Earthquake resistant mat

Okay, went to Westfield today and found this. Earthquake resistant mat, what the heck is this haha. Soon I realised I can place it under my amplifier as an isolation device. The texture is sort of jelly-ish~ Should be good for resistant. Keen to have a isoacoustic orca for a while, hopefully this could do the job for $2.80?

Here are some pictures of the implementation.

19257EC7-C5A7-4591-8EDF-161483F65C3C.thumb.jpeg.c5bea34d04c43432482fcdf9beacbc1c.jpeg

19738E3E-EFDE-4921-851C-5C3ABAEE81A4.thumb.jpeg.bd15667520ee25961984fbfdb22518e3.jpeg

Cheers,

• Like 3

If it's got a jelly-ish texture, I wonder if it might flatten over a longer period under weight (I notice jelly-ish heel pads I've put in my shoes have flattened with time).  Then again, the amp may not have enough mass to do this.  At $2.80, we might have a competitor to the Bunnings White's vibration pads!

I really like these for the price.  It is useful to spread the load across the whole surface of the pad, stop avoid it squashing out of a local pressure area.  So, cutting a square of something hard, like plastic or plywood to match the size and shape of the pad is a good idea.  This also helps them deal with heavier pieces of equipment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, misternavi said:

Is it like Sorbathane?

Some ads suggest they are "anti toppling", their adhesive properties stop things falling over in an earthquake (like a vase or statuette on a shelf or table). They talk of "Uses a gel that is made of ultra-adhesive vibration-absorbing materials with both solid and liquid properties."

The Daiso ad (on their Japanese site says "Material: Polyurethane".

So I'm not sure their primary intent is to absorb or isolate from vibration.

• Like 2

I have been using Daiso vibration resistant pads (the black round one depicted below - could be discontinued as I can no longer find them) and now these earthquake resistant mats for quite some time now due to their ridiculously cheap price and functionality. I can't say they make a difference but I'd like to think that they do. No harm in trying anyway and for ease of mind. I place the black pads under heavy equipment and the earthquake resistant mats under light source equipment (ie my minidsp SHD Studio). I even cut the 'jelly' into smaller sizes and place several under each of my audio rack shelves.

Cheap tweaks for inflationary times - av2day.com

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kdjjdk Will said:

im still on hockey pucks

I'd have thought they have limited compliance under typical hi-fi gear weights.

"...harder rubber, like that used in hockey pucks, has 90 durometer hardness..."

20 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

Some ads suggest they are "anti toppling", their adhesive properties stop things falling over in an earthquake (like a vase or statuette on a shelf or table). They talk of "Uses a gel that is made of ultra-adhesive vibration-absorbing materials with both solid and liquid properties."

The Daiso ad (on their Japanese site says "Material: Polyurethane".

So I'm not sure their primary intent is to absorb or isolate from vibration.

I agree with this theory.  Basically just gel pads (anti-slip). However at $2.80, I will get a pack or two just for fun.

I think isolation and damping (absorption) are two separate theory. And quite often need to be bespoke/tailored to certain mass/stiffness of your component and rack and floor etc to have best effects.  So this gel is not “that” hi-tech. 

Like I said, I will get them anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kdjjdk Will said:

true. but id rather spend  money where u can hear a difference , like speakers or amps, rather than on snake oil like isolation devices  and earth wind chanellers

Your decision, and I support the avoidance of "snake oil" products that only bring our interest into disrepute and waste our money (and credibility).

However, I wouldn't put all "isolation devices" in the "snake oil" category, as some of these products in some systems definitely can produce positive audible differences (sometimes at minimal cost).

4 hours ago, pwstereo said:

Maybe Daiso? They're not always in huge Westfield shopping centres either.

Yes it was Daiso.

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

Your decision, and I support the avoidance of "snake oil" products that only bring our interest into disrepute and waste our money (and credibility).

However, I wouldn't put all "isolation devices" in the "snake oil" category, as some of these products in some systems definitely can produce positive audible differences (sometimes at minimal cost).

True. For the price $2.80 I believe it’s worth to have a go haha. Sometimes even put a dollar coin under the speaker might also sound different. Hope this inspires more funny stuffs to be used in our hifi systems.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ednnf said:

Yes it was Daiso.

True. For the price $2.80 I believe it’s worth to have a go haha. Sometimes even put a dollar coin under the speaker might also sound different. Hope this inspires more funny stuffs to be used in our hifi systems.

If you were to put $2 coins under your speakers, rather than the $1, your speakers would sound twice as rich.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guest dr_carl

I learned a lot when I  learned how ultrasound scans work. You see they depend on having acoustic impedance mismatch to provide reflections that can be measured. So if want to stop vibrations you construct a  multilayer structure of alternating acoustic impedances. You can effectively trap waves in cavities like that.

Knowing physics saves me $.