• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love this solo by Prince, love it when he gives Goerges son a cheeky grin then takes it to 11 and leaves everyone else on stage for dead      

I am sure this has been done before, but the search does not seem to bring anything up - might be some fun anyway.   Pink Floyd - Comfortably Young  - I remember being at high school suppose

Didn't think too long on it, but reckon Richard Thompson is one of the best guitarists out there, and this one came to mind:          

Heroin Live - Lou Reed

Stairway to Heaven - Jimmy Page

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Highway Star - Deep Purple 'Made in Japan'

Yep - old guy here 🙂

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Rob McHugh said:

Heroin Live - Lou Reed

Stairway to Heaven - Jimmy Page

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Highway Star - Deep Purple 'Made in Japan'

Yep - old guy here 🙂

Rob

I feel like I could guess the age of everyone in this thread by matching the song they chose to the year they turned 14 :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not my absolute favourite, but I heard it first when I was 13 on a 50's compilations cassette. It blew me away...

And then many years passed I didn't hear it, and Jeff Beck starts playing this on his "Rock and Roll" party album. I was again gobsmacked at how nice this song is. Such a peaceful feeling.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, betocool said:

Not my absolute favourite, but I heard it first when I was 13 on a 50's compilations cassette. It blew me away...

And then many years passed I didn't hear it, and Jeff Beck starts playing this on his "Rock and Roll" party album. I was again gobsmacked at how nice this song is. Such a peaceful feeling.

Cheers,

Alberto

hank plays it beautifully,have a listen to santo and johny play  on pedal steel .

On 05/10/2020 at 9:22 AM, cazzesman said:

Anything by Eric

Regards Cazzesman

wow and upside down too.. amazing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pulinap said:

in the right hands the tele is the stradivarius of guitars.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 08/10/2020 at 7:00 PM, ray4410 said:

in the right hands the tele is the stradivarius of guitars.

Greatest tone from the Greatest unknown guitarist.... A tortured soul.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 3:37 PM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Better known as a jazz/ session keyboard player, David Sancious picks up the guitar and plays a song dedicated to Hendrix.

Sky Church Hymn #9.

Not a bad effort for a guy who only picked up a guitar with serious intent only a couple of years earlier.

• Like 2
On 05/10/2020 at 1:29 AM, Smp said:

David Gilmour, Pink Floyd - “Comfortably Numb” - Pulse live version.

Yeah, that is hard to beat.. 

For the Love of God - Steve Vai

(one take, the whole 6 mins) 

And the whole Joe Satriani Discography 

• Like 1
On 06/10/2020 at 9:05 PM, Hannesb said:

Tom Morello from Rage against the Machine on the Ghost of Tom Joad with Springsteen 

https://youtu.be/e9f-F1CAB24

This popped up in my Spotify feed early last year and blew my feeble little mind, not just Tom Morello's playing, but the whole song

Top stuff

On 06/10/2020 at 9:14 AM, Hergest said:

A brilliant one that I never get tired of hearing is 10.c.c's Eric Stewart on Feel The Benefit from the Deceptive Bends

Yes! Yes! Yes!   One of the greatest solos ever!!!

"The Irish Wonder" - Rory Gallagher. 

Against the Grain - Lost at Sea

Irish Tour 1974 - Tattooed Lady

(the fact that his guitar is arguably not completely in tune, absolutely does not matter!)

• Like 3
On 05/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, LogicprObe said:

Everytime these two guys play this song, it's magic.

The live album of this was another one that turned up my Spotify feed a while back, phone was out of reach so didn't know who it was at first, thought it was SRV. 

If I owned this Album on vinyl, it would be well a truly worn-out by now. 

Spotify has also introduced be to Joe Bonamassa, still haven't worked out of I like him or not, good session player methinks... But he does well in Black Country Communion. Their live DVD goes off. 

Edited by Hytram
  • Like 1

Strictly speaking not a 'guitar solo' but an intro instead. Heck, it is still a great piece of acoustic guitar music.

• Like 1

This is one I like, starts around 2:10 Maybe not the most technical, but just seems to fit together very well.

In no particular order (and I'm old) ...

Blind Willie Johnson: Dark Was The Night And Cold Was The Ground

Rory: Walk On Hot Coals

Clapton: Crossroads

Al Wilson (thought it was Harvey Mandel, but apparently not): Let's Work Together

James Burton: Oh Suzie Q

Jimi: Villanova Junction. So beautiful ...

Edited by k-k-k-kenny
  • Like 1

Alex Lifeson (Rush) "La Villa Strangiato"

Elliot Randall (Steely Dan) "Reeling in the Years"

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) "Die Young"

Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple) "Highway Star"

Steve Howe (Yes) "Starship Trooper"

Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen) "Drop Dead Legs"

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) "Whole Lotta Love"

Keith Richard (The Rolling Stones) "Sympathy for the Devil"

Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsys) "Machine Gun"

Hugh Burns (Gerry Rafferty) "Baker Street"

Frank Zappa (Mothers of Invention) "Willie the Pimp"

Allen Collins, Ed Burns, Garry Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd) "Free Bird"

• Like 2

What about the guitar work in this  - Neil Young and Devo "Hey Hey, My My" with Booji Boy on synth in a cot. 

On 04/10/2020 at 9:24 PM, RankStranger said:

this

@RankStranger great choice - i missed this thread until today and that's the first one i thought of. J Mascis letting it all out :-)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, rowbo said:

@RankStranger great choice - i missed this thread until today and that's the first one i thought of. J Mascis letting it all out 🙂

He throws every lick he knows at that guitar solo and from someone who wasn’t trying so hard it would be pretty rote. From him it’s filled with so much teenage-boy’s-bedroom angst and effort to be seen that it kills me every time

• Like 1

Some of my favourites (all outros):

Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple) - Mistreated (from Burn) - restraint that builds.

Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominos) - I Looked Away (from Layla....) - short but so sweet!

Carlos Santana (Santana) - Taboo (from III, or it could be Neil Schon!) - cat strangling at its best and totally spent after the final note!

Guthrie Govan (Steven Wilson) - Drive Home (from the Raven that Refused to Sing) - like David Gilmour on steriods!

Robert Randolph playing Voodoo Child on his signature Peavey Power Slide guitar (I didn't even know this existed).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The early '70's had some wonderful stuff, y'know. It was a time when there were far less labels on music than there is now. Lots of experimentation coming in from all over the place. Heavy Metal was years away, coming, in my opinion, with the second wave, the stylistic bandwagon jumpers, those who recognised what furrow they wanted to plough only after someone showed them the field in the first place.

Anyway, from that time before the handy labels, the title song to Uriah Heep's second album, Salisbury. It's long, it's jazzy in parts, it has an orchestra and, most importantly, it has  an absolutely riveting guitar solo that comes in three parts. Here it is in full. If you just want the solo then begin at the 11:20 mark, but for it to make full musical sense you really should start at the beginning. Mick Box rarely troubles the "Greatest Guitarist of All Time" lists, but this is worthy of you time. Enjoy.

Edited by JukKluk2
  • Like 3

Two that jump out at me...

Mark Knopfler - Telegraph Road (Studio version)

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden) - Like Suicide from Superunknown LP

They both get me in the feels every time...