Yamaha A3080 - no HDMI output

HI guys, after some problem solving on my AVR

My daughter fired the system up yesterday to watch some movies....everything is working except nothing passing through from the AVR to the projector.

As would be the case, I am away at work...

Trying to problem solve with phone and video chat.

I used the system last Monday night, which worked fine...just shut everything down.

If the setup button is pressed on the Yammy, the setup menu shows up on the menu. Navigate around no issues.

Exit out of the menu, there is no HDMI out displayed on the AVR display. This shows when in the menu.

I thought my daughter may have pressed the HDMI out button on the remote and turned off the HDMI output, but this isnt the case.

I thought maybe it could be a cable issue between the 4k player and AVR, changed that - same result.

Got a computer monitor plugged in to the AVR HDMI output to test that - same result.

It isnt the HDMI from the AVR to the Projector, as it displays the setup menu no probs.

Really scratching my head....

Could there be another button on the remote that she could have accidentally pressed that will kill the output from the AVR?

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers
J

Guest thathifiguy

I would check to make sure no HDMI-CEC link is on between the source device, the receiver and the display.

Also, what are the output setting you have set and does your HDMI cable from the AVR to the projector support it?

I'm having a similar issue integrating a 3080 into my system.

When I go direct from Oppo to the projector, 4K displays no probs, and audio only from the AVR, however when I try to pass through the AVR getting nothing at the projector, however get audio from the AVR .

1080 signals are passing through with no issue from apple TV and STB.

I changed the HDCP setting to 1.4 and everything works but signal is downgraded to 1080P so not much help.

Plan to visit the dealer later today so will post if I find out anything useful.

Note have upgrade the firmware to version 1.8

Edited by mttel

4 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

I would check to make sure no HDMI-CEC link is on between the source device, the receiver and the display.

Also, what are the output setting you have set and does your HDMI cable from the AVR to the projector support it?

I cant see how this would have been enabled since the last use? I havent had any issues with it previously.

The HDMI cable is rated 4k from the AVR to projector. Again, has been used without issue prior to this issue.

The AVR is outputting at all resolutions

Guest thathifiguy
3 minutes ago, jazzman1974 said:

I cant see how this would have been enabled since the last use? I havent had any issues with it previously.

The HDMI cable is rated 4k from the AVR to projector. Again, has been used without issue prior to this issue.

The AVR is outputting at all resolutions

Do all the HDMI inputs on the AVR support full bandwidth signal?

4 hours ago, mttel said:

I'm having a similar issue integrating a 3080 into my system.

When I go direct from Oppo to the projector, 4K displays no probs, and audio only from the AVR, however when I try to pass through the AVR getting nothing at the projector, however get audio from the AVR .

1080 signals are passing through with no issue from apple TV and STB.

I changed the HDCP setting to 1.4 and everything works but signal is downgraded to 1080P so not much help.

Plan to visit the dealer later today so will post if I find out anything useful.

Note have upgrade the firmware to version 1.8

Thanks mttel, mine is also upgraded to latest firmware.

As previously stated, I havent had any issues with any output from the AVR to the projector 1080/4k.

Just up an threw a wobbly...

Let me know how you go with yours. 

Is the cable from your AVR to projector 4 k rated? How long is the cable? I have a 15m optic fiber cable from cable chick to my projector

12 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Do all the HDMI inputs on the AVR support full bandwidth signal?

as far as I am aware, yes.

I have my Panny in HDMI 1, and Sheild Pro in HDMI 2.

Nothing from either of them. Plug them into a separate monitor, bingo!

Guest thathifiguy

Very strange.

It does sound to me like some kind of bandwidth issue though, the fact the menu screen displays as well as 1080P content.

Update, spoke with the dealer and they are as perplexed as I am. They are going to follow up with an installer and see if he has any ideas. Also suggested contacting Yamaha.

Spoke to Yamaha this afternoon and they confirmed that the firmware 1.8 is the latest and that it should be HDCP 2.3. Suggested checking if there was any firmware updates for player (Oppo so no) and projector (Sony - trying to determine). Confirmed that as the forced change of HDCP to 1.4 passes signal through there is should be not hardware problems with the AVR.

Suggested that if all fails then try a factory reset.

Will follow up with Sony tomorrow.

