Sign in to follow this  
PSV

.24V or .48V: is there a difference?

Hi.

A cartridge I am interested in comes in either of these. Is there a difference, i.e. is one likely to give a better sound?

I have a phono pre that can handle either.

My thinking is that the lower voltage has less wire, so easier to move in the cartridge. But open to other opinions.

Thanks

Paul

That is exactly correct. All things being otherwise equal, an ultra-low-output moving coil with be a little faster than a low-output moving coil. Keep in mind that there may be trade-offs in your phono preamp - it may have an extra gain stage, which may mean that you lose as much in electronic manipulation as you gained at the cartridge end.

Hi.

A cartridge I am interested in comes in either of these. Is there a difference, i.e. is one likely to give a better sound?

I have a phono pre that can handle either.

My thinking is that the lower voltage has less wire, so easier to move in the cartridge. But open to other opinions.

Thanks

Paul

Actually, Paul, it's 0.24 or 0.48 milliV. :)

If your phono stage can take either, that's great, but as Warren said ... if you need to switch in an extra gain stage for the 0.24mV option, you may lose some SQ as a result.

Regards,

Andy

If it is the same cartridge design from the same manufacturer then the 0.48 mv output is achieved by more coil windings which means more mass which means more inertia (or simply thought of as resistance to movement). So as others have said, the 0.24mv output should give the better results assuming your phono-preamp has sufficient gain to take the 0.24mv signal up to line-levels.

Cheers

GG