Which ECC83 and ECC82 tubes

To the SNA Tube gurus,  a quick question regarding ECC83 and ECC82 tubes.  What ones do you go for..?

Destination of these will be a Luxman EQ500

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=6

The EQ500 comes with JJ Electronica as stock tubes, but I would like to understand if there are better options to put into the unit 

pb4.jpg

On 11/10/2020 at 10:52 AM, scuzzii said:

To the SNA Tube gurus,  a quick question regarding ECC83 and ECC82 tubes.  What ones do you go for..?

Destination of these will be a Luxman EQ500

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=6

The EQ500 comes with JJ Electronica as stock tubes, but I would like to understand if there are better options to put into the unit 

There are many dozens of excellent NOS (New Old Stock) options from late 1940s –mid 1960s that I am confident will outperform all current production tubes especially 12AU7 – it just comes down to your budget.

Edited by Aperalim
typo
  • Like 4

@MoveD has the exact same unit and started his rolling journey a few months ago. He might be able to chime in and share his tube rolling experiences.

Be careful of height clearance in the EQ500 when considering tube substitutes of increased height and tube adapters converting the tube from one type to another - they won't fit.

Try getting yourself a GEC U709 for the EZ81/6CA4 rectifier and for low noise options Rochester Brimar or Mitcham Mullard vintage box plates for the 2 x 12AX7 and 1 x 12AU7 positions. You could also try the Raytheon 5751 windmill getters for the 12AX7 positions.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 4

12AX7 Amperex Holland OEM labels, 1960s vintage, $180.00 per matched pair

Or top end Brimar UK military CV4035 “flying lead” 9 pin modified 12AX7 $300.00 per pair

12AU7 Mullard UK made OEM label $70.00 USD.

Above was the advice I got from Brent Jesse of audio tubes when I had asked him a similar question. Insured Shipping to Australia will be 40 Usd 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

I was bitten by the tube rolling bug a little while back which now sees me with 40+ different pairs of 12AX7’s, about 12 12AU7’s and 8 quads of 12AT7’s. 

Hahah yes quite a bug that....yes me too but I ended up with over 600 NOS 12AU7s!?!?!

Time to say farewell to most of them now though...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

Yes. Very easy to get carried away! 

Carried away, washed down the river and plunge over the waterfall : )

But no better way to learn what is the best 12AU7 in my equipment than try to listen to almost every type of 12AU7 ever made I suppose...

• Like 2

Just now, Aperalim said:

Carried away, washed down the river and plunge over the waterfall : )

But no better way to learn what is the best 12AU7 in my equipment than try to listen to almost every type of 12AU7 ever made I suppose...

That’s the end destination I suppose ?

So, what were the stand outs in your system? 

8 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

Hahah yes quite a bug that....yes me too but I ended up with over 600 NOS 12AU7s!?!?!

Time to say farewell to most of them now though...

You do know that with obsessions, 'letting go of them' is cathartic?  I am willing to be the bearer of your 'cross' for no charge! ?

Just putting in my 2 cents worth; 

• JJ tubes are extremely good value for money. Don’t let their modest price fool you. It’s not just my opinion but other professional amp manufactures in the industry.
  • ”83s” will have more gain with a brightness on top and “82s” more drive and smoother more relaxed sound. 
  • you have to try them in your system to see which is best.
  • also try a 12AT7 for something outside of the two. I have two low power tube amps where these sound the best. I did try others. 
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

So, what were the stand outs in your system? 

Ahah so many wonderful 12AU7 tubes but some so ridiculously rare only a few ever found in years hunting and unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps)  some of them proved the best performers like these 5 rarities:

Thomson-CSF black plate, folded foil getter, 6189-12AU7WA (Saint Egreve factory) c1966 France. 

NEC black welded plate, vegetable peeler getter, 12AU7 (Tokyo factory) 1950 Japan.

La RadioTechnique grey plate, mesh getter, RT 12AU7S (Suresne factory) 1956 France.

Siemens welded plate, large D-getter,  ECC82 (Copenhagen factory) 1953 Denmark.

Tungsram welded plate, folded foil getter,  ECC82 (Radium, Tilburg factory ) 1952 Netherlands.

Cheers

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

Hard to give a definitive answer here without really knowing your taste and system sonics. 
I was bitten by the tube rolling bug a little while back which now sees me with 40+ different pairs of 12AX7’s, about 12 12AU7’s and 8 quads of 12AT7’s. 
A very worthwhile and fun exercise! 

hi,

what i want to avoid is anything that will make the system bright.  So anything that introduces glare or harshness i don't want in the system.

I suppose i assumed the stock tubes would have an element of glare, maybe that's not correct.  Just been my experience with other tube based component with the stock tubes coming from China.

So something that opens up the soundstage, brings lots of headroom, a nice balance of details and smoothness (not too woolly / bloomy).

10 hours ago, scuzzii said:

hi,

what i want to avoid is anything that will make the system bright.  So anything that introduces glare or harshness i don't want in the system.

I suppose i assumed the stock tubes would have an element of glare, maybe that's not correct.  Just been my experience with other tube based component with the stock tubes coming from China.

So something that opens up the soundstage, brings lots of headroom, a nice balance of details and smoothness (not too woolly / bloomy).

Will PM you.

• Like 1

thanks everyone.

I have secured some NEC ECC82s (as per list above).

For ECC83, the main ones that come up are

Telefunken

Mullard 

Brimar

Sound signature wise, the Mullards are probably the warmest of the three, with the TF being more neutral of the three..?

Edited by scuzzii

39 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

thanks everyone.

I have secured some NEC ECC82s (as per list above).

For ECC83, the main ones that come up are

Telefunken

Mullard 

Brimar

Sound signature wise, the Mullards are probably the warmest of the three, with the TF being more neutral of the three..?

Another one to consider is Tesla E83CC. not the JJ production but the old original Tesla

• Like 1