Edited by mttel

Spoke to Sony and the software on the project or is up to date albeit a year old, so no cigar there.

Tried a different 4K display, TV, and got the same result. AVR will pass 1080P no probs including the Yamaha menu/home screen but not 4K.

Oppo direct to display (TV or Projector) works with no issue.

Did a reset of the AVR and went thorough the process of setting everything up again but still no cigar, still can't get a 4k signal passed through.

Also noted that :

- on startup the Yamaha menu will display

- activate the 4k source and the handshake appears to break

- nothing but shutting the whole lot off and restarting on a different input on the AVR (one of the 1080P pas throughs) will allow even a 1080P signal to be displayed ie if I try to play a UHD disk and the link is broken the Yamaha menus will not display on any input even the ones that worked on 1080P previously.

On the TV it indicates that the issue is "weak or no signal"

So for the time being will set up Oppo output 1 direct to projector input 1 and output 2 audio to AVR and the AVR output to projector input 2 of 1080P content. Not ideal plus didn't actually need a new Yamaha AVR for that configuration but the sound field and dynamics are better for movies than my NAD and at least can watch stuff.

Will continue to follow up with Yamaha and dealer.

I've only ever had one issue with 4K resolution and our RX-A3080. The issue relates to the 4k resolution from the HDMI output on the Radeon RX 580 8GB in my (Mid 2012) Mac Pro. Sometimes 4K resolution from the output from the Radeon RX 580 8 GB just doesn't pass through the RX-A3080. If I turned the RX-A3080 off, and then back on it will resolve the issue. Turning off the 4K display can also resolve the issue.

However, I have never had an issue with 4K output through the RX-A3080 from our Apple TV (4K), Telstra TV (4K) or Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu Ray Player. So I think the issue with the 4k resolution from the HDMI output on the Radeon RX 580 8GB is just something specific to that device. You could try turning off your RX-A3080 while leaving the source and display device powered on. It works for me the rare times I want to output 4K resolution from the HDMI output on the Radeon RX 580 8GB in my Mac Pro. The 5 metre HDMI cable between Mac Pro and RX-A3080 isn't 4K certified, and that could be my issue as I purchased it years ago when I was only running 1080p.

Edited by bizzibee

Thanks @bizzibee will give that a try. Out of curiosity what firmware do you have?

Spoke with Yamaha again and they suggested two changes to the Advanced menu options:

1, Monitor Check - change to Skip

2..4k mode - change to mode 2

They also suggested trying an alternative 4K source so will drag the kids Xbox into the theatre room and see if any of that works.

Edited by mttel

So did some more trouble shooting this afternoon.

Tried an alternative source - Xbox. Direct to TV no issues 4K @60Hz so higher than UHD disc.

Into AVR still not video pass through.

Thought stuff it I'll try a different cable, dragged out an old EzyHD 3m from the cupboard. check Xbox to TV, all good.

Re organised cables for xBox to AVR and then AVR to TV, vola all good.

So Gods knows why but the 9m active which works fine between the Source and display (TV or Projector), will not play nice with the AVR but the 4 year old passive does. 

Go Figure.

Edited by mttel

Recently had similar issues with no video.

It was the HDMI cable. Went and purchased new ones which were 24GB plus and it has been rock solid since. I think the old ones were 14GB.

Reading the manuals 18GB is minimum for 4K.

I bought the 15m Avencore fiber optic cable through Cable Chick.

specs state its capable of up to 32Gbps.

Unless something has happened to the cable, is it more than able to carry the 4k signal.

It was working fine 5 days earlier....very frustrating 

Mine was a 9m active from Selby which is good for 18Gbps. My issue is the cable sort of, it will do 4K from source to display, just won’t through the AVR. My thoughts are that it is to do with the HDCP somehow.
Selby have been great to deal with, sent an email and got a phone call 2 hours later at 7pm in the evening. 

Explained the troubleshooting and they had no issues returning and recommend a fibre as the replacement. Only issue is stock is out and not back until Nov.

well, an update for my system...

I rang the Yamaha tech number this morning. explained the situation, got me to try a couple of things which didn't help.

last suggestion was to unplug all the components from the power and leave them for a couple of minutes.

plug them back in, fire them up and bingo! video thru to the projector!! 

whatever wobbly fit it had, unplugging the power fixed it! hope that doesn't happen again!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...