McChanson Valve Amp owner discussion thread...

What do you say.... should I ask Eric to remove the lettering on the gold front panel? Yes I opted for the gold instead of silver... for a change.

signal-2021-04-18-183320_003.jpeg

• Love 1
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a recent pic of most of my lounge room system.   The McChanson 300B )Shuguang Black Treasures) is to the right [next to the Elekit (then 5881) SEPentode amp]. I am trying the 6FD7 dr

My McChanson

My little 12 W PP Triode on the left and the newer 300B SET on the right with the Sansui SR-929 TT above...Pioneer PD-7700 CDP below...  

Just now, Odyssey said:

What do you say.... should I ask Eric to remove the lettering on the gold front panel? Yes I opted for the gold instead of silver... for a change.

signal-2021-04-18-183320_003.jpeg

Oh I do like that gold front panel!...I wish I had that option available when I ordered my bespoke 300B SET from Eric! :) 

Personal choice in regards to the front panel lettering...I do not have any on my 300B...and it makes no difference to me in audio function choice...

Visually no front panel lettering imo gives a nice clean uncluttered appearance...

What about the dials and power switch?!? Will they be sourced as gold or another colour?!?

5 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

What about the dials and power switch?!? Will they be sourced as gold or another colour?!?

They will be in gold as well. ?

• Love 1

Now Eric ask me if I want the irons painted in Satin semi gloss or gloss black. I feel like asking him to paint it gold lol.

31 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Now Eric ask me if I want the irons painted in Satin semi gloss or gloss black. I feel like asking him to paint it gold lol.

no.gif.e3618da713fca07d056b69208bdfc3f4.gif

• Haha 2

Eric has changed my driver tube to 6DN7/6EW7 and been testing 6EW7 today and a little disappointed with its soundstage.  Bass extension and treble detail, still was very good. Overall tonality or separation has not been affected much but soundstage width suffered .... in my opinion... 

Aesthetically it looks good with the socket converter but might have to give this one a miss, as genre I listen is 99% classical music...

Will now test 6DN7 for a day two and report back.

20210419_072403.thumb.jpg.ac1db56bd807d52e3b2611bca97dcac5.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Midget said:

My McChanson

7B4A36EC-3A89-4D53-84CF-89EACC55DE3F.jpeg

WOW looks great :) is this with Meze transformers?

Very nice looking @Midget !!! What color is the front plate? How long did you have this? It's gorgeous. This is with marzE transformers all the way.

Knobs are in ? and Eric ask, blue or red LED light above the power switch? What do you think? 

DSCN9039.JPG

Posted (edited)

With the gold face plate I would be tempted to go the blue LED...for the CCC effect...Cooler Colour Combo! :)

Edited by BLAH BLAH

May be ask Eric to take photos with red and blue led for you to decide...  should be easy to do.

• Like 1

Forget the red and blue and go for the green or orange. Do you want your listening room to become the red or blue light district of the town? ?

Edit: Also added orange. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, xlr8or said:

Forget the red and blue and go for the green or orange. Do you want your listening room to become the red or blue light district of the town? ?

Edit: Also added orange. ?

Oh yes the green/orange LED appeals as well...

Orange LED to compliment the gold front plate...

Green LED to match the envious eyes of onlookers! :)...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I actually prefer no led at all, just the tubes glow! Unfortunately Eric can't do that...

Go for Blue. You can tone the blue one right down so it is not blinding but you can easily see that is on. Since the blue led is clear when not powered up. With the other colors you can not tell, should sun light hit them, whether they are on or off.

Plus blue is neutral. It is not a stop and go thingy... ?

• Like 3

I stuck a blob of bluetac over the blue led on my phono stage. Blends right in with the silver face and emits the smallest of a glow... ?‍♂️

5 hours ago, dwbasement said:

I actually prefer no led at all, just the tubes glow! Unfortunately Eric can't do that...

Surely it can just be disabled 

4 minutes ago, Midget said:

Surely it can just be disabled 

Of course but I mean not having the led like not even the cutout.

• Like 1
On 20/04/2021 at 9:35 PM, Odyssey said:

Very nice looking @Midget !!! What color is the front plate? How long did you have this? It's gorgeous. This is with marzE transformers all the way.

The front plate is a sort of deep copper tone. I have had it since 2015 and you might find my review and initial impressions in the review section. This one is with the interstage transformers and a few other upgrades. I have tried a lot of amps since this one, but I keep coming back to it, because it just sounds so good. I was considering putting it up for sale, hence this recent photo, but got cold feet because I thought I might miss it too much. I have a Line Magnetic 300b now as well, which sounds equally as nice. This is a complement to Eric and his amp design.

A little trick for getting more from these amps, which I have shared before, is to use a preamp with a high pass filter and a sub out. Cutting out 80Hz and below before it reaches the McChanson just frees it up to be played at a higher volume, or to drive less than efficient speakers. I'm using an Oppo 105 for this duty.

