The Lord of the Rings UHD Blu-ray

Which set will you grab?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Cevolution said:

By using the 'HIM' gift card to pay for them, which are 15% off on special at Coles this week (I bought $500 of these gift cards last Wednesday at 7am when my local Coles opened... They were all gone by 8am.)

Well done.

I'll stick with online order I made, couldn't buy them local if I wanted to.

Also ordered 4k movies from Amazon yesterday. Lots to watch.

Got an email just before, unable to fulfil LOTR order, no mention of Hobbit.

Reckon mid December delivery 

Probably have to wait as going to JB now  it won't be on special.

I ordered before they put hold on ordering. 

Looks like they are shipping Hobbit.

Edited by SGS

Same here. I got an email saying my order was waiting for courier pickup. Then a couple hours later got the email saying LOTR was out of stock, so assume Hobbit is coming tomorrow and LOTR mid Dec.

1 hour ago, HomerJ said:

Same here. I got an email saying my order was waiting for courier pickup. Then a couple hours later got the email saying LOTR was out of stock, so assume Hobbit is coming tomorrow and LOTR mid Dec.

My Hobbit is now coming seperate, has been picked up by couriers, guess yours will as well.

My local store had none as regional not receiving till next week, but then it would be full price. Will have to wait for order, hopefully mid December. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2020 at 9:15 AM, Cevolution said:

Just picked up The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies on 4K at JB... Not bad for $58.90, and $52.95:

IMG20201130091343.jpg

IMG20201130091325.jpg

I picked up my replacement The Two Towers extended edition disc 2 from JB HiFi this afternoon... The blue disc art error in the original 4K batch has been corrected by the local distributor, and they have supplied some replacement discs with the correct red disc art to JB, for customers that buy The Lord of the Rings 4K sets:

IMG20201226135140.jpg

• Like 1

Seeing as I don't have a 4K TV or player (yet), I will stick with my 1080p Blu-Ray extended edition box set of Lord Of The Rings. I was lucky enough to pick up a 2nd hand copy at Mr V quite a while ago for a reasonable price. All the discs and the box container are in excellent condition, just a tiny bit of 'fraying' on the cardboard wrap-around (which has probably helped protect the box). Contains 15 discs (although the extras are DVD, with just the main feature discs being Blu-Ray). And, no, I still haven't played all the extras discs.

Even if or when I get a 4K TV and player, I don't think I would get the 4K version. Just not sure how many copies I really want of this.

I have standard Blu-Ray copies of The Hobbit (not box set or extended editions). If I came across a 2nd copy box set extended edition at a reasonable price, then perhaps I would pick that up too, but wouldn't go out of my way for it. I couldn't get into The Hobbit the same way as  I did for Lord Of The Rings. Perhaps because I had already read the LOTR novels years before, and had that memory to compare the movies to. Have never read The Hobbit though.

7 hours ago, elisix_ said:

Talking about an absolute video perfectionist! Am glad I saw mine before looking at this review; otherwise I could have spent my time looking for the minor problems instead of thoroughly enjoying the excellent presentation.  

Ralph Potts of AVS Forum is one reviewer that I read regularly. I often use his film rating to gauge whether I buy a movie. He gave 4K LOTR a perfect score.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-lord-of-the-rings-motion-picture-trilogy-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review.3174550/

So you trust his perfect score considering the issues outlined in the video?

I’m not suggesting it’s not worth buying, the reviewer himself explains why it likely cannot be improved upon, but a perfect score? 

12 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

So you trust his perfect score considering the issues outlined in the video?

I’m not suggesting it’s not worth buying, the reviewer himself explains why it likely cannot be improved upon, but a perfect score? 

It is not a matter of absolute trust; Ralph Potts reviews have mainly worked for me.  No problems if you disagree...

I did see a few scenes where I thought details could have been better but they did not prevent me from thoroughly enjoying the 4K LOTR.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am half way through the Extended version of The Fellowship of the Ring. I have to say that while the additional scenes are interesting and informative, it is quite hard going. The pace of the movie is compromised a bit for no real gain in impact. I can see why they cut so much out for the Theatrical version (as well as to make money on the release of the Extended...) 

Having said that, the visuals are spectacular. Also, often overlooked, is the exceptional soundtrack and surround effects. It really does make me want to get that extra pair of speakers and go to 7.1. Maybe another time and another house....

9 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

I am half way through the Extended version of The Fellowship of the Ring. I have to say that while the additional scenes are interesting and informative, it is quite hard going. The pace of the movie is compromised a bit for no real gain in impact. I can see why they cut so much out for the Theatrical version (as well as to make money on the release of the Extended...) 

For people who have read the books, the Extended version is IT!  It filled in the details that readers were expecting.  For me, I enjoyed the Extended version even more than what I saw in the theatre. I did watch every LOTR release in the theatre and enjoyed it a lot. 

Cannot say the same for the Hobbit, which was a pure money making exercise, saw them once on BD.

• Like 1