Hello guys,

I currently own Focal Utopia, Hifiman HE1000 V2 & Campfire Audio Cascade.

I currently use an A&K SP2000 & A&K L1000.

I don't really know much about amplifiers as I use IEMs more often.

Focal Utopia - 80 ohms & 104dB/1mW

HE1000 V2 - 35Ohms & 90dB

Cascade - 38Ohms & 100dB

do I really need a desktop amp??

thank you.

Just now, Decky said:

Yes.

Hello Decky, thank you for your answer.
may I know why though?

the headphones' ohms are fairly low, which means I do not need much power.

please advise me if you can, thank you so much!

I have the he1000 v2 the better and more powerful the amp the better it scales up. Its like adding more meat to its bones. I run mine balanced as well which really gets the best out of them. It opens them up heaps. 

40 minutes ago, grorr76 said:

I have the he1000 v2 the better and more powerful the amp the better it scales up. Its like adding more meat to its bones. I run mine balanced as well which really gets the best out of them. It opens them up heaps. 

I see, may I know which one you use? Thanks

5 hours ago, Klaus220 said:

Hello Decky, thank you for your answer.
may I know why though?

the headphones' ohms are fairly low, which means I do not need much power.

please advise me if you can, thank you so much!

The first law of audiophiliac disease - when you are questioning if you should buy a new piece of equipment, you are just looking for a justification since the decision is already made. So, you will probably buy one regardless what people say here. I am just cutting through all the BS and giving you a moral support you need :)

Reasons: well, the impedance is not the only reason why one would use an amp. It the same way that listening loud music is not the only way to consume music. There is much more to it and there are many ways you skin the cat (a terrible analogy - whoever came up with it must have had some serious issues) . Some headphone drivers simply need more current flow to give you everything they got. I lot of people dismiss headphones simply based on their performance with one amplifier or no amplifier at all. It is the same with speakers. Try it and see. 

5 hours ago, Decky said:

The first law of audiophiliac disease - when you are questioning if you should buy a new piece of equipment, you are just looking for a justification since the decision is already made. So, you will probably buy one regardless what people say here. I am just cutting through all the BS and giving you a moral support you need :)

Reasons: well, the impedance is not the only reason why one would use an amp. It the same way that listening loud music is not the only way to consume music. There is much more to it and there are many ways you skin the cat (a terrible analogy - whoever came up with it must have had some serious issues) . Some headphone drivers simply need more current flow to give you everything they got. I lot of people dismiss headphones simply based on their performance with one amplifier or no amplifier at all. It is the same with speakers. Try it and see. 

Thank you for the reply.

nah, i haven’t really made my mind up haha.

Just was wondering if amps are necessary and it definitely will give better sound quality.

Take your headphones to the shop and try it yourself. At least you don't have to try new headphones or portable players because you already have the top of the top. 

1 hour ago, Irek said:

Take your headphones to the shop and try it yourself. At least you don't have to try new headphones or portable players because you already have the top of the top. 

hey Irek, thank you for your reply.

now.... I did try for about 1 hour, but I couldn't really tell much difference from SP2000 :( 

55 minutes ago, Klaus220 said:

hey Irek, thank you for your reply.

now.... I did try for about 1 hour, but I couldn't really tell much difference from SP2000 :( 

That's the end of your journey. There is nothing else to improve.

Although you can try something like Ifi Itube 2 buffer for fun.  

29 minutes ago, Irek said:

That's the end of your journey. There is nothing else to improve.

Although you can try something like Ifi Itube 2 buffer for fun.  

I see, ok, I decided not to buy the amp then thank you :) 

have a good evening

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hipnhop
      Item Condition: In great condition with normal wear Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Ascot Vale State: VIC Payment Method: EFT, CASH on pickup Reason for selling: Surplus Hi All

Selling my surplus portable amps. This one is a rare gem and is made in the USA. Specially ordered in for my shure SE864. The RRP is $399 US

More info can be found in the link

https://www.headamp.com/products/pico-slim

The Pico Slim is HeadAmp's smallest amplifier, at a mere 9.4mm thick!  Inside it holds finely tuned audio circuitry, including a unique 255-step volume control, and a powerful battery capable of 60 hours of playback time. The chassis is milled from solid aluminum, giving this tiny amplifier a robust build that's made to travel.
      The Pico Slim is designed to be an ideal companion to in-ear monitors and efficient low-impedance headphones, by using a special technology to maintain perfect channel matching even at very low listening levels.  The Pico Slim's advanced circuitry handles complex multi-driver, multi-crossover in-ear monitors with ease, and maintains a jet-black background for relaxed listening.
      The Pico Slim includes a USB charger, and a protective leather amplifier case.

