address it but it's a minor issue as the sound is simply stunning with He1000se... and also LCD4. Next I'll try LCD-3f and Arya.

 

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, muon* said:

Do you have speakers hooked up also?

 

Not yet. It's night time so I'll try speakers tomorrow. There's a speaker on/off switch and I've set to speakers off now.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool :thumb: although I'd be too paranoid in case the switch gets changed accidentally so I'd have them hooked up at all times.

 

But that's just me, I can make mistakes so I guard against them :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Genalex Gold Lion PX300 tubes have a blueish hue as seen by the camera's eye but it's not blue when looking at it. Looks and sound great. Thanks to all who recommended this brand of 300b tubes. Smooth, punchy and articulate. Tubes were bought new but Eric has been burning it in for a week on his demo 300b amps.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The headphones going through the pace with Destiny. It's going to be a long night.... 

 

L to R : HiFiMan He1000se, Audeze LCD4, Audeze LCD-3f, HiFiMan Arya. All planar magnetics.

The Gang of 4.jpg

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Destiny is finally home. Eric has decided to formally use that name for this configuration of his 300b amp. Which is with interstage transformers and upgrade hardware - CMC tube sockets, RCA inputs and speakers out are all CMC grade. Double chokes. 

 

Amp has 2 days of burn in by Eric. Early days but initial listen with LCD4 and He1000se are simply amazing. With LCD4, it's ultra quiet with no music playing but with the lower impedance He1000se (35 ohms) there is a very, very low noise. I've feedback this to Eric to see if he can address it but it's a minor issue as the sound is simply stunning with He1000se... and also LCD4. Next I'll try LCD-3f and Arya.

 

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Looks awesome, I also have one of is 300b amp. Sounds fantastic! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Destiny is finally home. Eric has decided to formally use that name for this configuration of his 300b amp. Which is with interstage transformers and upgrade hardware - CMC tube sockets, RCA inputs and speakers out are all CMC grade. Double chokes. 

 

Amp has 2 days of burn in by Eric. Early days but initial listen with LCD4 and He1000se are simply amazing. With LCD4, it's ultra quiet with no music playing but with the lower impedance He1000se (35 ohms) there is a very, very low noise. I've feedback this to Eric to see if he can address it but it's a minor issue as the sound is simply stunning with He1000se... and also LCD4. Next I'll try LCD-3f and Arya.

 

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Very...very nice, congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of 300B's...

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Yetiman said:

Looks fantastic Matt congrats bud.

hey Shane keep us updated on yours too :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, muon* said:

Do you have speakers hooked up also?

 

Hooked up my Axis LS88 today and I had @xtiva2000 with me. Could not believe how well Destiny drove those 4 ohms 92 dB floor standers. If I thought that the 300b amp drove headphones very well, I was awed when I heard what it did for speakers. Very happy with the amp.

 

IMG_2294.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

 

Hooked up my Axis LS88 today and I had @xtiva2000 with me. Could not believe how well Destiny drove those 4 ohms 92 dB floor standers. If I thought that the 300b amp drove headphones very well, I was awed when I heard what it did for speakers. Very happy with the amp.

 

IMG_2294.jpg

From that pic I can see just how serious a footprint it has! So good. Glad to hear it’s pleasing with the speakers too.

 

Hope that Eric’s amps continue to spread the appreciation of SE amps in this space. I enjoy experiencing the new purchases vicariously :D 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

From that pic I can see just how serious a footprint it has! 

 

My guesstimate is that the amp weigh at least 20 kgs. Feels that when I lifted it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

 

My guesstimate is that the amp weigh at least 20 kgs. Feels that when I lifted it. 

That’s a very good sign ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, xtiva2000 said:

hey Shane keep us updated on yours too :)

I will bro mines a copy cat of Matts but all Black,.🎼🎵🎼, It's my Destiny.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My own pictures of Destiny. The gold is getting deeper with each passing day and the sound is getting more golden.

 

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Yetiman said:

I will bro mines a copy cat of Matts but all Black,.🎼🎵🎼, It's my Destiny.

The destiny Junior  coming soon hehehe 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, xtiva2000 said:

The destiny Junior  coming soon hehehe 

Junior with single 300b? Would be prefect for headfi

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric told me there are two types of Destiny Amps pEart and timE and what one do I want anyone know what is what and what's better..

I told him same as Matts ( timE ) in everyway but all Black then he sent me an email with the two options same price.. LOL

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt will let you know more but after trying both amp, which were  nearly identic but timE had a tiny bit more sparkle...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yetiman said:

Eric told me there are two types of Destiny Amps pEart and timE and what one do I want anyone know what is what and what's better..

I told him same as Matts ( timE ) in everyway but all Black then he sent me an email with the two options same price.. LOL

 

He has told you one is Apple and the other Pear. My advice is to get Orange. Can't go wrong with orange.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, xtiva2000 said:

Matt will let you know more but after trying both amp, which were  nearly identic but timE had a tiny bit more sparkle...

 

 

It's the other way around. pEar which is the improved parafeed design is more linear, more sparkle while the timE is lusher and has a romantic tonality. If you compare the 2 side by side, you will know the difference but otherwise you won't know any better because both are lovely sounding. However having both 300b(s) side by side for 2 weeks, I have a preference for pEar (parafeed). 

