Output in Receiver going to both sources

Hey Folks

The Setup

1) Yamaha RX-V3085 Receiver

2) HDMI Out 1 (ARC) - Sony TV

3) HDMI Out 2 - Sony Projector

4) HDMI IN AV2 - Apple TV

All controlled by a Logitech Harmony Remote.. 

Now when I am playing something via Apple TV on Projector.. it seems to flicker and drop video and audio.. then comes back audio first and then video.. happens every few min.. 

What I realised was that if I turn on my TV as well .. then this does not happen.. The TV keeps saying no HDMI input.. but is on. If I turn if off the above again starts up.

I did also see once that the output was going to both TV and Projector and dual display (mirror) was happening.. Then I had turned the TV off.. 

It's a new setup so i probably have it configured it wrong. How do I stop this dual display happening or the receiver trying to goto TV and then falling back (flicker on / off)

Just a short video on what happens on the receiver on the flicker

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twcokoorjtmlips/IMG_1128.MOV?dl=0

Edited by LostIdentity

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Your TV is leaving its HDMI port powered on. Try turning off CEC/HDMI control in the TV. Also set the TV into its most ECO setting. Not sure if this will help - let us know.

Turned off Bravia Sync.. didn't happen for first 5-6 min.. then started again to happen every few min.. but the TV is definitely off.. turned it on and it had normal FTA channel showing.. so no mirror.. 

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not the ideal solution, but try turning the TV off at the wall.

Hmm... that seems to be working and holding atm.. but obviously not the ideal solution.. 

Not sure what the fix is.. remove it from ARC port of both TV and receiver.. or some other TV setting perhaps.. 

Guest Old Man Rubber

My bet is a bad HDMI cable.  How long is the cable run to your projector and what kind of condition is the cable in?  Obviously a bit hard to swap out a 20m cable willy nilly (especially if it's installed in the walls) but one way to test it is to gently wobble the receiver end of the cable going to the projector to see if it has a weak/broken connection at the plug (where most of them fail).  The HDMI cable break can sometimes be affected by expanding as the receiver heats up.

I have had some luck in getting a slightly dodgy, long HDMI cable working reliably by putting in a powered HDMI splitter and there are dedicated (and quite cheap) products aimed at boosting a HDMI signal for long cable runs.

1 hour ago, LostIdentity said:

Hmm... that seems to be working and holding atm.. but obviously not the ideal solution.. 

Not sure what the fix is.. remove it from ARC port of both TV and receiver.. or some other TV setting perhaps.. 

Were you able to find any ECO settings in the TV? These will often power down the HDMI ports when set correctly. Other option is to use a HDMI switch (one that has IR remote).

52 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

My bet is a bad HDMI cable.  How long is the cable run to your projector and what kind of condition is the cable in?  Obviously a bit hard to swap out a 20m cable willy nilly (especially if it's installed in the walls) but one way to test it is to gently wobble the receiver end of the cable going to the projector to see if it has a weak/broken connection at the plug (where most of them fail).  The HDMI cable break can sometimes be affected by expanding as the receiver heats up.

I have had some luck in getting a slightly dodgy, long HDMI cable working reliably by putting in a powered HDMI splitter and there are dedicated (and quite cheap) products aimed at boosting a HDMI signal for long cable runs.

I doubt it's a HDMI cable issue when switching the TV off fixes it.

1 hour ago, Old Man Rubber said:

My bet is a bad HDMI cable

New cable branded one fed through the wall.. was working fine

22 minutes ago, Quark said:

Were you able to find any ECO settings in the TV?

Under power i can only see the following settings

Power Saving - Off (Current Setting), Low, High

Idle TV standby - Off, 1h, 2h, 4h, 24h (current setting)

Edited by LostIdentity

29 minutes ago, LostIdentity said:

New cable branded one fed through the wall.. was working fine

Under power i can only see the following settings

Power Saving - Off (Current Setting), Low, High

Idle TV standby - Off, 1h, 2h, 4h, 24h (current setting)

Try setting Power Saving to High.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

You might need to put a HDMI switch on the connection to the TV and select a non-connected port when using the projector.

Sorry what does that mean? is there a product you can advise and how to connect to various points?

Is this a Bravia issue? 

I am also thinking worst case put a smart plug on the TV power which is turned off when projector is turned on?

7 minutes ago, LostIdentity said:

Sorry what does that mean? is there a product you can advise and how to connect to various points?

Is this a Bravia issue? 

I am also thinking worst case put a smart plug on the TV power which is turned off when projector is turned on?

You would need to check with a reputable supplier like EzyHD for a suitable switch.

It's a common issue where stupid electronics manufacturers leave HDMI input and/or output ports powered up all of the time and causes havoc when two or more displays are connected.

A smart plug is a good alternative. If the TV is an OLED, make sure it's left powered at the wall overnight so it can run panel compensation to adjust for sub-pixel wear.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so i've been thinking

We still want to watch FTA on TV and Apple TV etc on Projector

If I put Projector on HDMI1 (ARC) and TV on HDMI2 that should solve the problem? 

Only thing is that for TV audio I will put TV speakers and won't come out from the surround system? 

I can put a set top box (recommendations?) for another TV input which goes to projector screen?

2 hours ago, LostIdentity said:

Ok so i've been thinking

If I put Projector on HDMI1 (ARC) and TV on HDMI2 that should solve the problem? 

Only thing is that for TV audio I will put TV speakers and won't come out from the surround system? 

I can put a set top box (recommendations?) for another TV input which goes to projector screen?

You could try that and take optical from the TV to the receiver. Although with AVRs sometimes there is lag. 

Edited by DrSK

2 hours ago, LostIdentity said:

Ok so i've been thinking

Probably not, but worth a try.

Thanks.. So

1. Switch HDMI around with ARC as projector output and non ARC as TV?
  2. Connect TV to receiver via an optical cable like https://www.amazon.com.au/FosPower-3-0M-10FT-CL3-Rated/dp/B00T6OVQYU/ or any other brand recommended? Need the 2-3m length 

Still trying to avoid this path actually but seems inevitable :(

Edited by LostIdentity