McChanson Valve Amp owner discussion thread...

I wouldn't use it. Instead I'll use Sittard 5AR4/GZ34, Mullard GZ34 f33 (from you Dennis), Mullard GZ32, Cossor 53KU.

Furthermore, Eric said that 274B, 5V4 can be used.

This is what he said..

As the amp is 300B DHT ( direct heated triode), so direct heated rectifier is OK !! and the new power transformer provides 3A for the rectifier filament current,  so almost all 5V rectifiers with standard pin layout are compatible. Of course, you may ask me first & that is good.

• Like 2
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a recent pic of most of my lounge room system.   The McChanson 300B )Shuguang Black Treasures) is to the right [next to the Elekit (then 5881) SEPentode amp]. I am trying the 6FD7 dr

My McChanson

My little 12 W PP Triode on the left and the newer 300B SET on the right with the Sansui SR-929 TT above...Pioneer PD-7700 CDP below...  

7 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I wouldn't use it. Instead I'll use Sittard 5AR4/GZ34, Mullard GZ34 f33 (from you Dennis), Mullard GZ32, Cossor 53KU.

This is what he said..

As the amp is 300B DHT ( direct heated triode), so direct heated rectifier is OK !! and the new power transformer provides 3A for the rectifier filament current,  so almost all 5V rectifiers with standard pin layout are compatible. Of course, you may ask me first & that is good.

Well eric can keep the 5z4p and give you back credit so you dont waste the tube.

I have some gz32 too if you want to try and some 6em7 as well haha

Oh just remember you also got a mullard 32 from me last time. You are all sorted Matt!

Just now, dwbasement said:

Well eric can keep the 5z4p and give you back credit so you dont waste the tube.

I have some gz32 too if you want to try and some 6em7 as well haha

Eric said the 5z4p is free and I wouldn't ask for credit on that. 

I bought a pair of Mullard GZ32 from you lol and they are still with me. On Wa22, it's a lovely tone. I will get a pair of 6EM7 from you later.... I would also be getting a pair of nice 300b tubes in about 6 months time. The stock Psvane 300b that I tested with Eric's demo 300b amp sounded very good. Not sure how much improvement WE300b or Takatsuki 300b would be ... diminishing returns for sure at those prices.

I think the stock 300n is ok but you should get better sound from some NOS ..  i am not a fan of the new 300b production.

May be @xlr8or can share some light here - the tube guru of all gurus ?

• Like 2

Well I'm all ears to hear what @xlr8or says. However I've to  buy NOS tubes for GEC KT77, KT88 and Tung Sol 6550. All heavy investment. NOS 300b unfortunately have to be deferred several months.  ?

Before recommending any 300B tube please share the B+ and recommended plate current for Eric's design. I'm assuming the bias is fixed.

35 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

This is what he said..

Just make sure the power filtration cap values that Eric fits to the amp do not exceed the maximum permissible filtration value for these rectifier types.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Before recommending any 300B tube please share the B+ and recommended plate current for Eric's design. I'm assuming the bias is fixed.

I do not know the B+ and recommended plate current of Eric's design yet... will have to ask him for that. I do know that bias is fixed but can be adjusted. 

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I do not know the B+ and recommended plate current of Eric's design yet... will have to ask him for that. I do know that bias is fixed but can be adjusted. 

Cool. Let me know the B+ then.

My 300b will look similar to this but with a slightly bigger chassis and with double chokes and 2 interstage transformers.

s-l1600 (15).jpg

s-l1600 (17).jpg

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 2

For..

5AR4/GZ34/GZ32 - 60uf

53KU - 16uf

5z4p - 4uf

Edit: @xlr8or might want to confirm the above :D

Edited by muon*

There’s fair talk of interstate transformers here so...

Any of the tube gurus know of some good el84 or kt88 circuits that use interstate transformers? 

Looking for something ‘more iron than glass’ like above, and in the vein of Sakuma San :) 

• Like 1

First thing to do is get rid of the psvane 300Bs and get some Gold Lions as a minimum.

A set of good transformers would cost as much as the whole amp. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Good coupling caps are better then cheap IT transformers.

Still.........enjoy the music.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

My 300b will look similar to this but with a slightly bigger chassis and with double chokes and 2 interstage transformers.

s-l1600 (15).jpg

s-l1600 (17).jpg

It will look just like mine Matt. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Ihearmusic said:

First thing to do is get rid of the psvane 300Bs and get some Gold Lions as a minimum.

A set of good transformers would cost as much as the whole amp. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Any recs on good transformers for such a task? Out of interest. It’s difficult trying to glean this kind of info from forum trawling but I still enjoy it... 

9 minutes ago, Ihearmusic said:

Not wanting to spend big on this 300b as I've already done that with my Swedish KT88 amp by opting for Sowter transformers that set me back 1200 euro. In any case, I've already heard Eric's stock 300b and it sounded pretty good to me.

