Do you pay RRP shown on the website?

Hi Everyone,

I was always wanted to get into hifi world and saved enough money to purchase a pair of floor standing speakers and integrated amplifier to start my journey.

I've done the research and decided to go with KEF R7 and CA CXA81 so I started searching online to see which shop would offer the best price but looking at 5-7 shops, they were all selling at $7000 for KEF R7. It was quite shock to me as KEF US's RRP was shown at U$4000 which would be equivalent to A$5500 and since it is retail, I thought it would be even cheaper. 

Just wondering if it is normal for AU shops to have higher price than other countries (possibly due to higher tax??)? Would shops offer some discount when you make a purchase? 

Yes import duty, gst, import agent profit and retail profit.

I tend to use the website as a starting point and then ring around to get best price. I find that most retailers will come to the party. 

...don’t expect them to come down to $5500 though

This must be the first time you've compared o/s prices for anything to AU.

You won't find anything for the price of a simple currency conversion.

Online buying .... yeah I just pay it .... but I'm not shopping at your level.

Thread title really should identify Websites by Australian Retailers.

'Website' could be anywhere, and there's definite after purchase advantages buying from an AU seller.

Edited by eman
  • Like 1

If I purchase online then, yes, I pay RRP.  If I want a better price I call and speak to someone.  As for hi-fi, I never pay RRP, unless a small purchase.

A straight currency conversion from overseas to Australia dollars isn't accurate simply because the items in overseas currency is taking in to account their costs, not ours.  We're on the other side of the world, it costs money to freight things here, plus when you're adding man hours the price also goes up.  Just look at the quality products made in our own backyard, such as Osborn speakers and Elektra amps - great value for money, for the same reasons I mentioned.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Junz said:

Hi Everyone,

I was always wanted to get into hifi world and saved enough money to purchase a pair of floor standing speakers and integrated amplifier to start my journey.

Now you know - 'hifi' stands for 'high-cost fidelity '!  xD

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, andyr said:

Now you know - 'hifi' stands for 'high-cost fidelity '!  xD

Andy

Yes, also High Fi, you need to be on drugs to get in to it.  

In fact, a drug habit is probably cheaper...

In Australia tax (GST) is included in the price as it is law*. In the U.S. they don't have to show taxes included in their advertised price, and remember they have state, county, local (city) taxes. added to the final price.

This is why it is very hard to compare prices with the U.S. 

*Though when looking for speakers in the last few weeks, I did find one well known online dealer who had a price displayed, and when you went to the checkout it added GST to the final price ?

• Like 1

Most of the time it doesn't make any sense to buy online speakers or amplifiers. Once you are inside the shop you can negotiate price, try different components, find some demo or second hand, even borrow something to try at home and more. All those benefits are priceless.

• Like 3

Thanks all for the input.

I know AU price are usually more expensive than other countries but the difference was not as significant as hifi equipments so I thought maybe I needed to know something more before I commit the purchase. It is not a small amount for me ... :(

Yes, I would definaltely visit brick and mortar store if I could but living in Melbourne, I cant really do that yet. Perhaps I should wait until the lockdown is over and then make a purchase.

• Like 1

Folks above said it. 

With COVID19, I can't go into the store. Next best thing is call up and enquire. Politely ask if they can give you a better deal. I won't recommend that you simply click purchase on the website and check out. If the store is willing, they will send you an invoice via email with the discounted price.  Then transact from there.

Good luck. I got a CXA81 and its awesome. 

There is post a few years ago discussing why Kef Aust prices are among the highest in the world when comparing US, UK, Asia and EU, so no it’s not because of local tax and other issues it’s purely because that’s the markup Kef Aust has chosen. It’s something like 40% more than it should be comparatively.

Hunt around for demo Kef deals around Aust and good used buys. There is also a tagged speaker audition list post in the forum for wider considerations. For that money others like ATC40 and VAF I-66 etc are better.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

• Volunteer

Righto here we go again

AUDUSD about 0.7100

USD 4k = AUD 5,600

Shipping and insurance at a guess $500 (I have no idea but its probably quite a bit more)

GST and duty on AUD $6,100? Again a guess but probably 15% total

Total AUD 7k 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Righto here we go again

AUDUSD about 0.7100

USD 4k = AUD 5,600

Shipping and insurance at a guess $500 (I have no idea but its probably quite a bit more)

GST and duty on AUD $6,100? Again a guess but probably 15% total

Total AUD 7k 

Exactly.

