McChanson Valve Amp Owners Thread

Cool :thumb: although I'd be too paranoid in case the switch gets changed accidentally so I'd have them hooked up at all times.

But that's just me, I can make mistakes so I guard against them :)

Genalex Gold Lion PX300 tubes have a blueish hue as seen by the camera's eye but it's not blue when looking at it. Looks and sound great. Thanks to all who recommended this brand of 300b tubes. Smooth, punchy and articulate. Tubes were bought new but Eric has been burning it in for a week on his demo 300b amps.

• Like 3

The headphones going through the pace with Destiny. It's going to be a long night.... 

L to R : HiFiMan He1000se, Audeze LCD4, Audeze LCD-3f, HiFiMan Arya. All planar magnetics.

The Gang of 4.jpg

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Destiny is finally home. Eric has decided to formally use that name for this configuration of his 300b amp. Which is with interstage transformers and upgrade hardware - CMC tube sockets, RCA inputs and speakers out are all CMC grade. Double chokes. 

Amp has 2 days of burn in by Eric. Early days but initial listen with LCD4 and He1000se are simply amazing. With LCD4, it's ultra quiet with no music playing but with the lower impedance He1000se (35 ohms) there is a very, very low noise. I've feedback this to Eric to see if he can address it but it's a minor issue as the sound is simply stunning with He1000se... and also LCD4. Next I'll try LCD-3f and Arya.

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Looks awesome, I also have one of is 300b amp. Sounds fantastic! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Destiny is finally home. Eric has decided to formally use that name for this configuration of his 300b amp. Which is with interstage transformers and upgrade hardware - CMC tube sockets, RCA inputs and speakers out are all CMC grade. Double chokes. 

Amp has 2 days of burn in by Eric. Early days but initial listen with LCD4 and He1000se are simply amazing. With LCD4, it's ultra quiet with no music playing but with the lower impedance He1000se (35 ohms) there is a very, very low noise. I've feedback this to Eric to see if he can address it but it's a minor issue as the sound is simply stunning with He1000se... and also LCD4. Next I'll try LCD-3f and Arya.

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Very...very nice, congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of 300B's...

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, muon* said:

Do you have speakers hooked up also?

Hooked up my Axis LS88 today and I had @xtiva2000 with me. Could not believe how well Destiny drove those 4 ohms 92 dB floor standers. If I thought that the 300b amp drove headphones very well, I was awed when I heard what it did for speakers. Very happy with the amp.

IMG_2294.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Hooked up my Axis LS88 today and I had @xtiva2000 with me. Could not believe how well Destiny drove those 4 ohms 92 dB floor standers. If I thought that the 300b amp drove headphones very well, I was awed when I heard what it did for speakers. Very happy with the amp.

IMG_2294.jpg

From that pic I can see just how serious a footprint it has! So good. Glad to hear it’s pleasing with the speakers too.

Hope that Eric’s amps continue to spread the appreciation of SE amps in this space. I enjoy experiencing the new purchases vicariously :D 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

From that pic I can see just how serious a footprint it has! 

My guesstimate is that the amp weigh at least 20 kgs. Feels that when I lifted it. 

• Like 2

Eric told me there are two types of Destiny Amps pEart and timE and what one do I want anyone know what is what and what's better..

I told him same as Matts ( timE ) in everyway but all Black then he sent me an email with the two options same price.. LOL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Yetiman said:

Eric told me there are two types of Destiny Amps pEart and timE and what one do I want anyone know what is what and what's better..

I told him same as Matts ( timE ) in everyway but all Black then he sent me an email with the two options same price.. LOL

He has told you one is Apple and the other Pear. My advice is to get Orange. Can't go wrong with orange.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, xtiva2000 said:

Matt will let you know more but after trying both amp, which were  nearly identic but timE had a tiny bit more sparkle...

It's the other way around. pEar which is the improved parafeed design is more linear, more sparkle while the timE is lusher and has a romantic tonality. If you compare the 2 side by side, you will know the difference but otherwise you won't know any better because both are lovely sounding. However having both 300b(s) side by side for 2 weeks, I have a preference for pEar (parafeed). 

So why did I go with timE? Not sure really. I wasn't disappointed with how Destiny sound that is for sure. On the contrary I love it. On the same token I might have love it more if I had the pEar design? Maybe... 

In any case, don't over think it. Both sound great and you will be very happy. McChanson's amps are good value for the great sound it produce driving your headphones or speakers.

• Like 1

***** - one of my favourite producers. Try their "Taketsuru" and "Coffey Malt". Great whiskies for the money and not stupid Yamazaki or Hibiki money. Taste better to me too. Also, try the ***** from the barrel. 500ml, so a little exy but super nice and so cute in the bottle.

• Like 2