Glasses. we know what you're drinking - what are you drinking out of???

Beer: (left) a cheap lager glass; (third from left) MPB Artisanal glass; (far right) Xmas glass from Aldi - the other three are picked up from various op shops. Usage varies on my mood.

IMG_20201009_141520.thumb.jpg.c1af5c0c74d25610be2b56d87e895919.jpg

Wine: (from left) one of a pair from Angoves (the "go to" pair); Reidel Cabernet; Gabriel Glos Gold; white Royal Doulton Sommelier; red Royal Doulton Sommelier.

IMG_20201009_140851.thumb.jpg.811f94ba744508ab4b2bc5e87168f203.jpg

Whisky: various size tumblers, but the one on the right is the one I use the most (I've got another dozen or so). Great for isolating the smell, checking the legs, you're not holding the container so you don't heat up the whisky and you can have a good taste with as little as 10ml (if you REALLY want to).

IMG_20201009_141229.thumb.jpg.dbc8e2573a47591dcfe7b66e259043eb.jpg

Edited by Cloth Ears
  • Like 2

Now, some people don't believe that a glass can have an effect on the flavour of beer wine or whisky.

I know, I know, I'm a bit of a skeptic on the subject of cabling (most varieties) when it comes to sound. My experience is almost (note the 'almost') always that a cable can either do nothing, or detrimentally affect the sound of my system.

Same with the glass.

Take the whisky tumblers. They're good to hold in your hand. They can handle a few ice-cubes, so they're great for mixed drinks (the one(s) on the left do most of the gin mixed drink duties), but they mostly take away from the appreciation of a good, straight, single malt whisky.

The crappy, $1 per glass, stem thing on the right, however, works really well. By positioning you nose "just so", you can isolate the heat (alcohol), the sweet smells and the earthy smells. And by holding the stem, you can do the opposite of what a brandy balloon does (i.e. allow your hand heat to warm up the booze).

For the beer, I'm still not really sure what the use of the different shapes is, other than it allow you to concentrate the smell (the four glasses on the right do it better by varying degrees), or control the head on the pour (the ones with long, smooth sides make this easier to control).

And wine...I'll admit I was sceptical in my youth. But Mrs CE and I decided to try out the Gabrial-Glas when we got it with two wines in three glasses. One a reasonable Pinot, (i.e. not too Ribena) and the other a heavier CabSauv.

Using the white Royal Doulton and the Angove glasses as comparison, we found that the Glas was probably the best overall taste and nosing glass, but was bettered on the nose with the C/S by the Angove (the smaller ones were a bit concentrated in the alcohol department and didn't allow the smell to expand enough in the glass) and we were able to discern more from the smaller Royal Doulton in the Pinot, whereas the smell got a bit lost in the big Angove but was pretty good in the Glas.

And the flavour thing was more from how the wine hits your mouth and tongue. Because the Glas has a curved mouth, you find the wine pouring out smoothly over your whole palate, so you get a more balanced flavour profile. The Angove is similar, simply because it's so big, but you go hunting a bit more for the tannins and it accentuates the acidity more. The smaller Royal Doulton gave both wines (initially, at least) almost no tannin and accentuated acidity. Of course, if you swish around in your mouth, then you get all the flavours - but it's not what I like to listen to when I'm eating dinner.

• Like 1

I've more beer glasses than I know what to do with ranging from Shaker Pints to Tekus. My standard beer glass though is the Spiegelau stemmed Pilsner (or the BA version).

Wine glasses: started with Orrefors Crystal (21st presents), then Riedel Vinums. Have currently settled on Vinum Extremes, Pinot, Shiraz, Riesling and Rose/Sparkling.

For whisky I've a couple of Waterford Elegance Single Malts (Xmas pressie from the wife).

If I was starting from scratch I'd just get a heap of Gabriels or Zalto Universals and drink everything from one glass.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, needlerunner said:

I see what you are doing here.

You little alcohol audiophile, you.🍺🍸🍹🍷

That's "alchiophile"...but you can call me a drunk (for short)!

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Mushroom01 said:

New glassware arrived safe & sound. Bottle really gives a true scale of their size! 

IMG_20201012_143944.thumb.jpg.27766fe01dd543c63da003ea7bebf260.jpg

I like that lip. Allows the wine to pour evenly into your mouth. With hopefully no spillages!

I think I bought this from @Saxon Hall.

I absolutely love it but I have just about worn it out.  Wine, whiskey, O.J, I don’t care, they all go into this little beauty.  I am sure the purists will be rolling their eyes but I never claimed to have any class comrades!

I know he sold a few so if any one has one gathering dust in the cupboard I am ready to buy.

26C08C77-7B9F-41BD-A3E6-BD6AB7E30B0B.thumb.jpeg.1ca199a1c72b53efef64228a85258a0a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ooogh said:

I think I bought this from @Saxon Hall.

I absolutely love it but I have just about worn it out.  Wine, whiskey, O.J, I don’t care, they all go into this little beauty.  I am sure the purists will be rolling their eyes but I never claimed to have any class comrades!

I know he sold a few so if any one has one gathering dust in the cupboard I am ready to buy.

26C08C77-7B9F-41BD-A3E6-BD6AB7E30B0B.thumb.jpeg.1ca199a1c72b53efef64228a85258a0a.jpeg

Yes I found a stash of them and sold them all here.

I'm glad that they went to good homes.

Long Live Gough. (Metaphorically speaking of course)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Saxon Hall said:

I get to have a drink with Gough every night!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Saxon Hall said:

Well

The changes get to live on😀

• Like 1

crystal.thumb.jpg.d6d46a2f2444b3fe0cb15b41d9852197.jpg    I like Crystal Glasses and fortunately they are readily available at Op Shops for next to nothing.

The 2 shown here are sherry and port glasses.

The one on the left is Edinburgh Crystal and the one on the right is Stuart England.

I actually drink Cab Sav and Shiraz from them because they are small.

Too much Red Wine gives me headaches so I can still have 2 glasses worth. Yay!

Edited by Saxon Hall
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Road testing the Riedel Performance Syrah (+Grenache, Sangio etc) glass with a nice CdR. It is not a small glass, and is unusual in that there is a slight ribbing pattern to the glass bowl which does show up in the photo. I can only assume that the ribbing is a specific scientific design to enhance your, or your partner's drinking pleasure.

IMG_3225.thumb.jpg.28f764d1c6f5f53e9c6f5f30c8ab2f90.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...