Edited by Midget
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Of course but I mean not having the led like not even the cutout.

I've seen custom designs of his come up now and then. These are cases sourced privately before he builds. You could make whatever you like I suppose, but he would have to be comfortable with the design and the technicality around it. I proposed a certain case design but it was getting a little tricky and he thought it might just be too much for him. It might have been the thickness of the metal I can't remember. I appreciated his honesty. 

Oh, I have to say I must have around 300 emails back and forth with Eric. He's a great guy to deal with and it was a great experience having my first custom built amp with him. It sounds great, and also holds sentimental value. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Midget said:

I've seen custom designs of his come up now and then. These are cases sourced privately before he builds. You could make whatever you like I suppose, but he would have to be comfortable with the design and the technicality around it. I proposed a certain case design but it was getting a little tricky and he thought it might just be too much for him. It might have been the thickness of the metal I can't remember. I appreciated his honesty. 

Oh, I have to say I must have around 300 emails back and forth with Eric. He's a great guy to deal with and it was a great experience having my first custom built amp with him. It sounds great, and also holds sentimental value. 

Yes he did a few very unique custom built for different clients, I didn’t push because I am happy with what it is.

We become good friends since my first pre amp he built for me. And my current amp is still the same since 2013 except it went through a few upgrades and redesign...etc I have a few other tubes amp in between but there is nothing that made me to think about not keeping this one.

• Like 4

Dennis, in case you weren't aware, you need to 'push' the tube with Eric to get the 'pull' from the pair. ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Midget said:

The front plate is a sort of deep copper tone. I have had it since 2015 and you might find my review and initial impressions in the review section. This one is with the interstage transformers and a few other upgrades. I have tried a lot of amps since this one, but I keep coming back to it, because it just sounds so good. I was considering putting it up for sale, hence this recent photo, but got cold feet because I thought I might miss it too much. I have a Line Magnetic 300b now as well, which sounds equally as nice. This is a complement to Eric and his amp design.

A little trick for getting more from these amps, which I have shared before, is to use a preamp with a high pass filter and a sub out. Cutting out 80Hz and below before it reaches the McChanson just frees it up to be played at a higher volume, or to drive less than efficient speakers. I'm using an Oppo 105 for this duty.

Thanks for sharing. I had listen to Eric's demo 300b amps and that led me to this stage of having him build me a 300b amp. As many of you have shared, Eric is very communicative and is a joy to have him to build my amp. It's easy to like him and he has a sense of humor. ?

The latest update from him is on the layout of the top of the chassis - the placements of the parts. I had some input on this as I want it to orient east ! The rising sun ! So this is what we settle on.... there's my Genalex Gold Lion PX300b tubes delivered safely and singing well according to Eric. ? @xtiva2000 helped me order the headphone out parts - both Neutrik 1/4 inch and xlr 4-pin both to be set to 4 ohms.

DSCN9043.JPG

• Like 4
  • Love 2
On 21/04/2021 at 10:41 PM, dwbasement said:

Yes he did a few very unique custom built for different clients, I didn’t push because I am happy with what it is.

Those amps above looks great but there's also appeal with old school looks where the irons are exposed naked. I particularly like how yours turn out. Add a bit of dust accumulated over several months and it look even more authentic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Matt, I do like the old school look as well.

I do also like the first one with the Hashimoto trannies though.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the old school look as well...casts a glance over my right shoulder to see the lightly dusted black painted Silk OT's of my 300B...yup very nice and so is the sound and bottle glow that it produces...big, big fan...very happy!

Always intrigued by the amp customization/possibilities as shown by the pics above...great imagination...superb examples...makes me envious! :) 

20210423_090256.thumb.jpg.fbb66717ae4ad25485c329d9414db7ee.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BLAH BLAH said:

I'm a fan of the old school look as well...casts a glance over my right shoulder to see the lightly dusted black painted Silk OT's of my 300B...yup very nice and so is the sound and bottle glow that it produces...big, big fan...very happy!

Always intrigued by the amp customization/possibilities as shown by the pics above...great imagination...superb examples...makes me envious! :) 

Your 300b is great looking so no need to be envious. So you're using the Silk OTs. What rectifier is that? Love big bottles. ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dwbasement said:

I do also like the first one with the Hashimoto trannies though.

Hashimoto trannies

Mmm.....*drool* ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, muon* said:

Hashimoto trannies

Mmm.....*drool* ?

I think that amp cost about 6k 8 years ago.

The knobs are gold plated ?

Edited by dwbasement
13 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

I think that amp cost about 6k 8 years ago.

The knobs are gold plated ?

Sadly my KT88 / EL34 amp will cost 6.5k and it's pure silver. ?

• Haha 2