Just now, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Taboo indeed ?

I have looked foolishly at that site a few times. Even more daringly, I’ve looked at buying them used (!). 

Thanks @xlr8or ?

Get them from Yahoo Aleado using Jauce as your proxy. Much much cheaper. ?

2 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Get them from Yahoo Aleado using Jauce as your proxy. Much much cheaper. ?

I’ve used Buyee heaps, so will check out Jauce thanks ?

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, muon* said:

For..

5AR4/GZ34/GZ32 - 60uf

53KU - 16uf

5z4p - 4uf

Edit: @xlr8or might want to confirm the above :D

They look right to me. Depending on which tube manual you look at the 5Z4 is sometimes listed as 8uF as well as 4uF. The GZ37 is listed as 4uF in place of the 53KU. The 274B is also 4uF. The 5U4G and U52 are also 4uF. ?

• Like 2

Can you also ask what the primary load impedance is on his OPTs? @xlr8or you're pushing the limit of Eric's boundaries here mate. ?

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

@xlr8or the B+ is about 350V,  idle current is set to 50mA.

Edit: Any cheap Chinese Shuguang/PS Vane standard non-exotic 300B's will be fine to use here. I personally like the Genalex PX300B as @Ihearmusic has also recommended. ?

Edit: No KR Audio's or EML's. Takatsuki TA-300's, yes, all the way.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Any of the tube gurus know of some good el84 or kt88 circuits that use interstate transformers? 

Looking for something ‘more iron than glass’ like above, and in the vein of Sakuma San :) 

KT88 PP amp circuit diagram using Tango NC-14's available at the following link:

http://www.lonica.org/documents/electronics/YT7890IE/2012-shishido-amplifier/en/body.htm

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Edit: Any cheap Chinese Shuguang/PS Vane standard non-exotic 300B's will be fine to use here. I personally like the Genalex PX300B as @Ihearmusic has also recommended. ?

Thanks. I saw that WE300b advert but I'm not ready for that now. At a later stage yes. I've tried Takatsuki TA-300 in a friend's WA5LE for 2 weeks. Like it for sure.

20180210_195110.jpg

• Like 2

Wow this thread is getting way too technical for me..... just started into Tibe amp journey....  got amp made by Eric with standard configuration.. no upgrades like Dennis or Matt..but still enjoying the amp... 

Now thanks @Odyssey got Brimar 6L6GA NOS tube. So far the best tube I have... 

20210416_223650.thumb.jpg.5a1473dd43ede50101a9b6e3531b71f5.jpg

20210416_223525.thumb.jpg.c7b78b97c0d101d176376525c2f318a3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Very sexy @xtiva2000 I must try your amp again that pair of power tubes. 

Let me know when you are back will take the amp to your home Matt :)

My beloved solid state amp is not getting used too much any more... :( still love the sound but it is missing this tube magic...

• Like 2
14 hours ago, xlr8or said:

Can you also ask what the primary load impedance is on his OPTs? @xlr8or you're pushing the limit of Eric's boundaries here mate. ?

As per Eric's gracious reply... he's such a gentleman. Always replying to my questions.

The primary load for the 300B can be 3.5K or 5K. 

The 300B amp you auditioned is 5K primary which may reduce output power slightly and improve the sound a little bit... actually people may not notice the difference....... Your amp will use this same 5K primary output as the auditioned amp. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Not wanting to spend big on this 300b as I've already done that with my Swedish KT88 amp by opting for Sowter transformers that set me back 1200 euro. In any case, I've already heard Eric's stock 300b and it sounded pretty good to me.

I had someone over with a MingDa MC300-A 300B for some listening. We swapped the PSVAVE for a set of Gold Lions and there was no going back after.....

I could have put a set of KR 300B in for him to compare against the Gold Lions but since a pair of the KR cost as much as the MingDa, there was no point.

I run KR 300B in my amp and the difference it made is phenomenal. No going back from here.?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

As per Eric's gracious reply... he's such a gentleman. Always replying to my questions.

The primary load for the 300B can be 3.5K or 5K. 

The 300B amp you auditioned is 5K primary which may reduce output power slightly and improve the sound a little bit... actually people may not notice the difference....... Your amp will use this same 5K primary output as the auditioned amp. 

My OPTs are 5K as well. For less distortion you get a watt or so less power but since we are worshipers of tube sound and not caring much for distortion and power, either 3.5K or 5K will be fine. The decision  is made by a bias switch inside our brain.?

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, xlr8or said:

I am in agreement with you @xlr8or in regards to the choice of 300B bottles...

