Favourite Guitar Solo's

2 hours ago, emesbee said:

Well, a large part of what came next was a lot more boring than what went before (in my opinion). And then you had the 80s (groan, shudder, .... nuf said).

The worst offenders were the Sex Pistols, a marketing strategy from beginning to end (and everyone fell for it). Never Mind the Bollocks has four good songs on it, the rest is trash, pure f*%#ing trash. The real tragedy there was that it ended up costing two naive young people their lives, just so bags of money could be made.

23 minutes ago, Phill451 said:

I would have picked Impossible Germany, so many great guitar parts to choose from.

It was line ball between them :). I have a soft spot for this one and @zippi posted a great live impossible Germany which would’ve been the version I picked anyway. Yeah, lots to choose from though, even pre-Nels

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

So, how many Balinese guitar virtuosi do you have in your collection? Especially ones who have shared the stage with John McLaughlin? Try Dewa Budjana.

I have about 5 from his catalogue of about 10 albums IIRC.

I also have 2 on the wishlist - "Home" from 2005 and "Joged Kahyangan" from 2013

The guy is a straight out freak......

db2.jpg

db1.jpg

db3.jpg

db4.jpg

db5.jpg

26 minutes ago, progladyte said:

I have about 5 from his catalogue of about 10 albums IIRC.

I also have 2 on the wishlist - "Home" from 2005 and "Joged Kahyangan" from 2013

The guy is a straight out freak......

db2.jpg

db1.jpg

db3.jpg

db4.jpg

db5.jpg

That comes as no surprise to me @progladyte, if anyone was going have him in their collection it was bound to be you.

I have seven of his, plus a Best Of (Postcard from Bali) and a collaboration with Tohpati.

Interested parties can find a lot of his work on Bandcamp, where the already mentioned Best Of is a free download. Just remember though, that it is mixture of sample/bit rates; if your system can only go as far as 44.1/16 (CD quality) you won't be able to play some of what's on there.

And yes, he is a straight out freak (in the nicest possible way).

• Like 1

Robert Cray; because originality both in tone and phrasing

Kid Ramos (Fabulous Thunderbirds) - 'Look Whatcha Done' because original 50s Fender Esquire, relentless, obscure/underrated

Josh Cunningham (The Waifs) - Sundirtwater because concise,spanky, builds his own guitars, Australian.

Chris Cheney (The Living End) - Anything from their self-titled album because it's one of the best Australian albums ever recorded.

Just the first few that sprung to mind that aren't super obvious and I could be arsed youtubing..

• Like 1

Three favourites:

FREE - HEAVY LOAD : Paul Kossoff showing that less can be more. A tight and tone perfect reflection of the lyric.

HEADBAND - GOODBYE MOTHER NATURE : Mauri Berg plays with exquisite taste and one of the richest guitar tones to grace an Aussie album. 

SKYHOOKS - POINT IN THE DISTANCE : Bob Spencer cut a chiming and precisely written play- out solo that decades later still gives me goosebumps. Perfection.

Billy.

A short and sweet solo from Atomic Rooster - It cuts in at the 1:28 minute mark and is all but over in less than 30 odd seconds but just proves that, slow, emotional, melodic note playing and proper phrasing beats outright shredding every time. I still get a kick out of this track.

Another very emotionally charged and melodic series of guitar excursions from one of my favourite European bands. This track is from their 2000 comeback album called Close To The Fire. The track is called Frozen Flame and also features some gorgeous synthesizer throughout. Just ask Dave @Anatoly Beaver-Hausen what he thinks of this fantastic band and this song in particular.

Again, it just proves that while speed and sheer dexterity (Al Di Meola etc) are great talents to have, careful arrangements and melody win out every time. Just love this track so much!

Edited by progladyte
  • Love 1

On 22/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, pulinap said:

The quintessential southern anthem from the Proud Boys....originally dedicated for their much beloved muse Skydog...and ironically ended up being their own epitaph.

One of my favourite clips too.

He’s not one of the great soloists, but was a big part of the inspiration for The Pixies and Nirvana from his days in Husker Du.

Tilted from his next band Sugar was one of the rare times he just shredded and the solo is pretty amazing. The song is a part of a great EP called Beaster that gets a regular spanking in this household.

The godfather of grunge or some **** they call him, but he’s one hell of a songwriter and a top bloke the few time’s I’ve met him.

On 16/10/2020 at 6:52 PM, Anatoly Beaver-Hausen said:

Three favourites:

FREE - HEAVY LOAD : Paul Kossoff showing that less can be more. A tight and tone perfect reflection of the lyric.

HEADBAND - GOODBYE MOTHER NATURE : Mauri Berg plays with exquisite taste and one of the richest guitar tones to grace an Aussie album. 

SKYHOOKS - POINT IN THE DISTANCE : Bob Spencer cut a chiming and precisely written play- out solo that decades later still gives me goosebumps. Perfection.

Billy.

Bob Spencer is a member on here. I'll see if I can summon him :)

@onebaldbloke