Innuos Owners and Discussions Thread

Still thinking about a Zen Mini for its ripping/storing/playing ability in one box without an outboard DAC required.Although I am almost 80% vinyl in terms of listening, I have far too may CDs laying around and physical storage of them is becoming a real issue.

I don't do any streaming at all currently, but this would be a nice icing to the cake and it would help me identify music I wish to buy for vinyl replay, so in that sense it appears to be complimentary and I really, really, just want something as simple as possible but with great SQ.

Hmmm.?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Have to say that using the Innuos/Roon combination with SqueezeLite running is a huge leap in sonic performance. Many have been saying it comes at a cost (stability) but so far no issues here.

2020-10-06.thumb.png.dbb657d4687aee1d74890aa69cf4637c.png

Why not Roon core only as opposed to with the Squeezelite player?

• Like 1

I'll join in. I have an Innuos Zenith MKIII 4tb. Running Roon as core, haven't tried using Squeezelite yet.

I moved on to the Zenith from an Aurender N100H streamer. The ripping functionality of the Zenith is first rate, and I re-ripped all of my CDs. Roon is much nicer to use, although the Aurender software was no slouch. Tidal integration is much smoother with Roon/Innuos. Overall it is a much better user experience

Sound quality is difficult to say as I didn't compare them side by side, and I also had some other changes thrown into the mix at the same time. Buyers bias says the Zenith sounds better though ?

Not cheap, but I am happy with my decision. Next step is to run a Cat 6 cable through the wall to the family room system in order to stream directly from the Zenith to a Squeezebox Touch as Roon endpoint, skipping the home network. Two for the price of one!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Is there an explanation for the step up in SQ?

There is, but Im probably not well enough up to speed to explain nor justify. Squeezelite is an option inside Roon (just not supported by Roon Labs so users use at own risk/results).

However one of the benefits is the track is preloaded into RAM in order to reduce noise (and of course the hard drive is not been accessed continually). As SqueezeLite is experimental, its not really recommended for trigger happy people hitting the "next" button everytime.

Plenty of info on the interwebs, but to iterate, the Innuos has been a big improvement in SQ over my Nucleus, the SqueezeLite takes it to another level.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

There is, but Im probably not well enough up to speed to explain nor justify. Squeezelite is an option inside Roon (just not supported by Roon Labs so users use at own risk/results).

However one of the benefits is the track is preloaded into RAM in order to reduce noise (and of course the hard drive is not been accessed continually). As SqueezeLite is experimental, its not really recommended for trigger happy people hitting the "next" button everytime.

Plenty of info on the interwebs, but to iterate, the Innuos has been a big improvement in SQ over my Nucleus, the SqueezeLite takes it to another level.

I am seriously looking at this as a future upgrade. I like the fact that it can run as a Roon core and can be plugged into my DAC via USB. But it looks  like it doesn’t support MQA right?

5 minutes ago, rantan said:

My apologies in advance if this is a noob question. Is the disk storage in the Innuos line up conventional or SSD and how good( or not ) is the onboard DAC?

Don’t think it has an onboard DAC. 

9 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

I am seriously looking at this as a future upgrade. I like the fact that it can run as a Roon core and can be plugged into my DAC via USB. But it looks  like it doesn’t support MQA right?

MQA is supported - it depends on whether your DAC supports it.

7 minutes ago, rantan said:

My apologies in advance if this is a noob question. Is the disk storage in the Innuos line up conventional or SSD and how good( or not ) is the onboard DAC?

The Zen Mini is the only model in the range with an onboard DAC. Most reviews tend to downplay its ability - in my dayjob we have it connected (via analogue) to our Line Magnetic 845Premium which in turn is driving the Wharfedale Elysian 4 and I think its sounds bloody good - far far better than the comments made it out to be. In fact, it was this configuration (I have the same speakers) that convinced me Innuos was the way to go at home.

Standard drives in the models until you get to ZENith, which become SSD.

• Thanks 1

I should also iterate that the power supply add-on for the Mini does make a very large difference, particularly using the analogue out. The power supply stages are designed by Dr. Sean Jacobs for Innuos - he knows his stuff!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hydrology said:

The Zen Mini is the only model in the range with an onboard DAC. Most reviews tend to downplay its ability - in my dayjob we have it connected (via analogue) to our Line Magnetic 845Premium which in turn is driving the Wharfedale Elysian 4 and I think its sounds bloody good - far far better than the comments made it out to be. In fact, it was this configuration (I have the same speakers) that convinced me Innuos was the way to go at home.

Standard drives in the models until you get to ZENith, which become SSD.

Thanks Mark.

Great to know that the standard DAC is good. My only (minor) concern is the standard hard drive. I have head many sad tales about hard disc failure, but it probably isn't a deal breaker.

6 minutes ago, rantan said:

Thanks Mark.

Great to know that the standard DAC is good. My only (minor) concern is the standard hard drive. I have head many sad tales about hard disc failure, but it probably isn't a deal breaker.

Depends.

I am one of the oldest Innuos customers...I have their original Liv Zen (before Innuos) with 2TB HDD for almost 9 years....of course it is backed in to NAS and a portable HDD. 

They used to sell them on eBay.. ?

10 minutes ago, rantan said:

Thanks Mark.

I've been very fortunate in my hard drive life - Ive only had one drive ever fail but always kept a backup anyways.

It is a little bit more complex with Innuos because they havent been designed for the drives to user-replaceable. They are a little secretive of their processes but the drives do get some isolation materials attached to them and the process of readying the drive takes 7 days. This is not to make more money (although I'm sure people with disagree) but all about improving sonic performance.
So while I only have about 1.3TB of music I just decided to bite the bullet and get a 4TB model.
I do like the fact that I can plug in a drive into the back of the unit and at least keep a constant backup of the music.