I tube...bottle rolled...(clink, clink... :) ) the original 300B's that Eric forwarded me with my Amp with some Electro-Harmonix that I quickly soon got tired of even though I had played them from new only for a few hours. I think from memory they had an unappealing hard edge in sound...maybe I didn't do them justice enough by playing them both longer allowing for a proper burn in?!? Nevertheless after doing some informative net surfing I quickly sought out some Gold Lions 300B's instead... Genalex Gold Lion PX300B Valves Melbourne Australia - The Valve Store ...and am very happy with their sound coming from my 300B SET...spaciousness is the term that quickly comes to mind amongst others!

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, xlr8or said:

I personally like the Genalex PX300B

3 hours ago, Ihearmusic said:

I had someone over with a MingDa MC300-A 300B for some listening. We swapped the PSVAVE for a set of Gold Lions and there was no going back after.....

I could have put a set of KR 300B in for him to compare against the Gold Lions but since a pair of the KR cost as much as the MingDa, there was no point.

I run KR 300B in my amp and the difference it made is phenomenal. No going back from here.?

55 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

I am in agreement with you @xlr8or in regards to the choice of 300B bottles...

I tube...bottle rolled...(clink, clink... :) ) the original 300B's that Eric forwarded me with my Amp with some Electro-Harmonix that I quickly soon got tired of even though I had played them from new only for a few hours. I think from memory they had an unappealing hard edge in sound...maybe I didn't do them justice enough by playing them both longer allowing for a proper burn in?!? Nevertheless after doing some informative net surfing I quickly sought out some Gold Lions 300B's instead... Genalex Gold Lion PX300B Valves Melbourne Australia - The Valve Store ...and am very happy with their sound coming from my 300B SET...spaciousness is the term that quickly comes to mind amongst others!

Well if the 3 of you recommend Genalex Gold Lion 300b and this review also recommends it - Triode Roundup: Seven “Common Man” 300B Tubes Compared | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

then it must be good. ?

So I've just placed an order with Genalex PX300B Melbourne Australia (tubeaudio.com.au). I'll start off with McChanson's 300b amp with the Gold Lion. 

Incidentally I also have pairs of Gold Lion KT88, KT77 and 12au7 for my other Swedish custom amp.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Ihearmusic said:

I have KR Enterprise/Audio 300B balloon shaped, 300BXLS and VV32B toobs. I find them all to run particular well with 300B amps that run at higher B+ (400-450V) and higher plate current (100mA). Their specs indicate they should be run at these higher power dissipation values as average operating conditions when compared to 'standard' 300B specs such as the Genalex PX300B that has the same values specified as the absolute maximum operating conditions. Some of these specs also indicate the preferred primary output impedance for the tube, which is a bonus. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

I have found that certain 300B tubes do not like high B+. They are prone to arcing due to their construction of the anode, grid and cathode interfacing so to speak.

• Like 1

Yes, fully agree RE the red plating and arcing. Several TJ 300B/n mesh plates and Shuguang ST shaped 300B/a's showed symptoms of this not operating anywhere near their maximum limits. You've got to be really conservative with dialling in the bias to be well less than 60mA when the B+ is anywhere near 400v. Fortunately, Eric's designs are tuned in using 350v for B+ and 50mA allowing the Chinese variety to be used safely.

For peace of mind I checked with New Sensor when the PX300B was first introduced into the market. I was advised back then by one of their chief senior engineers that the tube can operate safely running at 400v and 60mA, which I can confirm has been the case ever since running tbe PX300B for a few years now without any issues. With the Chinese tubes in there you had to be like a hawk. Any intermittent red plating and I was up in a flash to turn the power off hoping to save the tube. This was a most uncomfortable listening experience watching for the tube plates to turn red. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1
On 16/04/2021 at 8:18 PM, crtexcnndrm99 said:

I'm no guru but my 2 cents worth is that the more difficult an output valve is to drive, WRT peak drive volts and Miller capacitance, the more likely an IT will be better.  An EL84 is real easy to drive, the amps are usually quite cheap and so using an IT will blow the budget for no improvement.  EL34 and KT88 need more drive volts but still significantly less than a 300B.

The price of the valve comes into it as well.  With 300B's being much more exxy the cost of an IT is less as a % of total amp cost.

So you never see IT used with EL84 and I can't remember seeing an EL34 or KT88 amp with them.

But...go look at Lynn Olson's Karna amp for an example of lots of transformers. Push-pull 300B, 3 stages all transformer coupled.

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/triode2.html

• Thanks 2
On 17/04/2021 at 11:28 PM, xlr8or said:

With the Chinese tubes in there you had to be like a hawk. Any intermittent red plating and I was up in a flash to turn the power off hoping to save the tube. This was a most uncomfortable listening experience watching for the tube plates to turn red. 

There is a medical condition called 'orgasm-induced headache'--it can be quite severe.

This 300B experience you mention sounds remarkably similar in the listening leadup...!

• Haha 2