 

So why did I go with timE? Not sure really. I wasn't disappointed with how Destiny sound that is for sure. On the contrary I love it. On the same token I might have love it more if I had the pEar design? Maybe... 

 

In any case, don't over think it. Both sound great and you will be very happy. McChanson's amps are good value for the great sound it produce driving your headphones or speakers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a new 300b amp by Eric and it's call Intoxication. Guarantee surreal, holographic and exotic tone. 

 

IMG_2306.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

***** - one of my favourite producers. Try their "Taketsuru" and "Coffey Malt". Great whiskies for the money and not stupid Yamazaki or Hibiki money. Taste better to me too. Also, try the ***** from the barrel. 500ml, so a little exy but super nice and so cute in the bottle.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

***** - one of my favourite producers. Try their "Taketsuru" and "Coffey Malt". Great whiskies for the money and not stupid Yamazaki or Hibiki money. Taste better to me too. Also, try the ***** from the barrel. 500ml, so a little exy but super nice and so cute in the bottle.

 

More expensive than rolling 300b tubes !!! 😆 You sir are a whisky connoisseur. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Odyssey said:

 

It's the other way around. pEar which is the improved parafeed design is more linear, more sparkle while the timE is lusher and has a romantic tonality. If you compare the 2 side by side, you will know the difference but otherwise you won't know any better because both are lovely sounding. However having both 300b(s) side by side for 2 weeks, I have a preference for pEar (parafeed). 

 

So why did I go with timE? Not sure really. I wasn't disappointed with how Destiny sound that is for sure. On the contrary I love it. On the same token I might have love it more if I had the pEar design? Maybe... 

 

In any case, don't over think it. Both sound great and you will be very happy. McChanson's amps are good value for the great sound it produce driving your headphones or speakers.

And the Silk Trannies like my amp is built with sound?!?...err...ummm...silkier!?! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

And the Silk Trannies like my amp is built with sound?!?...err...ummm...silkier!?! :) 

 

Oh you've the Silk trannies... maybe we should have a McChanson 300b amps sound off one day and compare pEarT, timEt and Silkt.

 

At the outset I almost took Eric's offer of using his marzE power and output transformers but he does not have matching silver chokes and IT transformers. This was supposed to be a silver built but I gave up on that idea and instead went with gold - and hence Destiny in Gold !!! 🙂

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

 

Oh you've the Silk trannies... maybe we should have a McChanson 300b amps sound off one day and compare pEarT, timEt and Silkt.

 

At the outset I almost took Eric's offer of using his marzE power and output transformers but he does not have matching silver chokes and IT transformers. This was supposed to be a silver built but I gave up on that idea and instead went with gold - and hence Destiny in Gold !!! 🙂

 

 

At the time of my 300B SET build...late last year...right smack dab in the middle of all that covid brouhaha and lockdown...(I shirley thought it would never get built!) Eric offered me the option of both pEarT and timEt builds which I declined (so many Emails exchanged on this point! :) ) ...I thought at the time, what the heck, why not go with the newest and latest...the SilkT!  Your suggestion @Odyssey of the sound off between all three trannies sounds a great idea (not sure if it is practicable given our locations!) but it certainly would give a working idea as to their musical outputs...strengths and weaknesses...

Then the issues of speaker choice/placement...cables both RCA/speaker/power...Bottle rolling...Dac choice...to sort through...

For now all I can say is I am enamoured of the airy and clean sound produced by my SilkT...all the way with 300B SETs... :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My timE has time tunnel visions and soundstage 🙄 If I had stumbled across McChanson's amps earlier I am very sure I would have gotten a KT88 and a parallel 6as7 amps from him as well because Destiny exceeds my expectations. 

 

I had spend lots on lower end tube amps since starting on headphone setups in 2015. Even the ALO Audio Studio Six at $6500 new does not make me forget my wife's birthday but Destiny does. This 300b amp is seriously good and bad.

 

If only Eric can drill with precision the 2 headphone outputs on the front panel without damaging it, I would have ask him to do that !

Edited by Odyssey
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

My timE has time tunnel visions and soundstage 🙄 If I had stumbled across McChanson's amps earlier I am very sure I would have gotten a KT88 and a parallel 6as7 amps from him as well because Destiny exceeds my expectations. 

 

I had spend lots on lower end tube amps since starting on headphone setups in 2015. Even the ALO Audio Studio Six at $6500 new does not make me forget my wife's birthday but Destiny does. This 300b amp is seriously good and bad.

 

If only Eric can drill with precision the 2 headphone outputs on the front panel without damaging it, I would have ask him to do that !

Eric can do anything related with tubes... :) ...just needs heaps of emails to organize it...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Eric can do anything related with tubes... :) ...just needs heaps of emails to organize it...

Still in email communication  with Eric.. its been more than 2 months since picking up the amp... :)

 

He has helped customize further after the pickup :)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

If only Eric can drill with precision the 2 headphone outputs on the front panel without damaging it, I would have ask him to do that !

Haha Matt, you are not alone, last time I added a balance pot, and guess what! Double holes haha, lucky I changed to a big knob to cover it 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

McChanson amps at home now. They are call Sword of Destiny.

 

 

IMG_2354.jpg

sword-of-destiny.jpg

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Destiny is better looking Amp mate gotta Love the Gold

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...