Hi, hope everyone is fine during this hard time.

I am thinking to re-cable my Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm to 4.4mm or XLR.  However, I don't have the skill and equipment needed.   So, I am wondering if we have headphone re-cabling service around greater Melbourne area?

Thank you for your attention to this message.

• Like 1

The DT880 uses a single ended cable from one cup so a 4.4 mm Pentaconn would serve no purpose as it is a balanced connection as is a 4 pin XLR.

These phones can be modded for balanced amplifier use but involves pulling them apart and installing a connector into each ear cup.

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/beyerdynamic-dt880-600ohm-balance-mod/13150

explains the procedure.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your advice and sorry for the late reply.

Hi @Tarzan I had exactly the same thought with you.  Therefore, I bought an 3.5 to 4.4 adapter.  Comparing with single ended 3.5, 4.4 plug, to me, really made the soundstage wider and  the position clearer.  I only have limited knowledge about the Hi-Fi technology, so, I don't know whether it is because of the separation of negative and ground, or because of more power from the balanced circuit.  After enjoying the better sound for quite a while, I became more and more greedy.😁 I want to get more from my headphone.🤤

Hi @PicoWattson Thank you so much for the URL.  I completed "studying" the web page, and it makes me feel.............um..... hard to say.  First of all, I don't have any equipment mentioned in the web page, and my experience or knowledge for completing the work is below zero.  With such negative experiences, I will probably not only destroy my headphone, but also get my house burned out.🥴So, I think that I'd better ask some experts to help me.  Not only for my own safety, but also for my neighbors'.

@Edwardw71 mate it looks like time for a upgrade. I think by the time you spend the money on modding your current set you may be able to pick up something else that will out perform your current set and be able to get an XLR cable for it. Then you could sell your current pair?

Whats your current set up?

Hi @Tarzan You are right.  I have been thinking about upgrade for quite a while.  I like the sound of DT880.  To me, it is not a perfect headphone, but, among the headphones I can afford, it is the one I like the most.  I hear the differences between single-end and balanced (although not real) config on DT880.   Therefore, I am curious about what it will sound like if I could make it a real balanced DT880.

My current set up is like below.

Headphone:

Beyerdynamic DTX900, DT880-600ohm

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

Headphone DAC/Amp combo:

Sony PHA-2A

Topping D3

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2020 at 12:15 PM, Edwardw71 said:

Therefore, I bought an 3.5 to 4.4 adapter.  Comparing with single ended 3.5, 4.4 plug, to me, really made the soundstage wider and  the position clearer.

Um, converting a balanced source to 3.5mm single ended like this is a bad idea! Your'e shorting two of the amplifiers (likely the negative) left right outputs together. Besides possibly killing the amp sooner or later, it has this weird surround sound effect. I know this first hand having had a badly soldered balanced to balanced adapter that did this once. It actually sounds quite nice in that it's different, but I soon realized that nice virtual sound is due to a small amount of left- right crosstalk added, which funny enough is sometimes done intentionally in headphone amps. Anyway, not good for your amplifier to do this. Also it's anyones guess what this does to the THD.

Edited by navlrac

OMG!! @navlrac Thank you sooooo much!!!

Honestly speaking, I totally have no this kind of knowledge.  I was actually terrified when I see your message.  I bought that adapter on ebay about 2 years ago, and the seller did not tell me anything about this.  Actually, I have been listening to music like this for almost 2 years.  Luckily, my PHA-2A has no problem with that adapter.  The battery is still good and the sound is still the same.

Does that mean that the Sony PHA-2A is not a true balanced dac/amplifier?  Or, something was "wrong" or "correct" with my adapter?  Are there any "signs" that I can notice before my amplifier go dead?  Sorry for so many questions.

Once again, thank you so much for telling me this.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rock416
      Item Condition: Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Balwyn State: VIC Payment Method: EFT or cash on pick up Reason for selling: Surplus Further information:
       Up for sale is my as new beyerdynamic T5 3rd. Came with all the accessories and original packaging.  
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By Tumpom
      Item Condition: 8/10 Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: 2095 State: NSW Payment Method: Cash on pick up or EFT Reason for selling: Upgrade I ordered this pair of Van Den Hull CSS 122 from Audio Fidelity (associated to SGR Audio) custom made to the length of 5m for the RPP of $526 in October 2013 (invoice attached). They served me very well for a pair of Vivid Audio 1.5V loudspeakers.
      Still in production today with plenty of excellent reviews online for this high value-for-money cable and one of the sweet spots in the VDH range.

https://www.vandenhul.com/what-hi-fi-magazine-2000-cs-122-hybrid/

The 2 conductors are made of 147 strands of 0.16 mm. diameter high purity Matched Crystal OFC with a very dense pure silver coating.
      Each conductor exhibits a cross-section area of 2.96 mm², equaling AWG 12.5.
      Covering the two conductors you find an extra Linear Structured Carbon ® saturated layer to improve the sonic performance and to transform the radiated magnetic field into an audio-signal again.
      The resistance per lead is: 0.58 Ohm/100 meter.
      The capacitance between the 2 leads is: 32 pF/meter.
      The cable jacket is made of our HULLIFLEX ® 3, a very flexible and mechanically superb insulation material.
      The insulation of the plus and minus leads is different in shape with printing in the flat middle section. Both properties are easy polarity finders. Type printing on every 25 cm. (10″) makes cutting of specified lengths very easy.

The banana plugs are the original VDH gold plated ones I ordered with the cable, hence they do have some signs of wear commensurate to their age.
      As a bonus if interested I am adding a free set of 4 pairs of EGM gold plated banana plugs with heatshrink sleeves, all brand new and mint, should you want to change them.

Any question please PM me.

Thanks for watching

• By Klaus220
      Item Condition: good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Merrylands State: NSW Payment Method: Paypal +3%, EFT, cash on pickup Reason for selling: not needed Further information:
      Selling used Sony MDR-Z7 mk1 headphones

The headphone comes with two stock cables (2m balanced connection cable and 3m connection cable), manual and original packaging.

The headphones work perfectly fine.

Just selling them as I have too many headphones, also I do not prefer bassy headphones anyway.

For more information please visit: https://store.sony.com.au/archived-headphones-home/MDRZ7.html

if you have any questions, please DM/PM me.

thank you   

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By sumoxui
      Item Condition: Rarely Used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Newington State: NSW Payment Method: Paypal Friends & Family, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Not used enough Further information: Focal Clear Professional 
      One of the best open back headphones for the pricepoint. Great clarity and overall sound quality. I do like the professional version's color. I will also include a aftermarket balanced XLR cable for free

Here is a review from innerfidality & The Headphone Show

Feel free to msg me if you have any questions

Also all photos are of the actual unit. 

Photos:

• By Wooks
      Item Condition: Mint New Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Esperance State: WA Payment Method: Paypal, EFT Reason for selling: Life Further information:

Essentially brand new, has been through two listening sessions, Hybrid pads have not been removed from the case yet.
      Life happens and I need to sell them unfortunately.

Have a 4.4mm to 6.4mm adapter cable from Aurealis Audio that can be included at extra cost, not for sale separately.

Photos: