Jump to content

Innuos Music Servers Owners and Discussions Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just thought I would start an owners thread for all discussions relating to Innuos.   Myself, running a 4TB ZEN MK3.  

Looks interesting Hydrology. I was introduced to the idea of isolation by a audiophile friend. Thought it was a waste of financial resources. Started with the Solid Steel shelves, and was surprised by

Have to say that using the Innuos/Roon combination with SqueezeLite running is a huge leap in sonic performance. Many have been saying it comes at a cost (stability) but so far no issues here.

2020-10-06.thumb.png.dbb657d4687aee1d74890aa69cf4637c.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still thinking about a Zen Mini for its ripping/storing/playing ability in one box without an outboard DAC required.Although I am almost 80% vinyl in terms of listening, I have far too may CDs laying around and physical storage of them is becoming a real issue.

 

I don't do any streaming at all currently, but this would be a nice icing to the cake and it would help me identify music I wish to buy for vinyl replay, so in that sense it appears to be complimentary and I really, really, just want something as simple as possible but with great SQ.

 

Hmmm.🤔

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Have to say that using the Innuos/Roon combination with SqueezeLite running is a huge leap in sonic performance. Many have been saying it comes at a cost (stability) but so far no issues here.

2020-10-06.thumb.png.dbb657d4687aee1d74890aa69cf4637c.png

Why not Roon core only as opposed to with the Squeezelite player?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


I'll join in. I have an Innuos Zenith MKIII 4tb. Running Roon as core, haven't tried using Squeezelite yet.

 

I moved on to the Zenith from an Aurender N100H streamer. The ripping functionality of the Zenith is first rate, and I re-ripped all of my CDs. Roon is much nicer to use, although the Aurender software was no slouch. Tidal integration is much smoother with Roon/Innuos. Overall it is a much better user experience

 

Sound quality is difficult to say as I didn't compare them side by side, and I also had some other changes thrown into the mix at the same time. Buyers bias says the Zenith sounds better though 🙂

 

Not cheap, but I am happy with my decision. Next step is to run a Cat 6 cable through the wall to the family room system in order to stream directly from the Zenith to a Squeezebox Touch as Roon endpoint, skipping the home network. Two for the price of one!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

Why not Roon core only as opposed to with the Squeezelite player?

First few days was just the Core but since turning on Squeezelite the sound quality has jumped up a few notches.

Link to post
Share on other sites

While SqueezeLite is a big step up in performance, be aware that as it is not using RAAT protocols, therefore it is NOT available through ethernet; USB being the preferred option in this case.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/10/2020 at 11:31 PM, Hydrology said:

First few days was just the Core but since turning on Squeezelite the sound quality has jumped up a few notches.

Is there an explanation for the step up in SQ?

Link to post
Share on other sites


17 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Is there an explanation for the step up in SQ?

There is, but Im probably not well enough up to speed to explain nor justify. Squeezelite is an option inside Roon (just not supported by Roon Labs so users use at own risk/results).

 

However one of the benefits is the track is preloaded into RAM in order to reduce noise (and of course the hard drive is not been accessed continually). As SqueezeLite is experimental, its not really recommended for trigger happy people hitting the "next" button everytime.

 

Plenty of info on the interwebs, but to iterate, the Innuos has been a big improvement in SQ over my Nucleus, the SqueezeLite takes it to another level.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

There is, but Im probably not well enough up to speed to explain nor justify. Squeezelite is an option inside Roon (just not supported by Roon Labs so users use at own risk/results).

 

However one of the benefits is the track is preloaded into RAM in order to reduce noise (and of course the hard drive is not been accessed continually). As SqueezeLite is experimental, its not really recommended for trigger happy people hitting the "next" button everytime.

 

Plenty of info on the interwebs, but to iterate, the Innuos has been a big improvement in SQ over my Nucleus, the SqueezeLite takes it to another level.


I am seriously looking at this as a future upgrade. I like the fact that it can run as a Roon core and can be plugged into my DAC via USB. But it looks  like it doesn’t support MQA right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies in advance if this is a noob question. Is the disk storage in the Innuos line up conventional or SSD and how good( or not ) is the onboard DAC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rantan said:

My apologies in advance if this is a noob question. Is the disk storage in the Innuos line up conventional or SSD and how good( or not ) is the onboard DAC?

Don’t think it has an onboard DAC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:


I am seriously looking at this as a future upgrade. I like the fact that it can run as a Roon core and can be plugged into my DAC via USB. But it looks  like it doesn’t support MQA right?

MQA is supported - it depends on whether your DAC supports it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cardiiiii said:

Don’t think it has an onboard DAC. 

The Zen Mini MK III does if I am not mistaken.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rantan said:

My apologies in advance if this is a noob question. Is the disk storage in the Innuos line up conventional or SSD and how good( or not ) is the onboard DAC?

The Zen Mini is the only model in the range with an onboard DAC. Most reviews tend to downplay its ability - in my dayjob we have it connected (via analogue) to our Line Magnetic 845Premium which in turn is driving the Wharfedale Elysian 4 and I think its sounds bloody good - far far better than the comments made it out to be. In fact, it was this configuration (I have the same speakers) that convinced me Innuos was the way to go at home.

Standard drives in the models until you get to ZENith, which become SSD.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

MQA is supported - it depends on whether your DAC supports it.

So it will do the first software unfold and the DAC has to do the rest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I should also iterate that the power supply add-on for the Mini does make a very large difference, particularly using the analogue out. The power supply stages are designed by Dr. Sean Jacobs for Innuos - he knows his stuff!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hydrology said:

The Zen Mini is the only model in the range with an onboard DAC. Most reviews tend to downplay its ability - in my dayjob we have it connected (via analogue) to our Line Magnetic 845Premium which in turn is driving the Wharfedale Elysian 4 and I think its sounds bloody good - far far better than the comments made it out to be. In fact, it was this configuration (I have the same speakers) that convinced me Innuos was the way to go at home.

Standard drives in the models until you get to ZENith, which become SSD.

Thanks Mark.

Great to know that the standard DAC is good. My only (minor) concern is the standard hard drive. I have head many sad tales about hard disc failure, but it probably isn't a deal breaker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rantan said:

Thanks Mark.

Great to know that the standard DAC is good. My only (minor) concern is the standard hard drive. I have head many sad tales about hard disc failure, but it probably isn't a deal breaker.

Depends.

I am one of the oldest Innuos customers...I have their original Liv Zen (before Innuos) with 2TB HDD for almost 9 years....of course it is backed in to NAS and a portable HDD. 

They used to sell them on eBay.. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rantan said:

Thanks Mark.

Great to know that the standard DAC is good. My only (minor) concern is the standard hard drive. I have head many sad tales about hard disc failure, but it probably isn't a deal breaker.

I've been very fortunate in my hard drive life - Ive only had one drive ever fail but always kept a backup anyways.

It is a little bit more complex with Innuos because they havent been designed for the drives to user-replaceable. They are a little secretive of their processes but the drives do get some isolation materials attached to them and the process of readying the drive takes 7 days. This is not to make more money (although I'm sure people with disagree) but all about improving sonic performance.
So while I only have about 1.3TB of music I just decided to bite the bullet and get a 4TB model.
I do like the fact that I can plug in a drive into the back of the unit and at least keep a constant backup of the music.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The ripping process is fantastic. I had already done my entire collection a couple of years ago (using XLD on a Mac) but I did acquire some reference CD recordings this week so decided to give the ripping section a workout and it wokred 100& of the time

 

886896616_ScreenShot2020-10-18at9_16_38am.thumb.png.46fef3ef97fea755dd00667672d79408.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I own the innuos Zen Mk3 (2TB). I find the CD ripping process seamless and smooth (direct from the Innuos onboard CD slot). However, playback SQ I've noticed is significantly inferior the the SQ from streaming Tidal over the same Innuos. To the point, I don't bother ripping and storing CD's anymore.

Edited by Silver Audiophile
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Silver Audiophile said:

I own the innuos Zen Mk3 (2TB). I find the CD ripping process seamless and smooth. However, playback SQ I've noticed is significantly inferior the the SQ from streaming Tidal over the same Innuos. To the point, I don't bother ripping and storing CD's anymore.

 

Sorry to read that.

 

It is virtually half of the function of the device and if ripping yields poor SQ then this is a great concern and lessens the appeal for potential buyers.,

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rantan said:

 

Sorry to read that.

 

It is virtually half of the function of the device and if ripping yields poor SQ then this is a great concern and lessens the appeal for potential buyers.,

Don't get me wrong. The Innuos sounds absolutely amazing as a Tidal Streamer. Tidal is where 99% of my music collection lies anyhow, and well and truly worth the money I spent on it alone. I will contact Innuos in the UK for a more detailed explanation about the CD ripping and storage SQ issue. Perhaps it is the disk drive letting it down and not a problem with the more expensive Zenith and it's solid state drive?

Edited by Silver Audiophile
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silver Audiophile said:

I own the innuos Zen Mk3 (2TB). I find the CD ripping process seamless and smooth (direct from the Innuos onboard CD slot). However, playback SQ I've noticed is significantly inferior the the SQ from streaming Tidal over the same Innuos. To the point, I don't bother ripping and storing CD's anymore.

I can’t say that I’ve found the ripping process and subsequent sound quality on playback inferior. In fact, while I haven’t ripped that many CDs on the unit (having already done my collection a few years ago), I always prefer the local file over Tidal or Qobuz, except in certain instances where I know the cloud file to be superior.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Some DIY isolation under the ZEN:

 

BE93E322-C5AF-43DF-B960-3D1EA938B505.thumb.jpeg.17b6de87e930ac00800d947f6d2e73cd.jpeg

 

 

Looks interesting Hydrology. I was introduced to the idea of isolation by a audiophile friend. Thought it was a waste of financial resources. Started with the Solid Steel shelves, and was surprised by the improvements. Next, found there significantly more improvements (lower noise floor, better tighter bass, clearer mids, better sound staging), with adding Honey comb lava Basalt slabs and Stainless Mecados and Nordost Kones. The more slabs of Basalt (each weighing 20kg) and layers of isolation in between, made a difference. I was limited by shelf height in the end. Beyond two Basalt layers, the improvement diminished. For those interested, Google Mecados audio for further details about the science of how they work. Under my Innuos Zen Mk 3, I use Mecados, Basalt, Nordost Kones BC.

 

 

20190630_013253.jpg

 

 

20190707_125031.jpg

 

 

20201022_183318.jpg

 

 

20201022_183329.jpg

 

 

20200225_170553.jpg

 

 

20200225_170705.jpg

 

 

20200225_170747.jpg

 

 

20200225_170757.jpg

 

 

20200225_170547.jpg

 

 

20190901_155512.jpg

 

 

20191127_172127.jpg

 

 

20191205_200947.jpg

 

 

nordost_sort_kone.jpg

 

 

Nordost-Sort-Kone-cutaway.jpg

 

 

Edited by Silver Audiophile
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Innuos released update 1.4.7 overnight.

Was that the iOS ? edit - sorry just looked it up 2.0 will be the iOS.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Was that the iOS ? edit - sorry just looked it up 2.0 will be the iOS.

Getting closer though!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...