Innuos Owners and Discussions Thread

The ripping process is fantastic. I had already done my entire collection a couple of years ago (using XLD on a Mac) but I did acquire some reference CD recordings this week so decided to give the ripping section a workout and it wokred 100& of the time

886896616_ScreenShot2020-10-18at9_16_38am.thumb.png.46fef3ef97fea755dd00667672d79408.png

I own the innuos Zen Mk3 (2TB). I find the CD ripping process seamless and smooth (direct from the Innuos onboard CD slot). However, playback SQ I've noticed is significantly inferior the the SQ from streaming Tidal over the same Innuos. To the point, I don't bother ripping and storing CD's anymore.

Edited by Silver Audiophile
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Silver Audiophile said:

I own the innuos Zen Mk3 (2TB). I find the CD ripping process seamless and smooth. However, playback SQ I've noticed is significantly inferior the the SQ from streaming Tidal over the same Innuos. To the point, I don't bother ripping and storing CD's anymore.

Sorry to read that.

It is virtually half of the function of the device and if ripping yields poor SQ then this is a great concern and lessens the appeal for potential buyers.,

4 minutes ago, rantan said:

Sorry to read that.

It is virtually half of the function of the device and if ripping yields poor SQ then this is a great concern and lessens the appeal for potential buyers.,

Don't get me wrong. The Innuos sounds absolutely amazing as a Tidal Streamer. Tidal is where 99% of my music collection lies anyhow, and well and truly worth the money I spent on it alone. I will contact Innuos in the UK for a more detailed explanation about the CD ripping and storage SQ issue. Perhaps it is the disk drive letting it down and not a problem with the more expensive Zenith and it's solid state drive?

1 hour ago, Silver Audiophile said:

I own the innuos Zen Mk3 (2TB). I find the CD ripping process seamless and smooth (direct from the Innuos onboard CD slot). However, playback SQ I've noticed is significantly inferior the the SQ from streaming Tidal over the same Innuos. To the point, I don't bother ripping and storing CD's anymore.

I can’t say that I’ve found the ripping process and subsequent sound quality on playback inferior. In fact, while I haven’t ripped that many CDs on the unit (having already done my collection a few years ago), I always prefer the local file over Tidal or Qobuz, except in certain instances where I know the cloud file to be superior.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Some DIY isolation under the ZEN:

BE93E322-C5AF-43DF-B960-3D1EA938B505.thumb.jpeg.17b6de87e930ac00800d947f6d2e73cd.jpeg

Looks interesting Hydrology. I was introduced to the idea of isolation by a audiophile friend. Thought it was a waste of financial resources. Started with the Solid Steel shelves, and was surprised by the improvements. Next, found there significantly more improvements (lower noise floor, better tighter bass, clearer mids, better sound staging), with adding Honey comb lava Basalt slabs and Stainless Mecados and Nordost Kones. The more slabs of Basalt (each weighing 20kg) and layers of isolation in between, made a difference. I was limited by shelf height in the end. Beyond two Basalt layers, the improvement diminished. For those interested, Google Mecados audio for further details about the science of how they work. Under my Innuos Zen Mk 3, I use Mecados, Basalt, Nordost Kones BC.

20190630_013253.jpg

20190707_125031.jpg

20201022_183318.jpg

20201022_183329.jpg

20200225_170553.jpg

20200225_170705.jpg

20200225_170747.jpg

20200225_170757.jpg

20200225_170547.jpg

20190901_155512.jpg

20191127_172127.jpg

20191205_200947.jpg

nordost_sort_kone.jpg

Nordost-Sort-Kone-cutaway.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2021 at 3:15 PM, Hydrology said:

To be honest mate I have no insider info on this one!!! Hopefully its the new 2.0

Hi,

Any word on the new 2.0? It is  March 3rd, and just checked my Innuos was updated with the latest software 1.4.7? The My Innuos page said this was the Updated app? No 2.0 upgrade yet?

37 minutes ago, Silver Audiophile said:

Hi,

Any word on the new 2.0? It is  March 3rd, and just checked my Innuos was updated with the latest software 1.4.7? The My Innuos page said this was the Updated app? No 2.0 upgrade yet?

1835722544_Screenshot2021-03-0316_16_56.png.6896e5b97677d6a6591eed3141c7e3bf.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

15 hours ago, AussieMick said:

Hi all

I’ve purchased a Zen Mk3...what’s the first thing I should do? Put my laptop n the bin?

Mick 

Hi Mick. Definitely no. The Innuos can pull songs off your Laptop connected to your home network. While most of us the Innuos as a streamer for Tidal etc, it is nice to have the option of occasionally listening to music stored on the hard drive (after ripping CDs), or listening to music stored on computers in your home network. Also, from memory, when I first bought my Innuos Zen Mk3 new, it sounded mega thin and bright. After about 2-3 weeks of use, it turned into the sweetest warm detailed player!

Good to know about the burn in needed, thank you. I’ll be ripping my CD collection and I have a NAS drive as well. The laptop won’t get anywhere near my hifi system anymore. An “electrical storm in a box”. 

Anybody finding value in an aftermarket power cable?

All the best

Mick

9 hours ago, AussieMick said:

Anybody finding value in an aftermarket power cable?

All the best

Mick

Absolutely, I was initially very sceptical about power cords. Tried Nordost, A Sydney made custom audiophile cable (from Len Wallis Audio), Voodoo cables in the US, etc. All, made a big difference. However, it was the Ice Age power cables from Ice Age Audio that made the most profound difference. Google 'Ice Age Audio' power cables. Well priced and heavy gauge Cooper, cryo frozen treated, and made with AU plugs by an American company. I and my friends ended buying about 20 cables from this company. Zero regrets.

• Thanks 1