McChanson Valve Amp Owners Thread

9 hours ago, Gryffles said:

@Odyssey see if you can try the Mullard CV1947 😊

That's a EL37 equivalent and I've no doubt it can be used and it will sound lovely. When I get 'Odyssey' (a custom amp that will be built for me in Sweden) I will try Mullard EL37 and a whole range of other tubes.

I also have Telefunken EL12 spez and EL39. These require adapters but the EL12 spez is really special. Many have claimed the EL39 sounded great so I bought a brand new pair - just waiting to use it.

I have GEC KT66 and Philip Miniwatt 6CA7 double 'O' getters but they are in my Canberra accommodation.  What a bummer. 🙂

There's also the Sylvania 807 (picture below) which I have with me here but I left the adapters in Canberra !

IMG_2035.jpg

• Love 2

Hey @Odyssey those Sylvania 807 bottles look absolutely magnificent!

Remind me in size of both the 274B's and 300B's...make for glorious glowing...viewing...listening?!? :) 

Where/when are you planning to put them in for a listen and look see?!?

Edit: adapters for the 807?!?! What exactly are they and how do they work?!?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Hey @Odyssey those Sylvania 807 bottles look absolutely magnificent!

Remind me in size of both the 274B's and 300B's...make for glorious glowing...viewing...listening?!? :) 

Where/when are you planning to put them in for a listen and look see?!?

Edit: adapters for the 807?!?! What exactly are they and how do they work?!?

When am I planning to put them in is a good question as I'm returning Eric's amp on Sat morning and the adapters are in Canberra. This is where you buy the adapters...

2pc Gold plated FU7 807 TO 6L6 Tube converter adapter | eBay

Make sure with your builder that your amp can use the 807 but I've tried it on my Elekit TU-8200 and it's a glorious tone.

I have 2 pairs bought NOS NIB. A Radiotron 807 and a Sylvania 807. These sound as good if not better than the 6L6.

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

• Love 2

These are the EL39 that I've bought but haven't tested in any amps yet. My Swedish amp builder told me they are ok to be used in the custom amp I'm getting. I'm surprised that I can still get them NOS and NIB from - La Radiotechnique EL39 NOS Valve Tubes | eBay

Adapters are 1pc Gold plated 4654K EL39 TO EL34 tube converter adapter | eBay

IMG_2089.jpg

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

However these Telefunken EL12 spez are the ones I'm most excited about. They are absolutely gorgeous sounding in the Elekit TU-8200. I think we need another thread to talk about tube amps and tubes in general as we seem to be going away from solely McChanson's amps.

These EL12 spez will again be featured prominently in my forthcoming Swedish amp to be named 'Odyssey' 🙂

IMG_1986.jpg

Screenshot_20210505-101643.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

The 8200 strikes me as a pretty sweet amp to be able to roll such a variety of tubes like that 👍👍

It is but it's also my Waterloo because that set me on the course to get Odyssey.... 

• Like 3

More sexy tubes to try are the STC 5B/254M's and STC 5B/255M's with tube adapters.

Edit: @Odyssey how about these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Matched-Pair-807-Used-Black-Plate-Cossor-UK-Valve-Tubes-AVS4-/383711651147

Second edit: For the 5B/254M's these 2 with double rectangular getters would make a lovely pair:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STC-5B-254M-CV428-Valve-Tube-Used-good-quality-British-/333807020210

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5B-254M-CV428-STC-NOS-BOXED-CHEAPEST-ON-EBAY-BY-FAR-/333952204711

KB and KJ date codes = February 1955 and September 1955.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if you are all aware but there were at least 3 different versions of the back plates made from 1955 to 1960. Version 1 had a single top getter only. Version 2 had 2 top D getters. Version 3 had three getters (single top D getter and 2 side D getters). I will post some reference photos showing the 3 different versions. I luv the version 1 very very much. 😍

Edit: Here are some photos of version 3:

Screenshot_20210511-214029_eBay.jpg

20210511_214409.jpg

Version 1:

-tung_sol_6550_kt88_solid_black_plates_vacuum_tube_very_strong_3_available-1_36.jpg

20210511_215254.jpg

To be continued ...

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, xlr8or said:

I'm not sure if you are all aware but there were at least 3 different versions of the back plates made from 1955 to 1960. Version 1 had a single top getter only. Version 2 had 2 top D getters. Version 3 had three getters (single top D getter and 2 side D getters).

As with EL34, there are variations. With EL34, there are single O getter, double O getters and double D getters. I have the Philip Miniwatt double O getters.

I don’t think I will have all the different versions. Just one pair of NOS Tung Sol 6550 will do. To compare with it’s British counterpart the GEC KT88.

These bigger tubes captivates me more than the 6as7g / 6080.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, xlr8or said:

I'm not sure if you are all aware but there were at least 3 different versions of the back plates made from 1955 to 1960. Version 1 had a single top getter only. Version 2 had 2 top D getters. Version 3 had three getters (single top D getter and 2 side D getters). I will post some reference photos showing the 3 different versions. I luv the version 1 very very much.

Did you have the triple D getters? Those are very rare according to my guru supplier. I just have confirmation from him that the pair I'm getting have a O getter on top and 2 side O getters.

• Like 1

Yes - I have all versions of the Tung-Sol 6550's including the ones you have, which are in fact Version 4 black plates introduced in 1960 for about 9 months before they transferred the exact same internal construction design across to solid grey plates until the end of 1962. My favourites though are Version 1's from the mid 1950's with the single square getter at the top. Regardless of which version you have they all sound totally awesome right through to the 3 hole perforated grey plate version made from 1963 and onwards.

Here is one of my many PP power amps fitted with a quad set from 1966. 🙏

IMAG0659.jpg

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 3
  • Love 2