Dynavector Power amplifier

craigl

Item: Dynavector power amplifier 
Price Range:Negotiable depending on model, age and condition
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info:

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

20 minutes ago, Herbyj said:

https://www.jdaudioonline.com.au/

I think they are designed by a guy in Sydney.

They sell them via this site but don't seem to have the power amp in stock at the moment.

I'd make contact with this online store.

Herby

Jonathan who owns JD Audio designs and manufactures Dynavector (power amps and pre amps, not the cartridges).  They also imports Shahinian which he has been importing since the early 1980's.  The amps he designed he builds because the Shahinians are notoriously super difficult to drive.

LPG

Yes, LPG the Shahinian's are meant to be very hard to drive but can sound fantastic if suitably driven.

In USA a lot of Shahinian owners used Bedini amps (long out of business) which could drive a difficult load.

I believe the Dynavector amp design is a similar design to the Bedini and can handle a difficult load.

Herby

7 hours ago, Herbyj said:

Yes, LPG the Shahinian's are meant to be very hard to drive but can sound fantastic if suitably driven.

In USA a lot of Shahinian owners used Bedini amps (long out of business) which could drive a difficult load.

I believe the Dynavector amp design is a similar design to the Bedini and can handle a difficult load.

Herby

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a victim of Covid and as a result I'm pretty sure that the price of a new Dynavector amplifier would be beyond my reach.

Prior to Covid I did manage (luckily) to source a pair of shahinian Obelisks which I may not be getting the best out of with my current amp.

So, If anyone has a second hand Dynavector amp that this wish to part with I'm your man.?

2 minutes ago, craigl said:

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a victim of Covid and as a result I'm pretty sure that the price of a new Dynavector amplifier would be beyond my reach.

Prior to Covid I did manage (luckily) to source a pair of shahinian Obelisks which I may not be getting the best out of with my current amp.

So, If anyone has a second hand Dynavector amp that this wish to part with I'm your man.?

Give Jonathon a call.  you may be surprised what dyna amps he has lying around.

8 hours ago, Herbyj said:

Herby

Haha!  Couldn't agree more.  They are super hard to drive.  I have mint updated Obelisks in one of my systems and also had a pair of Arcs that i recently moved on.  Large class A Krell is also a very nice match. LPG

59 minutes ago, craigl said:

I'm driving mine with Hypex Ncore 400 mono blocks. 

The bottom end is great , mid range a bit recessed and top end a bit sharp.

They're designed to be recessed in the mids.  Its one of the things that give them they're impressive dynamic range.  It also increases the spatiality and creates more of a mid hall perspective for the orchestral music they were designed for.  They also use cheap drivers and have a difficult load for the amplifier.  Along with the bass driver pushing a stiff transmission line full of air and a heavy passive radiator it makes the speaker a absolute ball breaker.

They are super sensitive to room placement - way more than a regular speaker.  The multiple cheap midrange and tweeter drivers hitting the room boundaries often add aggression.  And the Ncore amps aren't always the most relaxed on top (though great on grip and the bass).  This can all be a massive recipe for a titanic disaster sonically.  If your able to get them set up so they aren't fighting the room and can get them away from room boundaries or have diffusion to lengthen the arrival time to your ears of the higher frequencies or block some of it with absorption they can sound absolutely staggering.  Those multiple cheap drivers suddenly give you incredible headroom as they all work together so the distortion can be super low, all the drivers mean that the crash of cymbals, percussion, woodwinds, sax etc can have incredible weigh and power which sometimes makes you feel like your listening to a real event.

Dick Shahinian used to recommend keeping the castors on (which for me is terrible for the sound) and recommended just cheap cd players or sources but I've found they are super sensitive to the source and driving electronics and the room.  Way more than most speakers.  These speakers are NOT FORGIVING.  But get it right and you have a speaker which is a modest foot print but has a sound more in keeping with a massive speaker system.

On most of the forums where people have been playing with these speakers for years, there aren't very many who have been happy with NCore or other class D amps.

Send me a pm if you want to talk more about Shahinian.

LPG

• Like 1

• 6 months later...