Wagner kit speaker review

Al.M

I recently acquired a used pair of Wagner MTM standmounts that are about 10 years old and were selling on eBay as kits for about $1200 a pair I believe.

Always curious what these sounded like and have to say they are extremely good with great micro detail, good mids, imaging and punchy bass using good parts like the Peerless  HDS tweeter now taken on by Scanspeak rebadged D2608/913000 unit and commonly used world class sounding by the likes of Lenehan and Hulgich speakers and others, twin 5 inch Peerless HDS poly vinyl cone midbass woofers, air core inductor and poly capacitor crossovers. Decent ported cabinets with tweeter time alignment.

Sound quality wise I would rate them as good as or close to Kef Ls50, Jamo Concert 8, Lenehans and Dynaudio. Any way some pics below.

D05E2F4C-2C6D-47FE-967C-E894701063E4.jpeg

2BD12B67-9FD5-476D-97B1-8D9DA00AF163.jpeg

95B5E1CE-0FC9-40EF-BDF9-D089568BDBC7.jpeg

01C1831B-FBA4-45A5-B405-8E1816D2B10D.jpeg

E50C15F8-6297-4BE9-A932-BFED46DAE70F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• 3 months later...

Are you still liking them?

I have been researching these and am thinking of getting the ribbon 2 ways. It seems they were are all designed by http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au/ over 10 years ago for Wes and they still seem like incredible bang for the buck. 

Check out the FR curve and off axis for the ones you got here and here, pretty good stuff!

I literally emailed Russell yesterday asking for more info about the “Artisan” versions on his website and apparently prices now start at $6800 for the ribbon 2 way. Afraid to ask why (there are multiple different prices listed on the website and none are that high) but I’d assume upgraded crossover with top end components and better cabinets? Probably still worth it given his obvious expertise but far out of my budget and it makes those kits seem like even better value.

Happy I stumbled on this post as there is very little feedback on these kits out there.

Good score!

Edited by mmi
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mmi said:

Are you still liking them?

I have been researching these and am thinking of getting the ribbon 2 ways. It seems they were are all designed by http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au/ over 10 years ago for Wes and they still seem like incredible bang for the buck. 

Check out the FR curve and off axis for the ones you got here and here, pretty good stuff!

I literally emailed Russell yesterday asking for more info about the “Artisan” versions on his website and apparently prices now start at $6800 for the ribbon 2 way. Afraid to ask why (there are multiple different prices listed on the website and none are that high) but I’d assume upgraded crossover with top end components and better cabinets? Probably still worth it given his obvious expertise but far out of my budget and it makes those kits seem like even better value.

Happy I stumbled on this post as there is very little feedback on these kits out there.

Good score!

Yes I’m still enjoying them, nothing short of amazing. My ones are older versions with the same famous Peerless HDS tweeter now taken on by Scanspeak and coated paper or poly cone Peerless midbass woofers so I can’t say if the latest ones with Seas Nextel paper cones and Fountek or similar looking ribbon tweeters sound as good. They certainly look the part with possibly better drivers. Knowing how good the well proven Peerless/Scanspeak dome tweeter is I’d be reluctant to try the ribbon unit in case it didn’t retain the same sweet result.

The bass in them is really deep and full and the rest all good (Treble detail, imaging, voice and midrange) and there are no obvious flaws in the sound like peaks, honks and trumped  up bass.

They do well on all types of amps like 35w tube, 60w Ice amps, solid state and not hard to drive.

Edited by Al.M

9 hours ago, Al.M said:

Yes I’m still enjoying them, nothing short of amazing. My ones are older versions with the same famous Peerless HDS tweeter now taken on by Scanspeak and coated paper or poly cone Peerless midbass woofers so I can’t say if the latest ones with Seas Nextel paper cones and Fountek or similar looking ribbon tweeters sound as good. They certainly look the part with possibly better drivers. Knowing how good the well proven Peerless/Scanspeak dome tweeter is I’d be reluctant to try the ribbon unit in case it didn’t retain the same sweet result.

Cool good to hear.

I believe Russell Storey of SSS has had a hand in designing all the drivers used in these kits, including the ribbons, based on scraps of info I have been able to put together. Eg see below for the Peerless 810921 (will need to search in the ScanSpeak catalogue to see the ref to 810921 and SSS).

http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au/stone/peerless_speaker_data_and_application.htm

http://www.wescomponents.com/speakers/ScanSpeak.2010.NP.pdf

Also detailed info on the crossover:

https://www.wagneronline.com.au/attachments/Audio-Speakers-PA/Crossovers/XON250-V2.pdf

Edited by mmi

It’s well known that the Peerless HDS tweeter and Scanspeak are the same when the companies merged. It might be they still have tweeter stock badged as Peerless. The appearance is identical and you can also find google discussions. It was Peerless first ever world class tweeter and good enough for Scanspeak to take it on with no design changes.

• 2 months later...

Great value and it’s not that much for delivery through Wagner 
The Fountek JP 3.0 ribbon tweeter had a nominal 14W and a max 40watts and response is all the way to 40khz  There are precautions in red that the device must have a DC blocker (cap) in series or damage to the ribbon or amp can occur.  The caps inline in serious will determined what the highs will sound like: (edgy that’s fatiguing or silky smooth), micro details in the highs wouldn’t be a problem as the ribbon is thin in a magnetic field,   Would love to compare this at $400 a pair for tweeters  to the standard Peerless tweeter that’s timed aligned at $320 a pair, the difference between the to is $1000 to 1300 depending on the cabinet choices.
Edited: surprisingly the package with the Fountek JP 3.0 ribbon is actually a DB up in sensitivity.

Edited by Addicted to music