Panasonic 65” Oled or Sony 75” LED........please help.

Ok, so my budget is $4k and I’ve narrowed my choices to 2 TVs that fit inside that budget. I sit 4m from the TV, but can move closer if I want to indulge alone in a 4K flick with the help of a side chair. It will be used in a living room that’s never overly bright - no direct sun. During the evenings I usually have a floor lamp on, so a touch of bias lighting, after all it’s a living room, so I don’t sit in the dark. I watch mostly SD free to air ABC News, Food Network, ALL streaming platforms which I will upgrade to 4K versions, and Optus sport. I’ll be moving on from a 50” Pioneer Kuro.

The TVs I have shortlisted are:

Sony X9500H 75” 

Panasonic GZ2000 65”

Both are class leading. I know I should go with the larger considering my sitting distance. However the Panasonic was a class leading Oled in 2019, gets to 1000 nits, is rare as hens teeth now that Panasonic don’t ship TVs to Australia anymore, still comes with a 12 month warranty and is brand new, and is over 50% RRP. So my heart tells me the Panasonic, but my brain tells me the Sony.

Any help, advice or opinions would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Glen

Edited by G_goodwin

I have an LG 65" OLED - it's stunning. Just be aware that it reflects light from windows more than LED TVs.  Not a problem for me, as we have shutters, but something to consider.

Edited by seaninbrisbane
  • Like 1

I have a full array backlit Sony 75inch LCD TV.   I came from a Pioneer 50 inch Kuro and could not be happier with the 75 inch.     never once have I wished for an OLED and certainly could not go to a smaller 65 inch screen now in the lounge room.

SD is OK with these large screens and HD and Ultra HD are really good.

Edited by metal beat

My summary would be:    PQ matters most.....🙂

PS..........Panasonic didn't make Kuro's!!!!.........LOL

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 2
26 minutes ago, JohnL said:

My summary would be:    PQ matters most.....🙂

PS..........Panasonic didn't make Kuro's!!!!.........LOL

Whoops..........meant Pioneer. Pardon my blasphemy!

now edited.

Edited by G_goodwin
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I have a full array backlit Sony 75inch LCD TV.   I came from a Pioneer 50 inch Kuro and could not be happier with the 75 inch.     never once have I wished for an OLED and certainly could not go to a smaller 65 inch screen now in the lounge room.

SD is OK with these large screens and HD and Ultra HD are really good.

How far away do you sit @metal beat?

3 minutes ago, metal beat said:

around 3.9m    I could probably sit closer :)

cheers

For you to enjoy the benefits of a 65" OLED you'll need to sit within 2.5m or even less...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, petetherock said:

For you to enjoy the benefits of a 65" OLED you'll need to sit within 2.5m or even less...

I enjoy my 75 inch FALD Sony fine @ 3.9m thanks.

zero interest in a 65 inch OLED.

Edited by metal beat

I have a Sony 9500H 75” that I bought because I couldn’t justify the 77” OLED price. This has replaced a last gen 60” Panasonic plasma.

I was ready for a drop in picture quality from the plasma but I have been pleasantly surprised. The Sony is just better in every way.

I’d say go for the bigger Sony rather than the Pana.

• Like 3

I chose 75 inch Panasonic Led than 65 inch oled a while ago and no regrets. I also have a drop down projector screen and sit about 4 meters from both . Have calibrated tv myself using HCFR and Xrite display one color meter. Throws a stunning picture and reckon It's pretty close to Oled. Size wins in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Go for the bigger screen.
I was in the same boat. either 65 OLED or 75 LED. Its a huge difference in size and never regretted my decision. Once its in the home, any potential difference in picture quality will be forgotten. Not that i think you will be disappointed! 

I have the 75 and a 120" projector in the same room. about 4m from both. no issues with viewing distance from my eyes. 

• Like 1
On 11/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, G_goodwin said:

Is there anyone out there with a 65” who sits a similar distance to me? Wondering how you feel?

I had the same issue when I bought my OLED, couldn't afford the larger OLED, I went for the better picture quality. I sit about the same distance (3.8m) from a 65" Sony OLED, it's an awesome picture the OLED.

I understand what everyone else has said, but for me the 65" was a massive upgrade from my old 50" plasma both in size and picture quality, and I never think about upgrading to a larger size. 

• Like 2

For watching sport I think people would recommend the Sony for motion handling.

Interesting you can get hold of a new Panasonic from somewhere.

If you don't buy it, I might.

Good luck, which ever way you go.

• Like 1

My thoughts have slightly altered. I can now score a 77” Sony A9g for $5999. A $2k step up from my budget, but I’m thinking it might be the go with Interest for 48months  free financing and a 3 yr warranty from Sony. 
The Panasonic still seems like the bargain, and I just wish my 4m distance would do it justice, cause I would step all over that deal. I’ve checked, they’re all brand new, not seconds, refurbished or b stock. The Sony, is from Sony and the Panasonic is from Harvey Norman (who I theoretically despise), and comes with a 12 month warranty.

