mini / small stereo power amp

hello 

looking for a small stereo power amp for my bedroom system that will use some JBL in wall speakers (link) and to feed it I have a Yamaha WXC-50 pre-amp, streamer, DAC, for mostly digital sources (Spotify Premium, net radio, etc) 

15-30 watts for evening listening, morning news, business time, etc. 

$300 max (if justified) 

D-class or tubes are OK, new or 2nd hand, or even (first project) kit builds 

I see plenty of class-d units but they look geared more towards bung for buck wattage (some up to 150+ watts ) or there's gimmicky looking tube options from China on ebay. Also online options need to consider any addition kit to work on AU power.

yeah I've seen similar but tbh I don't need the bluetooth and would like to think you could get a better sound paying more, say 3 -4 times that listed asking amount 

thanks for suggestion 

First generation NAD 3020D is a great (and little) Class D amp - come up in classifieds every now and then - usually slightly over the $300 mark.  I use one on my desk.

Gibbo

• Like 2

This little fella is 23w/ch into 8 ohms or 40 into 4 ohms.

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/collections/power-amplifiers/products/pro-ject-amp-box-s2

This is 40w/ch but well over budget (probably a better amp though).

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/burson-audio/products/burson-audio-bang-stereo-power-amplifier

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wasabijim said:

yeah I've seen similar but tbh I don't need the bluetooth and would like to think you could get a better sound paying more, say 3 -4 times that listed asking amount 

thanks for suggestion 

They come without bluetooth, that's just the first one I found.

As for sound, I have my doubts that something at $300 will necessarily sound a lot better.  Some of the buzz around these amps is that they sound pretty damn good.  I think more money might buy better support, and maybe reliability, but not sound.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, wasabijim said:

hello 

looking for a small stereo power amp for my bedroom system that will use some JBL in wall speakers (link) and to feed it I have a Yamaha WXC-50 pre-amp, streamer, DAC, for mostly digital sources (Spotify Premium, net radio, etc) 

15-30 watts for evening listening, morning news, business time, etc. 

$300 max (if justified) 

D-class or tubes are OK, new or 2nd hand, or even (first project) kit builds 

I see plenty of class-d units but they look geared more towards bung for buck wattage (some up to 150+ watts ) or there's gimmicky looking tube options from China on ebay. Also online options need to consider any addition kit to work on AU power.

There  is a IcePower 50ASX2 power amp in the classifieds for $250 - IcePower is used on the integrated Yamaha Streamer amp (but it uses the 125ASX2)

Small and minimal heat.

21 hours ago, misternavi said:

There  is a IcePower 50ASX2 power amp in the classifieds for $250 - IcePower is used on the integrated Yamaha Streamer amp (but it uses the 125ASX2)

Small and minimal heat.

yes i saw that

then i got to thinking I'd almost be better off trying to grab a WXA-50 2nd hand and then sell on my WXC-50 

• Like 1

I recently grabbed one of these for a bedroom amplifier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-HIFI-NAP250-MOD-Stereo-Power-amplifier-80W-80W-desktop-Audio-amp/

also available in a 2 box (separate power supply)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFI-Split-NAP250-MOD-Stereo-Power-amplifier-80W-80W-desktop-amp-PSU-L8-8/113256459488?hash=item1a5e9c6ce0:g:iOkAAOSwz2JbYwrr

speakers are KEF concerto's and using a small (ECC95 tube) pre amp ( I upgraded with NOS tubes)

• 1 month later...

I managed to locally pick up one a SMSL SA-98e for just under $80, the external PS is bigger than the unit itself. 

I've had to run it in my main system with the Yamaha WXC-50 streamer/pre-amp and its doing a great job. volume set at 9 o'clock / 20% and its clean with plenty of volume for arvo listening levels, as loud as i dare to go.  it does have poor THD at high levels - Output power: (DC 32V) 160 W/4Ω;THD = 10%) but there's no need to get anywhere near that level.  the grip on the bass is dynamic and agile.  sound stage doesn't have the width and depth of the other amp (Classe Sigman 2200i) nor the finesse and engagement.  

very happy

thanks for inputs 

https://www.audiophile-store.com.au/collections/stereo-amplifiers-power-amplifiers-receivers/products/smsl-sa-98e-80wpc-tda7498e-power-adapter

• 3 weeks later...

quick question to the brains trust ref volume on the unit. 

I am i right that some people recommend that your amp (I assume they mean the separate power stage) should be set and left at full gain/volume and the pre-amp input used to set listening levels accordingly??

the specs for this state - 160W/ 4 ΩTHD = 10%; 

so far from fantastic as you move towards its red line

currently I've got it set at about 20% / 9 o'clock as per the pic below. should i a) set it at max, b) leave it as is, or c) set it somewhere in between (say 12 o'clock) ??

cheers

70c7689dd0bfad8840b786d8b5e33d06_2048x2048_e0b80ad3-40a9-4ae3-b4cd-7f2bd9c5c960_2048x2048.jpg?v=1596526056

28 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

I am i right that some people recommend that your amp (I assume they mean the separate power stage) should be set and left at full gain/volume and the pre-amp input used to set listening levels accordingly??

currently I've got it set at about 20% / 9 o'clock as per the pic below. should i a) set it at max, b) leave it as is, or c) set it somewhere in between (say 12 o'clock) ??

cheers

From the point of view of convenience, setting it at maximum allows you to control it completely via the preamp.  The downside is that any mistakes, like pulling an interconnect out accidentally, will hit your speakers at full volume.

In practice I have my power amp set at the loudest volume I need to use for normal listening, then just set it below that using the preamp control.

3 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

In practice I have my power amp set at the loudest volume I need to use for normal listening, then just set it below that using the preamp control.

pretty much what I'm doing now

cheers

1 hour ago, wasabijim said:

cheers

70c7689dd0bfad8840b786d8b5e33d06_2048x2048_e0b80ad3-40a9-4ae3-b4cd-7f2bd9c5c960_2048x2048.jpg?v=1596526056

Experiment and see what you like best.

On 04/12/2020 at 2:25 PM, Batty said:

Experiment and see what you like best.

this week I've re-set amp volume to about 10.30. it seems to have made synching the subwoofer easier / less fickle so that's a worthwhile plus if any.  I'll up it a bit more but I'll need to knock back a few of the inputs coming into the pre-amp now as the level differences are more emphasised.