• By tfj100
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: North Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: EFT or Cash on pick-up preferred Reason for selling: Selling excess equipment Further information:
      I recently told a friend of mine that I was looking at upgrading my system and he asked me if I would like to borrow some of the equipment he had which he wasn't using so I could compare what I had with some alternatives. I ended up with an additional pair of speakers, a power conditioner and this Pass Labs power amplifier.

Then lockdown hit and instead of having the equipment for 2 weeks, I was lucky enough to have it for 4 months! Not only that, I have been working from home, so it has definitely been good company on the days when I haven't had too many meetings.

I don't really want to return any of it but he is not interested in selling the speakers or the power conditioner (the two items which most need upgrading in my system). He is interested in selling me this amplifier, however, it is the one item out of the three that I can't justify, so before it goes back to him, we agreed I would advertise it here. It weighs over 50kg, so hopefully you can understand the motivation of having to move it one less time.

This unit is about 3 years old, and was purchased second hand about 2 years ago. The previous owner purchased it from Class-A Audio. Current RRP is about $13k. It is in excellent condition with no visible marks. 

If money was no object, I would definitely buy it. I currently use 2 Prima Luna Prologue Power Amplifiers which themselves are highly rated, but this is a cut above especially when running in Class-A. When I bought the Prima Lunas, I thought tubes were my preference over solid state but this amp has proven that it is the outcome that is important, not the mode.

Most people will know it by reputation, but if not, there are plenty of reviews out there:

Positive feedback: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue78/pass_xa30.htm
      6 Moons: http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/passlabs/1.html
      Dagogo: https://www.dagogo.com/pass-labs-xa30-8-class-stereo-amplifier-review
      Enjoy the music: http://enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/1114/Pass_Laboratories_XA30_8_Power_Amplifier.htm
      Home theatre HiFi: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/power-amplifier/pass-labs-xa30-8-class-stereo-power-amplifier-review/
      Home theatre review: https://hometheaterreview.com/pass-labs-xa308-stereo-amplifier-reviewed/

If you are interested in buying, you are welcome to audition it at my house in North Melbourne. It comes with a manual, but no box, so shipping is not currently an option. 

PS If anybody wants to buy two Prima Luna Prologue Power Amplifiers instead, let me know. Maybe I will be able justify this amp after all

A donation will be made to SNA upon sale.

Photos:
      (Note the photo of the rear of the unit is from the internet, the other two are of the unit itself).

• By dan-m9
      Item Condition: 9/10 Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Postmans Ridge or Toowoomba State: QLD Payment Method: Paypal (Buyer pays 2.6% fees or F&F with no fees), EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: NLR Further information:

Fantastic headphones for the price by far. Great condition and fairly rare these days as Modhouse isn’t selling them due to T50 stock demand (upto 20 weeks lead time new)

SE version with ZMF Protein pads and Deerskin strap.

AusPost postage for $15 or $22 for Express.

More Info/specs:
      https://www.modhouseaudio.com/argon-mk3/zimu3wz0oyxlavnprki2jovso6c31v

Any questions please ask.
      Thanks.

Photos:

• By Guest12345
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Canberra State: Australian Capital Territory Payment Method: EFT or Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Freeing up cash for living room HT setup Further information:

For sale is the pride and joy of my headphone setup, the ampsandsound Kenzie headphone amp. It produces a neutral - slightly warmer sound (though nothing too outrageous) for headphone listening. I'm not really a headphone amp reviewer so I don't really know how to properly describe the sound I hear. It powers headphones up to 600 ohms. 

It's a custom built unit, and wired for our voltage (230V). The product is in mint condition, and used <50 hours. The pricing reflects this, as well as the cost required to ship it to Australia + GST. 

Link to the product page, and specification, here:
      https://ampsandsound.com/products/kenzie-headphone-amp

For futher information, reviews are here:
      https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ampsandsound-kenzie-headphone-amplifier.21001/reviews#item-review-14229

Thread on head-fi regarding the company, ampsandsound is here:
      https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ampsandsound-aka-amps-sound.802346/

Feel free to PM me to make an appointment to come by for a demo. BYO headphones!

Pickup only, but will consider shipping if payment can be made in full on your end first. 

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Edwardw71
      Hi, hope everyone is fine during this hard time.

I am thinking to re-cable my Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm to 4.4mm or XLR.  However, I don't have the skill and equipment needed.   So, I am wondering if we have headphone re-cabling service around greater Melbourne area?

Thank you for your attention to this message.