Edited by G_goodwin
  • Like 1

@G_goodwin I bought mine from a Sony store as well, they matched price, had free delivery and as you mentioned had an extra years warranty. better than dealing with my local JB HiFi.

Go for the 77" 🙂

• Like 1

Go with the bigger screen. Currently using a 65 inch screen at 2.5m viewing distance and planning to upgrade to 75 inch.

• Like 2

I posted elsewhere that I managed to get a new Sony Master Series 77” OLED A9G for $4999  from Costco.. It looks like it was a one time thing because pricing elsewhere is still over $8k.

Anyway, this thing provides stunning image quality , contrast to full black , amazing colour and has Sony’s best electronics to manage scaling, contrast etc   

I was very impressed with Sony’s better LED models - and still am. This A9G just pushes the boundaries out further 

77” sounds like way to go if budget allows.  I sit 3.5m from 65” Sony 4K.  When I bought it I thought I would never need larger...but of course down the track a bit and I am now considering upgrading to a 75”.   

Muddying the waters here, and I hear what everyone else is saying.

But I think you should tweak your list and possibly even expand it. (I know...)

First, the Pana GZ2000 is probably overkill. The GZ1000 is probably a better representation of the 65" OLED space (and so is the LG equivalent). These should be your OLED price benchmarks.

Second, if you're prepared to trade OLEDness for size, you should probably look at the larger Samsung QLEDs. They are very well regarded and go up into the 80s sizewise. You may still prefer the look of the Sony, but i think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least consider them.

I would have loved a 75" OLED. Ended up with a 65 Pana.

Edited by Mr_Gimlet
20 hours ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Muddying the waters here, and I hear what everyone else is saying.

But I think you should tweak your list and possibly even expand it. (I know...)

First, the Pana GZ2000 is probably overkill. The GZ1000 is probably a better representation of the 65" OLED space (and so is the LG equivalent). These should be your OLED price benchmarks.

Second, if you're prepared to trade OLEDness for size, you should probably look at the larger Samsung QLEDs. They are very well regarded and go up into the 80s sizewise. You may still prefer the look of the Sony, but i think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least consider them.

I would have loved a 75" OLED. Ended up with a 65 Pana.

I hear what you’re saying, but Panasonic has sold out everywhere, but I’ve managed to find a new GZ2000 on close out with full warranty.  Again, my main concern with that is sitting distance. If I was closer the Panasonic would be a no brainer over a Sony, but Panasonic don’t do a 77”. Unfortunately I’m not a big fan of Samsung screens. I find them over saturated and the lack of Dolby vision is a concern for me. So, it looks like the A9G 77” will be the go.

On 13/10/2020 at 8:43 PM, TP1 said:

I posted elsewhere that I managed to get a new Sony Master Series 77” OLED A9G for $4999  from Costco.. It looks like it was a one time thing because pricing elsewhere is still over $8k.

Anyway, this thing provides stunning image quality , contrast to full black , amazing colour and has Sony’s best electronics to manage scaling, contrast etc   

I was very impressed with Sony’s better LED models - and still am. This A9G just pushes the boundaries out further 

May I ask @TP1 what kind of room is it in? My living room is not bright, but it’s not pitch black either. I usually have some biased lighting on. How is it with handling regular free to air content? How far away are you sitting? Cheers!

The Sony range of tvs are quite nice in my opinion.  The OLED is amazing.

The main players include usual suspects, LG, Samsung and Panasonic. The others all tend to follow. 

regards

Michael 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:25 PM, G_goodwin said:

but my brain tells me the Sony.

Stick with the brain.  At 4m the 75" is the better choice.  75" OLED will be quite a bit over your budget.

The 75" Sony 950H is a fine tv with a good Android operating system that will cater for all your streaming apps without need for other boxes (AppleTV+ support pending).

The Sony 900H has been primarily released for gamers in that it will support HDMI 2.1 with a future firmware update.   HDMI 2.1 is useless unless you're playing video games using the latest (yet to be released) games and consoles.

According to reviews the 900H is slightly inferior to the 950H in picture quality.

Good luck

Edited by Mpr_65
4 hours ago, G_goodwin said:

May I ask @TP1 what kind of room is it in? My living room is not bright, but it’s not pitch black either. I usually have some biased lighting on. How is it with handling regular free to air content? How far away are you sitting? Cheers!

It is in the family room about 4 metres from seating position. The room can be quite brightly lit  but it doesn't present a problem. If you are worried about light output from this TV compared to LED, you needn't worry.   Tweaking a couple of adjustments such as peak luminance , contrast enhancer etc will see quite a jump in overall light output and brightness, so much so I had to wind it back  again.

Everything played on the TV looks first class. Much of FTA TV is pretty low quality stuff  but the Sony still presents it well. Of course the quality jumps exponentially when it is fed high quality video streams.  I noticed streaming video quality from a computer to the TV via wifi looked outstanding too.