A long time between changes

Many SNAers know this room and have heard it. After many years of being settled, this week I ushered in a new pair of speakers, so thought it might be a good time to start a new thread. 

The current setup is, in summary:

Avantgarde Trio Luxury Edition 26 speakers with bass horns

Dartzeel NHB-18NS pre amp mkii with phono stage

Dartzeel NHB-108 model 2 power amp

Air Force Two turntable with Acoustical Systems Axiom tonearm and Lyra Atlas 

Antipodes DX into Accuphase DC-17 fed by Roon

Sound treated room

Fancy cables and power management, dedicated circuits etc

Next steps are to upgrade the digital front end and the wife has an interior designer choosing new furniture to replace the hodge podge of handmedown stuff that I've had in here and which, while comfortable, doesn't really keep up with the electronics style wise! 

L1010927.jpg

L1010925.jpg

L1010930.jpg

L1010934.jpg

L1010929.jpg

L1010935.jpg

L1010937.jpg

L1010938.jpg

L1010928.jpg

• Like 25
  • Love 1

@rob Maybe slightly. Theoretically they should due to the horn placement (even if the upright configuration isn't as architecturally interesting). In any event, I wouldn't say that imaging is the Trios' strong suit. The bass is definitely better integrated with the bass horns instead of the conventional subs. More to follow once I've got a few dozen more hours on them and have been through some of the old favourite tracks. 

?

• Like 3

Nice upgrade !

I can't imagine the room staying like that for long after some serious use.

Far too many Guitar cases etc missing from the right corner of the room.

I can't imagine you not having them in a climate controlled room, so I'm guessing they'll eventually make their way back.

You might prefer the more homely ambience of having the guitars there, you know what I mean.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 11:19 AM, alistairm said:

Many SNAers know this room and have heard it. After many years of being settled, this week I ushered in a new pair of speakers, so thought it might be a good time to start a new thread. 

The current setup is, in summary:

Avantgarde Trio Luxury Edition 26 speakers with bass horns

L1010925.jpg

L1010934.jpg

Very nice, Alistair!  :thumb:

I presume the 'bass horns' you mentioned are the 2 massive things at the back of the 1st pic?  (More detail in the 2nd pic.)

Are these "horn subs" - ie. go down to 20Hz?  Or are they lower woofers than the biggest horns on the trios?

And, given they are so much further away from your ears than the Trios (which AIUI are carefully time-aligned) ... do you use any DSP to delay the rios wrt the bass horns?

Andy

@andyr

Those huge things are the horn loaded subs mate. At this stage I'm not sure if they'll need to be moved, but if required I'll likely physically tune the room and move them around, rather than go for DSP. As the room was previously set up by an acoustic engineer, including treatments and Helmholtz resonators, time will tell what needs to be shifted about. I'm expecting a fair bit, but that will wait until they're run in. Out of the box there aren't any obvious gremlins (presumably due to existing treatments for the old Trios), but we will what the waterfalls tell us in due course! 

@Tweaky Most of the guitars are already back mate! I need to cull that herd a little though. 

8 minutes ago, alistairm said:

@andyr

Those huge things are the horn loaded subs mate. At this stage I'm not sure if they'll need to be moved, but if required I'll likely physically tune the room and move them around, rather than go for DSP. As the room was previously set up by an acoustic engineer, including treatments and Helmholtz resonators, time will tell what needs to be shifted about. I'm expecting a fair bit, but that will wait until they're run in. Out of the box there aren't any obvious gremlins (presumably due to existing treatments for the old Trios), but we will what the waterfalls tell us in due course! 

There's 'DSP for room treatment ' ... and there's 'DSP for delay of one driver, compared to another ', Alistair.

I believe the drivers in the Trios themselves will have been careful aligned to make the 3 drivers the same distance from your ears.  But if the horn subs are a different distance away from your ears ... then, unfortunately, at the sub-to-woofer XO frequency, you will be getting the same frequency arriving at your ears from the 2 drivers, at different times.  (This has got nothing to do with 'room treatment'.)

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, andyr said:

then, unfortunately, at the sub-to-woofer XO frequency, you will be getting the same frequency arriving at your ears from the 2 drivers, at different times.

Yes, but in terms of number of wavelengths, the difference is typically small (eg. a fraction of 1 WL), unless the XO frequency is very high... or if the separation is a large number of meters 

Although AFAIUI, the subwoofer amplifier has DSP.

Far out, i was doing some research on the Trio for a post a years back i used to remember and thought this post was an old one until i saw the date.

Fantastic, i have something similar but would absolutely love to  be sitting in one of those chairs right now. 

And there are Dartzeels with their eyes and pleasure knobs to also play with................

You should have got them Trios in green, i'm envious.

Edited by ENIGMA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the changes to the digital front end begin. 

Out with the Accuphase DC37 and in with the APL Hi-FI DSD-SR MK2.  You know you're onto a good thing when the wife wanders in during setup, asks "what is it this time" and half-way through the first track turns to you and says "buy it". 

IMG-3062.jpg

IMG-3063.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

Congratulations on the new speakers alistair, personally i prefer the configuration of the upright trios it will be interesting to see how you compare the sound of your old speakers especially with the flh subs. You must have one of the best sounding rooms in the land down under. Enjoy in good health.

• 1 year later...