Vale : Eddie Van Halen

18 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Distraught. News said 'one of the best', pffft.

EVH_frankenstrat.jpg.9b8d9738bdd183a6047fd6052ab8f9be.jpg

The greatest since Hendrix really. Took out more readers poll awards in guitar player and guitar world magazines polls than anyone else. Given when they came out, they were so unique, VH1 left people dumbfounded, in world were punk and disco was taking over, in comes these young punks and they blew california off the map. I remember reading stories about all the backyard parties and high school parties they played at, where police had to shut off streets because thousands of people would turn up to see this guy play guitar. What a time and place to be alive that would have been! I only got to see them in 1998 on 3 tour with Gary, but at least I got to meet him and chat with him.

He had the most incredible ear for music and a brilliant tone. The brown sound. 

In 78 when they opened up for Sabbath, they blew them off the stage. I know Randy Rhoads was quite upset when VH landed. They both used to sneak into each other gigs to see them play. Ed was a tortured soul though, a very nervous person and the reason he drank so much booze. All that just took it's toll on his body along with smoking since he was about 10 years old. That's life I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

Eruption wasn't even a thing, it was just a warm up thing he used to do. Done and recorded in 2 takes. It's that unplanned spontaneous thing that often ends up being so memorable. Nobody can ever fill his shoes.

8 hours ago, Saxon Hall said:

I saw an interview where Gene Simmons said some very nice things about Eddie. He said in a world full of massive egos including himself , Eddie was one of the Nice Guys.

Yeah he was, he also went thru some dark times in the early 2000's. 

image.thumb.png.8cc9a4012a153e58bb28e6da0ccb620f.png

The demos Gene Simmons organised for them in 1976. You can hear all sorts of different bits that become other songs on the first albums,, up to 1984 actually. 

• 2 weeks later...

found this on bookface

This song on which Eddie played with pianist Rich Wyman didn’t get the attention or love it deserved, but man, it is so beautiful! This is one of three tracks on which Eddie played for Wyman’s Fatherless Child album released in 1996. The songs with EVH were recorded between early 1993 and early 1994. Wyman has a nice tribute to EVH on his website right now at www.richwyman.com . If you haven’t heard this song before, check it out.

• 1 year later...