I really cannot fathom why people continually fail to understand that the price should not be determined just by a currency conversion.

Even the most cursory examination of the costs associated with getting the product here would reveal at least an additional 25% in shipping, GST and import duty and then the retailer /distributor need to make a living and not be a charity for audiophiles.

• Like 6

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Al.M said:

There is post a few years ago discussing why Kef Aust prices are among the highest in the world when comparing US, UK, Asia and EU, so no it’s not because of local tax and other issues it’s purely because that’s the markup Kef Aust has chosen. It’s something like 40% more than it should be comparatively.

It used to be a prime example, but I *believe* KEF's importer locally has been working with the manufacturer to get the prices down closer to global pricing in more recent times.

• Like 3

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, Marc said:

It used to be a prime example, but I *believe* KEF's importer locally has been working with the manufacturer to get the prices down closer to global pricing in more recent times.

Based on my rough calculations it seems like they are doing a pretty good job ?

• Like 2

In addition to exchange rates, which importers often hedge, I totally agree that costs associated with freight charges,  including importer's risk - shipping on dangerous waters etc, storage, relevant taxes, profit margins, and the lack of bulk import (Arse end of the world as some economist would call Straya and NZ) all play a part in the determination of the RRP here. I think we should look at what we are paying in Aussie dollar here when comparing 'equivalent' equipment for value and performance. I am sure dealers and importers alike are aware of competition or the lack of and also all the above cost factors and price their stuff accordingly and in agreement with overseas manufacturers. By the way, the more expensive the equipment does not equal to higher musical satisfaction. Listen to the equipment yourselves and choose the sound you like most than ask the price. You might be pleasantly surprise.

• Like 1

Speakers often have 40-50% mark up.

You won’t get that discount normally - and nor should you - overheads are insane!

If you want a red hot deal, try this:

Email/phone every store that you know that stocks that item, and tell them you’ll take their floor model if they’re ever getting out of that model for 40% off retail - quick sale, no effort for them, condition as is, cash in hand. Also can work if they just accidentally overstock. If they don’t have to pay someone/their rent etc at $100 an hour, it’s good for them (don’t spend a week bothering them - it’s only a win if they can quit that stock in seconds).

A quick sale of a dead stock floor model is a win for the retailer at that stage - they don’t need to make a profit on that last one (usually - and they may even have a rebated price from the distributer). The stock turn for the next profitable speaker is worth it. You then also get a retailer who’ll happily help you, instead of only sticking to the legal requirements because you made their life hard.

Electronics, at best, will have 30% (give or take rebate) - but do the same thing.

Everyone needs to make money, or they won’t be there for you in the first place.

If you want the deal of the century, it just has to be a viable win-win for everyone. Be prepared to wait, have the colour you don’t want and a scratch on the side.

It’s also astronomically easier to give that deal to someone who isn’t a ball buster - if you’re a d***, they’ll happily grin as you walk off fuming.

I’ve done this with everything I’ve bought brand new that’s up there in price, and it’s always been super easy (as long as you hold on to that patience).

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Rob McHugh said:

I always go old school - I go to the shop knowing what I want and offer cash up front, I always get a discount. ?

Rob

Yup - you make it easy, and you’re happy for a win-win.

5 hours ago, rantan said:

Even the most cursory examination of the costs associated with getting the product here would reveal at least an additional 25% in shipping, GST and import duty and then the retailer /distributor need to make a living and not be a charity for audiophiles.

Unlike in the US, to where KEF ships their speakers for free, where no import duties exist, and where products are distributed and sold by charities?

I know that advertised prices in the US usually don’t include GST/sales tax, but I reckon that after currency conversion the US RRP should be at least in the same ballpark as the AU RRP (minus GST), for products that are made neither in the US nor in AU.

Any large discrepancies would then have to be attributed to higher regulatory compliance costs, greedy middlemen or unrealistic exchange rates. The latter plays likely a role, since the exchange rate is largely determined by gamblers and speculators.

I don’t think the Aus RRP of $7000 is that bad actually because from my experience, most shops can easily give you 10% discount for a product that they have in stock and in that price range. So $6300 is easily achievable without much effort. I would guess more discount may be possible...

Now I am not advocating you should be an a-hole and haggle excessively or start ranting about overseas pricing, but usually a good sales will explain to you why certain brand or model they can give you more discount and why some they cannot (cos they have to order in or they don’t sell enough etc). 

Edited by att23